Asking for a LOR now...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I won't be applying until the summer of 2016 so that's in 2 cycles but there's this dentist who i've already shadowed like 30 hours and have a great relationship so I'm just wondering if it would be fine for me to ask him for a LOR sometime by the end of this year and upload to interfolio?

I feel like it's really early considering I won't be applying for nearly 2 years but I have a great relationship with him HE WILL right me a GREAT LOR and since I already have 30ish shadowing hours I won't be seeing him much anymore so what do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like it's really early considering I won't be applying for nearly 2 years but I have a great relationship with him HE WILL right me a GREAT LOR and since I already have 30ish shadowing hours I won't be seeing him much anymore so what do?
write*

Why don't you keep shadowing him for the next 2 years or so? 30 hrs is on the low side so if you can rake up 100+ that would awesome. Many students (myself included ) have raked up over 500 hrs of Shadowing.

You can get it now and when the cycle approaches, use that one or submit a different one if you can get a better one between now and then.
But it'd be fine for me to use a LOR that's like 1.5 years old?

If you plan to apply to Tufts, they req at least 40 hrs of shadowing with your Dentist documenting in the LOR itself that you have shadowed 40hrs+. So make sure you get that in there if you plan to apply to tufts and if you're planning on getting it 2 years in advance

How does one go about knowing who to ask as a letter of recommendation? I know this might sound stupid, but I have two dentists in mind (one who I have shadowed more often and one who has known me longer with better connections to dental schools) and don't know who to ask...

Ok so I won't be applying until the summer of 2016 so that's in 2 cycles but there's this dentist who i've already shadowed like 30 hours and have a great relationship so I'm just wondering if it would be fine for me to ask him for a LOR sometime by the end of this year and upload to interfolio?

You're excluding yourself from a lot of options if you stop at 30 hours. I would aim to get over 100 to have the most options possible. It'll put you at a disadvantage compared to other applicants. If you're going to shadow a different dentist and really want a letter from this specific one ask him now. Otherwise keep shadowing him then ask for a letter closer to the date.

Make sure you keep written copy of it if you end up getting it. My college only holds letters of recommendation to use in the committee letter for two years so you may want to see your schools policy.

How does one go about knowing who to ask as a letter of recommendation? I know this might sound stupid, but I have two dentists in mind (one who I have shadowed more often and one who has known me longer with better connections to dental schools) and don't know who to ask...

Gotta pick one, whichever you think will be more beneficial.

You're excluding yourself from a lot of options if you stop at 30 hours. I would aim to get over 100 to have the most options possible. It'll put you at a disadvantage compared to other applicants. If you're going to shadow a different dentist and really want a letter from this specific one ask him now. Otherwise keep shadowing him then ask for a letter closer to the date.
I meant that I have 30 hours with THIS DENTIST, I already have over 50+ hours including other dentists and will definitely get over 100 total

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm.. Tough question! I remember having the same dilemma when I was in your shoes last year. (I ended up not asking for a letter.) As far as what you should do, I'd say since doc toothology says it's ok, go for it! :)