asking interviewer about chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johndoe3344

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you ask an interviewer about your competitiveness/chances at their particular school? Assuming it's an open file interview.

Members don't see this ad.

I read somewhere on really old threads that you could ask something like "Do you have any reservations on my ability to succeed at x medical school"

Does that sound like a better question to ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read somewhere on really old threads that you could ask something like "Do you have any reservations on my ability to succeed at x medical school"

Does that sound like a better question to ask?
They wouldn't interview you if they thought you couldn't hack it.

Bottom line, it's not your interviewer's decision whether or not you get in there. Numerous times interviewees have been told by the interviewer that they would be "seeing them next fall" or something similar and they don't get accepted.

Given that during the entire interview you were talking about how you would be competitive/successful at that school, I wouldn't ask that.

Can you ask an interviewer about your competitiveness/chances at their particular school? Assuming it's an open file interview.

lol, no...don't ask your interviewer about your chances...

A lot of times they have nothing to do with the decision making. They fill out the form rating you and they submit to the committee. I've had a few good interviews where they would say something along the lines of "I think you'd make a great candidate, and I'm going to rate you high, but none of this is in my hands, so I can't promise you anything", etc...

And even if they do have an influence, don't ask them about your chances. You're selling yourself as much as they should be selling their school.

Given that during the entire interview you were talking about how you would be competitive/successful at that school, I wouldn't ask that.

Exactly.

1. They didn't invite you to interview for no reason.
2. Asking this shows a lack of confidence in yourself; you're there to show that you deserve the chance to matriculate at that school despite what your numbers "say" about you.
3. Even if they did answer this, what does the answer really accomplish in terms of how you do at the actual interview itself? It's really a meaningless question to answer considering the fact that you've already cleared one of the biggest hurdles in the entire process.