Athlete factor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SwimmerDoc721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First SDN thread! Anyway I am curious to know how medical schools view one's involvement in college athletics. I am a d1 swimmer. How does this factor into the application/ acceptance.
I am a freshman :)
Also... I am interested in orthopedics particularly sports medicine due to previous injuries

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely a good ec to list and relevant username is relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
It's only interesting if everything else is strong.
Student/athletes are expected to do well as students first (at least for medical school).

Ortho hopefuls are among the most distinguished unmatched MS4's. First work on a strong gpa, relevant experience and a very good MCAT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Its a great EC.

But, remember GPA/MCAT come first.

If you have the stats (>3.5 GPA and >30 MCAT) you should have a competitive application provided you also have some shadowing and community service.

I have seen a number of D1 athletes make it into medical school. It's not a substitute for a competitive application, however.

Anyway I am curious to know how medical schools view one's involvement in college athletics. I am a d1 swimmer. How does this factor into the application/ acceptance.
I am a freshman :)
Some adcomms won't care and others will look on intercollegiate athletic involvement as evidence of characteristics desirable in a doc, like teamwork, dedication, ability to multitask (with practice, meets, academics, and necessary ECs), and rising above self.

I was also a D1 swimmer in college. I would say it gave my application a distinctive feature which ADCOM members recognized. They applaud the ability to have very high GPA and still be an athlete. Also Nice talking tópic during an interview.