This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurenAlexandra711

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am looking at taking some science pre-reqs for med school, to make sure I can handle them and also to (hopefully) boost my undergraduate gpa. Has anyone taken the following courses online through Athabasca, and, if so, what are your thoughts on them?

BIOL 204 & 205 - Principles of Biology I & II (home lab)

BIOL 402 - Cell Biology

CHEM 217 & 218 - Chemical Principles I & II

CHEM 301 - Introduction to Biochemistry

CHEM 350 & 360 - Organic Chemistry I & II

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Had to google Athabasca. I'm assuming you're Canadian?

I know very little about Canadian medical school pre-reqs but I'd check around and make sure they're accepted to Canadian schools you're planning on applying to. In the U.S. taking hard science classes online is generally not desirable, unless it's absolutely your only option.

Had to google Athabasca. I'm assuming you're Canadian?

I know very little about Canadian medical school pre-reqs but I'd check around and make sure they're accepted to Canadian schools you're planning on applying to. In the U.S. taking hard science classes online is generally not desirable, unless it's absolutely your only option.

Yes, I'm Canadian, and I've checked with my number 1 school so far and she said its a perfectly acceptable school to take courses through (there aren't any actual pre-req courses). My main concern is whether or not it is a reasonable option, because I would like to be working full time while taking them. If they aren't the best option, then I may take other courses through Athabasca instead, but I'd really like to make sure that I can handle the sciences before applying to med school, that's the reason I'd like to take them haha.

You can give the test of BIOL 402 - Cell Biology or BIOL 204 & 205 - Principles of Biology I & II (home lab). This is easy tests as compared to Chemistry. These tests are very helpful for your GPA.

Have you taken those courses through Athabasca? I've heard that cell bio is a really challenging course, so I want to be absolutely sure on that one before taking it! :) Thanks for your recommendation on taking bio as opposed to chem to boost my gpa.