Asking for letters of recommendation before my stated deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoonToBeDrG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Reapplicant here and therefore slightly paranoid about everything this time around. I'm already starting to receive secondaries and have the required letters that I COULD submit, however I'm still waiting on a letter from my former pediatrician that I shadowed between last app cycle and this one. Therefore, I really would like to get that letter included in my application.

So the question is, would it be appropriate to ask my letter writer if they happen to have the letter completed yet (today is two weeks before my deadline I listed)? Or is it better to allow the full time to write the recommendation and just wait on submitting secondaries for two weeks?

Thanks for responses in advance and sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Reapplicant here and therefore slightly paranoid about everything this time around. I'm already starting to receive secondaries and have the required letters that I COULD submit, however I'm still waiting on a letter from my former pediatrician that I shadowed between last app cycle and this one. Therefore, I really would like to get that letter included in my application.

So the question is, would it be appropriate to ask my letter writer if they happen to have the letter completed yet (today is two weeks before my deadline I listed)? Or is it better to allow the full time to write the recommendation and just wait on submitting secondaries for two weeks?

Thanks for responses in advance and sorry if this seems like a silly question.

If you feel fairly comfortable with them, send a gentle email asking if it would be possible to have it done a little faster because secondaries are out already. If they completed the letter they would have told you/sent it.

Basically just depends on your relationship. I'm kind of in a similar boat.

But that is why I gave the official "due date" and then said it would be great if you would be able to get it done 2 weeks prior to that date just to avoid any potential complications.

Good luck though, OP. If you have a decent relationship w/ him/her, I would simply go visit really quick, call, or email and just say that you wanted to check in to make sure that they weren't having any issues writing or submitting the letter as you just want to make this process as easy as possible for them since you know they are busy.

I'd word it that way somehow... I wouldn't ask "have you written my letter yet?" haha ;)

Thanks guys. She was my pediatrician for 18 years so I like to think we're close. I used the advice and hopefully I'll get the response "Oh I was about to send it anyway!". Good luck this cycle everyone!

Reactions: 1 users