Asking for letters of recommendation early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Remedium85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've perused several forums and I can't seem to find an answer to my question. So I'm at least 1 year out from applying to school, it depends on several different things, one of them being when I finally move back to the states (my husband is military and we live overseas). I've already started shadowing a couple physicians at the hospital here as well as volunteer work and I've also taken my bio pre-reqs here. My question is, should I ask for LOR now before my professor and the physicians forget about me? I would hate to wait until I apply and they forget about me. Also, if I do ask this early, should they just mail the LOR to me? Or email? I'm not exactly sure how it works. Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

Let them know that you will be asking for LORs from them 12 months from now so that they can store some notes about you. You should ask for a LOR from your professor in March or April of the application year. When the application opens in May 5, you can then send electronic requests to their email addresses from either AMCAS or AACOMAS to upload their letters. It's pretty simple. To answer your question, you DON'T ask a LOR 12 months before your application cycle.

LOR's can be tricky, especially with busy writers. Make sure to give them plenty of time. If there is a time gap, let them know so they can plan like have notes down or even write a version that they will update later. Also make sure the letters are on letterhead and dated appropriately for the application cycle.

I would continue to build relationships with them even if there's a gap because once you are off to school you will have a hard time keeping in touch unless you have a strong relationship.

Members don't see this ad :)
So we cannot ask for LOR's as we finish our classes?
I'll apply in 2 years and was planning to ask for LOR's after each class (every semester) and just store them in Interfolio until it's time to use them.
Is that wrong? Is using generic LOR's gonna hurt?

I think your LORs must be recent like within 6-12 months of the time you are applying to schools.