At this point what can I do to maximize my chances of acceptance into PT School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ghost52

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the student doctor forums and I came here for advice and to read up on how I can better my chances of getting into PT school.

I just graduated from undergraduate with a Bachelor of Kinesiology (Temple University Pre-PT track which includes A&P I+II, Biomechanics, Physiology of Physical Activity, and Social Psych of Physical Activity)
-3.01 overall cumulative GPA
-2.69 Science (Chem I+II, Bio I+II, Physics I+II)

-Going to start studying for GRE this week.
-Just made a list of PT clinics/hospitals in my area, going to make phone calls all morning tomorrow to try to set up observation/shadow hours
-Retaking Chem II at a community college because I received a C-

At this point, if I study hard for the GRE, get a PT to observe, and receive a good grade in Chem II, how will my chances be for applying to PT school next spring 2014, and how can I improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

At this point, if I study hard for the GRE, get a PT to observe, and receive a good grade in Chem II, how will my chances be for applying to PT school next spring 2014, and how can I improve my chances?

Studying hard for the GRE won't get you into PT school unless you actually do well. I would get at least a 300 overall. You'll have to retake more than Chem II. You will not get in anywhere with a 2.7 pre-req GPA. You also need to get more than one PT to observe. But a lot can change in one year. Your chances aren't good now, but with hard work and determination you could be in a good position a year from now.

Kevin

Studying hard for the GRE won't get you into PT school unless you actually do well. I would get at least a 300 overall. You'll have to retake more than Chem II. You will not get in anywhere with a 2.7 pre-req GPA. You also need to get more than one PT to observe. But a lot can change in one year. Your chances aren't good now, but with hard work and determination you could be in a good position a year from now.

Kevin

Yeah, I second what he said. For me personally, the lowest pre-req GPA accepted was a 2.75 and that was only one school. And of course that is the minimal and not the recommended. To really have a fighting chance, you really need to be around the recommended. Most schools (from what I've seen anyways) require at least a 3.0 in re-reqs alone. So definitely retake as much as you can for sciences. I would retake them at a community college but first check with your schools to make sure the credits will transfer. You might take a small hit for retaking so many classes but right now it looks like you won't even be allowed to apply... (I know because I had to wait a year myself...I wasn't even allowed to apply until I retook classes...).

Some people believe it or not, will actually apply even if they don't meet requirements. Plain and simple, if you don't meet requirements, dont apply because you will 100% guarantee not get accepted. I'm not directing this at you or anything but just saying for anyone who actually might apply with unmet requirements. I'm saving you guys hundreds of dollars...lol :p

But anyways, don't give up! If this is something you really want, take the time, retake your lowest classes, and dominate those classes! No lower than a 3.5! Get 4.0s in your retakes and it will impress the admissions committees. Anything lower than a 3.5 and they will start asking questions...get diversity in your hours too! Diversity wins over total hours! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You will have to retake a lot more than just chemistry. You have virtually no chance unless you can bring your prereq gpa above 3.0. Even schools with lower standards generally don't accept that because so many people apply to those schools as safety schools.

When are you taking the GRE? If you're applying this cycle, then you need to take it by the end of July. I'm studying about three hours a day right now.

Me too myosin! It's all I can fit in my schedule! Blah! :/ I hope we do alright !

Your gpa's stink to put it bluntly. Especially your science gpa. Getting an a in chem will only bring your gpa slightly, if at all. Your only hope is to get high 150's or 160's on the gre, great lor's, great ptcas essay and diversified observation hours. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's just the way it is these days.