Asking for letter of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tport

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again,
I have another question. I am waiting on one last letter of rec that I need to get from a physician. I have been working at a clinic shadowing osteopathic physicians. I do not work with the same physician every week, but I rotate throughout a group of them. I see the same ones in the office every week, but have not worked with one in specific. My question is, have any of you asked a physician for a letter of rec that you only worked with directly a few times? I can wait longer, to get more experience with the doctors so they know me better, but I really would like to get the letter in sooner rather than later. How did you go about asking a physician for a letter if they really don't know you super well? Any input would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would approach one physician and simply ask them. They know your situation and that you are applying to medical school. Ask them if they think they could write a well thought out letter of reccommendation based on the amount of time they spent with you. If not ask to shadow a few more times...or ask another doc.

My letter from a DO i got after shadowing him for only like 5 hours. He told me that he got his letter from a DO without even shadowing, just going in to the DO's practice one day and talked with him. I have even had another DO I came across offer to write me a letter within like 5 minutes of meeting her.

I dont know for sure, but I think the whole DO letter is simply a check to make sure you have atleast talked to another DO rather than just shadowing MD's all the time and using the DO schools as a backup incase you dont get into an allopathic program. Hence, I remember reading of one school, i think it was Bradenton, which allows you to go talk to a DO after your interviews there and get a letter from him/her if you were unable to procure a letter on your own.

if you are applying for this cycle I would get a letter as soon as possible because most schools don't look at your application until its complete in its entirety. (including letters).
I would be direct and ask for one asap