Aspiring medical student, any tips/advice?

Gallix23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry if you guys don't like these kinds of threads, but I'd really like to get your opinion since you already completed college. I am a senior in high school and am entering college this year as a pre-med student. I would just like to know if you guys had any tips for classes I should take, things I should watch out for, or anything like that. I am very interested in medicine, so if you guys have any cool websites or books or anything to recommend I'd appreciate that also.

As for one last thing, do you guys know of any medical-related jobs that I could work at now? I mean like work in a hospital or clinic or anything like that so I can get some hands on experience?

Thank you, I appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

this should probably be in the pre-med boards Gallix

Yeah I know, but the reason I posted here was because I'd like some advice from people who have clearly went through college successfully...not people who are doing it currently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I know, but the reason I posted here was because I'd like some advice from people who have clearly went through college successfully...not people who are doing it currently.

Plenty of med students contribute to the pre-allo forums so it'll be fine there too. I'm sure it'll get moved soon. My advice is to first and foremost maintain a high gpa and get a high MCAT. With those you can just do a little shadowing here and there and be in good shape for medical school admissions. Too often I see people try to do way too many extracurriculars and drop their GPA to a point beyond any redemption.

This thread will definitely get moved to pre-allo but you'll likely get better advice there anyway. Most current med students are focused on surviving and looking toward residency and likely have forgotten (or blocked out the memory of) the intricacies of the med school application process. In any event, take some time to do some searches and read some threads over on the pre-allo board as there is literally no topic regarding med school admissions that hasn't already been discussed at length in excruciating neurotic detail before. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hahah, alright thanks guys, sorry about posting in the wrong spot.

Maintaining a high GPA and scoring a high MCAT are key. People rely too much on the rigor of their major (e.g. double science or engineering vs. music) or their extracurriculars to "bail them out," but that only works so far.

If you need to do an "easy" major to get a high GPA, do so. Also, try to make whatever jobs you do in college useful for your application - i.e. research technician is better than working in the dining hall.

Take time for the MCAT. It matters a lot. I took off a whole month to prepare for it.

If in the end you are thin on extracurriculars, you can always then take off a year or two and do some clinical/research experience after college to bolster the application. Correcting or compensating for a poor GPA is very difficult.

there are books and books dedicated solely on your question.... check your local library

Hey, a good start is to get a volunteer job at the university hospital. This will allow you to see different parts of the hospital. Also, shadow different medical positions. Study hard, and don't let ECs and volunteer get in the way of your studies.

Alright thanks guys. I was going to major in Bio and depending on where I decide to go to college my minor is pretty much up in the air. However, I've always gotten high marks in science so hopefully majoring in Bio will be a good choice, I'll just make sure not to burden myself.

So in a nutshell:

1.Maintain a high GPA
2. Prepare well for the MCAT
3. Get a reputable part time job
4. Do volunteer work in the community?

Is volunteer work requied for med school or is it just something that looks nice? Also, what are some classes you guys would say are "must haves" in terms of preparing me for the MCAT?

I appreciate all the help

Alright thanks guys. I was going to major in Bio and depending on where I decide to go to college my minor is pretty much up in the air. However, I've always gotten high marks in science so hopefully majoring in Bio will be a good choice, I'll just make sure not to burden myself.

So in a nutshell:

1.Maintain a high GPA
2. Prepare well for the MCAT
3. Get a reputable part time job
4. Do volunteer work in the community?

Is volunteer work requied for med school or is it just something that looks nice? Also, what are some classes you guys would say are "must haves" in terms of preparing me for the MCAT?

I appreciate all the help

Is it required? No

Should you do it? YES.

Really, all you NEED is a high GPA and MCAT score. The rest is gravy, but not really. Med school is not just numbers, unlike law school. You need to have done some stuff. Volunteering is (from what I hear), pretty much a given. Everyone has it, and you basically need it on there.

