ASTRO Med Student meet and greet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rabbitswearinghats

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a 3rd year med student attending ASTRO this year and presenting a poster. Poster reception is 5:30-6:45, and there is a med student/resident meet and greet at the same time from 5:45-6:45. I have no idea which one would be better to attend, and I can't be in two places at once. On one hand it would be great to meet residents/program directors and have them put a face to my name, but on the other hand I would want to stand in front of my poster to present it. Has anyone been to the meet and greet? Is it awkward? Awesome? In between?

Members don't see this ad.

From years past they occur at the same time. There is a cash bar where most of the residents will congregate and answer any of your questions. So answer is you go to both.

Meet and greet 2 years ago was kind of silly. Couple residents who were obligated to be there came. There were no beers or anything to entice residents or PDs to come talk to a bunch of excited medical students.

Depending on the field your poster is in, I'd just go to the meet and greet to meet prospective other applicants. I stood in front of my poster for about 45 minutes (granted it was basic science and kind of esoteric) and the only people I talked to were the people who had posters around me.