PhD/PsyD Assessment requirement for internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We were having a debate in our service yesterday during staff meeting. Does APA require (accredited) internships to have interns complete a certain number of full battery assessments? I thought so. But others disagreed. If not a certain number, maybe at least proof that interns are being trained in and doing some psychological assessment?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We were having a debate in our service yesterday during staff meeting. Does APA require (accredited) internships to have interns complete a certain number of full battery assessments? I thought so. But others disagreed. If not a certain number, maybe at least proof that interns are being trained and doing some psychological assessment?

Assessment training must be part of the curriculum. Full batteries are definitely not required - for internships with certain tracks it may or may not be practical/relevant (though I guess that would depend on how you define "full battery").

Assessment training must be part of the curriculum. Full batteries are definitely not required - for internships with certain tracks it may or may not be practical/relevant (though I guess that would depend on how you define "full battery").

Do they specify anymore specifics or guidance beyond "part of the curriculum?

Members don't see this ad :)
No idea, but from what I have seen they are quite liberal in what they allow. If you haven't seen it yet, you can check: http://www.apa.org/education/grad/internship-toolkit.pdf

I just glanced at it and actually its vague enough I'm questioning whether I'm even correct that assessment even needs to be a part of it at all, though what is strictly required is probably different from what "looks good".

I believe APA-acred requires "competency" to evaluate using various psychometric measures, though I'm not sure how specifically they define the different types. I trained at a VA site, which has their own set of requirements for this area, though the particulars were defined by the DCT & training committee.

My reading of the G&P was that the assessment req was broad/vague like most other criteria (ostensibly to allow for "flexibility" in what sites want to/can/need to train interns to do I guess).