I would add research to your list as well. It helps, but is not required. Volunteering you need to do. I know I said it already. I think you have the general idea.

yes, volunteering or getting some type of medical exposure is highly recommended during undergrad. like many others have said before me, when you apply to medical school, knowing it is your true goal and aspiration is a must.

show the adcom it is truly the path for you. why would he/she admit a person who says they want to swim in the pool of doctors, when they haven't even waded in the shallow end before?

so I can get some hands on experience

Gallix23 I really appreciate your spirit!!! Wish you luck.

Hi Gallix.

Since college was only a couple of years ag of rme and my boyfriend just finished the app process it is still terrifyingly sharp in my mind. lol

If I could do it over again, I would have double majored - one in nursing/paramedics/EMT(not necessarily a major) and one in human physiology (that was my major and I loved it and it REALLY helps me in med school). Nursing/paramedics/EMT I would have done because there is no guarantee even with good grades and a decent mcat score that you'll get in the first time and all. So to have a RN, etc in you back pocket in case, it would be really awesome as experiential wise and would be helpful as a lucrative assisted income during med school breaks or just picking up a shift every once in a while.

I was a CNA (certified Nurse's Assistant). That's a real simple school and test that doesn't require much. It made me some money through college and medical schools liked it because I ended up working with geriatric/disabled & neuro patients. If you care about the people with whom you are working (not just slap your patients together and move on like many 'jaded' coparts) then your bed-side manner will really be improved and this shows - I score well in my practicals and have recieved many recommendations because I'm comfortable enough with the patients and them with me that it is easier for me to attend to their feelings and comfort while I am actually thinking about the medicine because it comes more naturally due to the practice.

Good luck Gallix23. Make sure that you provide yourself plenty of varied exposure: research (NIH has stuff even for high school students), clinical, shadowing, working, volunteering and of course only spend your extra time on it. MAKE SURE that you get your studies done first because that is very important.

The single most important thing I can tell you though: Go do it yourself! don't wait around for opportunities to come to you - you have to get out there and meet people and ask and make it happen. My shadowing ended up being me calling every doctor in the yellow pages in my small rural hometown and that was my in, one surgeon who took me on and introduced me to all his friends and liked talking to me about what I read up on his surgeries and the anatomy and patient care. That's how it goes.

Good Luck!!

Hi Gallix.

Since college was only a couple of years ag of rme and my boyfriend just finished the app process it is still terrifyingly sharp in my mind. lol

If I could do it over again, I would have double majored - one in nursing/paramedics/EMT(not necessarily a major) and one in human physiology (that was my major and I loved it and it REALLY helps me in med school). Nursing/paramedics/EMT I would have done because there is no guarantee even with good grades and a decent mcat score that you'll get in the first time and all. So to have a RN, etc in you back pocket in case, it would be really awesome as experiential wise and would be helpful as a lucrative assisted income during med school breaks or just picking up a shift every once in a while.

I was a CNA (certified Nurse's Assistant). That's a real simple school and test that doesn't require much. It made me some money through college and medical schools liked it because I ended up working with geriatric/disabled & neuro patients. If you care about the people with whom you are working (not just slap your patients together and move on like many 'jaded' coparts) then your bed-side manner will really be improved and this shows - I score well in my practicals and have recieved many recommendations because I'm comfortable enough with the patients and them with me that it is easier for me to attend to their feelings and comfort while I am actually thinking about the medicine because it comes more naturally due to the practice.

Good luck Gallix23. Make sure that you provide yourself plenty of varied exposure: research (NIH has stuff even for high school students), clinical, shadowing, working, volunteering and of course only spend your extra time on it. MAKE SURE that you get your studies done first because that is very important.

The single most important thing I can tell you though: Go do it yourself! don't wait around for opportunities to come to you - you have to get out there and meet people and ask and make it happen. My shadowing ended up being me calling every doctor in the yellow pages in my small rural hometown and that was my in, one surgeon who took me on and introduced me to all his friends and liked talking to me about what I read up on his surgeries and the anatomy and patient care. That's how it goes.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for all the advice!

Do most colleges help you find volunteering/shadowing opportunities as part of the pre-med advisement process?

study like your life depends on it