At a top 15 university, adviser says we only need at least a 3.0?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP, take a look at https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/table24-mcatgpagridall0911.pdf . Out of the aggregate number of MD acceptees in 2009-2011 which is 57,277, a total of 3,215 i.e. ~ 5.6% had GPAs below 3.20.

3.0 might be the bare minimum someone can get in with. However, the odds would be heavily stacked against you.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you hate state school kids so much lol?

And on a different note, I just deadlifted 365 and I feel like bragging about it on SDN! Any other deadlifters in this thread?

What's deadlifting?

What's deadlifting?

deadlift2.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.2

The adviser says that we should aim to keep our GPA above a 3.0, that's all that needed to get into medical schools out of here, mainly because MCAT scores are so high

Someone from my hometown here got into a top 20 medical school with a 3.1 GPA graduating from this school...i only know this because he told me, i don't go around asking friends of mine who are graduating and entering medical school, a pretty substantial portion of the school what their GPAs are

Why does everyone go ahead and claim that you need a 3.7+?

No bs here. If you want to get a respectable shot coming from a top15 school to just any MD school in the US, you need at least a 3.4+ and even then it's not a good shot. I come from a top15 school and I know people who applied with 3.4/35 and got 2 interviews that both ended up on waitlist.

This is your future, don't gamble with it. Don't hate the player hate the game. Shoot for at least a 3.5 going into the application cycle.

I went to a top-15 school (at the time, anyway), had a double major in physics (which boasted a 2.5 average major GPA) and biology, and rocked a 35 on the MCAT. My 3.15 got me a grand total of 1 interview from 28 apps at freaking Arkansas, of all places, and I applied reasonably well. Anyone who tells you school name and/or course of study makes up for a bad GPA is completely full of crap, in case the graph above wasn't enough to convince you.
Best reply in this whole thread:thumbup:

I went to a top-15 school (at the time, anyway), had a double major in physics (which boasted a 2.5 average major GPA) and biology, and rocked a 35 on the MCAT. My 3.15 got me a grand total of 1 interview from 28 apps at freaking Arkansas, of all places, and I applied reasonably well. Anyone who tells you school name and/or course of study makes up for a bad GPA is completely full of crap, in case the graph above wasn't enough to convince you.
+1

And Al's MDApps is here in case you think he just applied to the top 28 schools hoping his 35 would get him in.

Why do you hate state school kids so much lol?

And on a different note, I just deadlifted 365 and I feel like bragging about it on SDN! Any other deadlifters in this thread?

I deadlifted 365 before your balls dropped son

Reactions: 1 user
nobody cares how much anyone here can deadlift lol

I'm also majoring in a subject where the average gpa is a 2.8 with a double major in another one with an average gpa is a 3.1

with pre-med courses on top of that

Since when do med schools accept average applicants? Not to mention the average grade in college is supposed to be a C, which would be a 2.0. Obviously that's not the norm nowindays with grade inflation, but you're not going to get any sympathy if in every class you're in is formatted to give the middle of the bell curve a B.

Lol. You guys cannot just quote overall stats for matriculating students and apply it to any situation. GPA is highly variable between institutions and an average student at one place could have been top student elsewhere (the latter perhaps shown by MCAT). Whether these statements chap your rear-ends or not is irrelevant. At my uni over the last few years, a 3.3-3.5/30+ will give you an ~80% chance of acceptance compared to a national average of around 40% for those stats (4 out of 5 people in this range that I know have at least one acceptance this cycle, so it perhaps the trend is continuing). Really though, a 3.0 is a bit too low. I had a similar experience to Al, albeit with a little lower MCAT, so it is definitely difficult and fear-inducing. Not fair, but it is what it is.

Feel free to declare me full of crap Al *wink*

Last edited: