athletic training major/physical therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotQuiteSure?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior in high school and I'm wanting to get an athletic training bachelors degree and I was wondering if all the schools that offer athletic training as a major have an accredited program for it. (CAATE) and I was also wondering after I get the BS Athletic training degree and have a minor in some science, that covers the pre-requisites for physical therapy, if I can try to find a job as an athletic trainer and a few years later apply for PT school. Is it logical? Or does any of this make sense and is actually doable?

Members don't see this ad.

That is totally doable. We have several Athletic Trainers in my PT program right now. I would however say ditch the minor and just take your prerequisites (most schools won't have a minor that entails PT prerequisites so you will end up taking even more time and spending more money). Athletic training is a time consuming bachelors degree as it is. I would just get your BS in Athletic training then maybe take the rest of your prerequisites over the next year or so at a community college while working to save money and then go to PT school. That being said, if a minor is important to you or you go to a school that has a program built around those prerequisites then go for it.

Getting a degree in athletic training is also good because if you want to take a few years off between your bachelors and grad school you will have a useful degree that can get you a real job.

Being a therapist with dual credentials is cool, and it will give you some great experience to help you through PT school.