at will employment offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chain janitor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chain pharmacist with multiple years of experience. Working at a good steady store for some time. I wanted to get out really bad and started shooting apps to hospitals.
Finally, I got lucky. I am ready to jump ship as I received an offer letter. I have a huge concern though, I have an "AT WILL" employment offer for the first few months.
I am concerned for the obvious reasons, bad market. No other jobs ya da ya da. I know this might be my only chance at a hospital, but I can't risk not having a job at all. I need to support my family and I don't deal with uncertainty very well.
Appreciate your input

Members don't see this ad.

Almost all pharmacy jobs have a probation period of 3-6 months anyway. Some pharmacies are notorious for letting go of technicians and occasionally pharmacists in this period. These are usually the union jobs where it is really hard to get rid of someone after the probationary period.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know anyone whose employment is anything but at will. Must be nice to have something else, I don't know that I would give that up.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Chain pharmacist with multiple years of experience. Working at a good steady store for some time. I wanted to get out really bad and started shooting apps to hospitals.
Finally, I got lucky. I am ready to jump ship as I received an offer letter. I have a huge concern though, I have an "AT WILL" employment offer for the first few months.
I am concerned for the obvious reasons, bad market. No other jobs ya da ya da. I know this might be my only chance at a hospital, but I can't risk not having a job at all. I need to support my family and I don't deal with uncertainty very well.
Appreciate your input

Every job is at will. Don't do a crappy job and be professional, and you won't lose your job.

Appreciate your input

What? So you want a contract-binding job? Most jobs I know are "at will"...I mean I don't get why you are concerned

What? So you want a contract-binding job? Most jobs I know are "at will"...I mean I don't get why you are concerned[/QUOTE

I haven't held or looked for any other jobs in many years. Still at the same chain I interned with. Hence, my question if this is the norm.

Your current job is also "at will". They can terminate you any time.

Most states have "at will" employment. I haven't help any job that wasn't or didn't have at least a 90 day probation period.

I've seen a lot of people that should have been terminated during that probationary period who were kept on. I think you have to make some pretty big mistakes to get terminated in most places.

Reactions: 2 users
I would stay on PRN on your chain, so if you did have any problems adjusting to hospital, it would be easier to get back on at your chain. But as others have said, every job (except union & tenure & maybe government) is at-will, probationary period means they don't really have to document things as well before they fire you, as they would if you had been there longer, but they still can't fire you for illegal reasons so for that reason they aren't going to fire you without some minimal level of documentation.

Reactions: 1 users
Your current job is also "at will". They can terminate you any time.

Unfortunately no, that's not necessarily the case depending on the state or if it's fed. Depending on whether your state is a closed-shop union for pharmacy, depending on where you live, the "AT WILL" period is the period that you don't get labor arbitration if they decide to let you go or the period that applies before you HAVE to join the union to maintain your job. Agree with most of the posters above that practically any hospital job has a probationary period where the AT WILL applies. MN is not an at-will state for closed-shop inpatient pharmacies or nursing. MNA and SEIU ensure that.

For the civil service, the At Will is the first six months where oversight can terminate you for no reason short of an illegal reason. The next six months of probation require a reason, but cannot be contested. Then, the next two years after that, there has to be a reason and the employee has quite an appeals process. And then after the three years, pharmacists (but not nurses or physicians) convert into career status, and the system basically makes it extraordinarily difficult to terminate short of the US District Attorney or the Board helping you out.

The Op should be wary of doing anything that would give the oversight an excuse, but that is the normal condition of employment most of the time even for experienced inpatient. Congrats on actually getting a job.

What state are you located in? In a position similar to yours. What do you think helped you get the hospital job. Thanks!!

Appreciate your input
What state are you located in? In a position similar to yours. What do you think helped you get the hospital job. Thanks!!

I dont think I did anything special. They considered to interview a retail Rph was probably my biggest advantage. I am a fairly confident and well spoken person and believed I conveyed it well on the interview. I reiterated everything they said they required at some point in the interview giving an example of how I have done it in the past. If the hospital is not open to consider a retail Rph, none of it matters. 20+ other apps I sent went straight to trash so I guess I got lucky. Good luck.

Most states have "at will" employment. I haven't help any job that wasn't or didn't have at least a 90 day probation period.

I was surprised to find out my organization doesn't have 90 day probation period. Once hired, all termination must follow the "process" without the 90 day clause.

It's 100 X more difficult to terminate than to hire. Unless it's something blatantly stupid.