Aspiring medical student seeking advice

siddiqui1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently about to enter my final year of high school outside of the USA and also the second year within the IB educational curriculum. As of right now, my overall score for my subjects is 40/42, and my SAT score stands at an overall score of 1865 (I am taking the ACT along with prep courses to make up for this average score).

My question encompasses my chances of gaining acceptance into universities so I can pursue a Pre-med major and eventually (and hopefully) attend medical school. I am aware of the fact that some universities in the USA have a 6 year program which combines undergraduate and postgraduate studies, and I was wondering essentially what the difference in applying would be if I wanted to attend these.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

just go to a good college and take it from there.

Reactions: 1 user
You have essentially no shot at BS/MD programs ( if those are what you're referring to ) with an 1800s SAT and as an international, unfortunately.

You will however have no problem getting into some American colleges. Find some that seem like they'd be a good fit, and attend one! The path to medical schools is much tougher for international students, but very much possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have early research experience and are dual enrolled in college courses, you are not a prime candidate for combined BS/MD programs (though it wouldn't hurt to contact these programs directly and ask for what they look for). However you don't need one of these programs to get into medical school. Focus on attending college and doing well.

This might be premature, but take a look at the AAMC timeline for applying to medical school. It includes recommendations for coursework and experience to have during college, and it'll give you an idea about what the next few years will bring. Don't worry and don't stress. Just do well and find ways to give back to the community.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/175214/data/timeline.pdf

Your average state school will get you into medical school just fine.