Assistant ED dir input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight on assistant ED dir positions? I turned it down last year and have been asked again recently and I'm wondering if there's any benefit to having that on your resume, even if I have no appetite for high level admin work. Traditionally, I've viewed this role as primarily admin grunt work. Most of it unpleasant such as scheduling, listening to complaints, putting out fires, filling emergency shifts, attending meetings that the ED Dir can't make, etc.. I've traditionally viewed this role as a "rite of passage" for anyone that's looking to climb the administrative ladder with more lofty roles in sight down the road such as ED Dir, etc..

I had a lot of management/admin responsibilities in my career before medicine and I really hated it even if I was good at it. I turned down the job last year because frankly... I have no appetite for high level administrative roles. The only exception to this would be if I found myself in the forever elusive perfect SDG as partner where you have a lot of invested interest. (I work for a CMG so this is not the situation.)

This time the circumstances are a bit different because the responsibilities also include managing the EM residents' educational curriculum (community shop with rotating EM residents) in tandem with the academic program. I've found that I genuinely enjoy teaching though not enough to give up the $$$ to join an academic shop. (Hey, I've got loans..) Before anyone mentions the time commitment, I've already calculated that the extra stipend/mo for the role would probably be at least equitable to time lost working shifts or outside of work.

If I don't plan on pursuing an ED Dir role and have no interest in going to leadership building seminars or climbing the CMG admin ladder, do I even have any business even considering this role?

Is there any value to having it on your resume for future jobs? (Both pp and possible academic?)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any insight on assistant ED dir positions? I turned it down last year and have been asked again recently and I'm wondering if there's any benefit to having that on your resume, even if I have no appetite for high level admin work. Traditionally, I've viewed this role as primarily admin grunt work. Most of it unpleasant such as scheduling, listening to complaints, putting out fires, filling emergency shifts, attending meetings that the ED Dir can't make, etc.. I've traditionally viewed this role as a "rite of passage" for anyone that's looking to climb the administrative ladder with more lofty roles in sight down the road such as ED Dir, etc..

I had a lot of management/admin responsibilities in my career before medicine and I really hated it even if I was good at it. I turned down the job last year because frankly... I have no appetite for high level administrative roles. The only exception to this would be if I found myself in the forever elusive perfect SDG as partner where you have a lot of invested interest. (I work for a CMG so this is not the situation.)

This time the circumstances are a bit different because the responsibilities also include managing the EM residents' educational curriculum (community shop with rotating EM residents) in tandem with the academic program. I've found that I genuinely enjoy teaching though not enough to give up the $$$ to join an academic shop. (Hey, I've got loans..) Before anyone mentions the time commitment, I've already calculated that the extra stipend/mo for the role would probably be at least equitable to time lost working shifts or outside of work.

If I don't plan on pursuing an ED Dir role and have no interest in going to leadership building seminars or climbing the CMG admin ladder, do I even have any business even considering this role?

Is there any value to having it on your resume for future jobs? (Both pp and possible academic?)

If the stipend is equal to time, it may be useful simply to reduce risk of clinical burnout. In terms of things the AFMD does that aren't related to climbing the ladder, the main opportunity is going to be improving your shop. The average pit doc has essentially no say in things and an AFMD has at least a little. PM me if interested in more detail.