atlanta area gs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mayostand

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
long-time browser, first-time poster. i'm looking at gs programs within a 3-4 hour radius of atlanta--fiancee's home area. i'm looking to go private practice, but definitely open to an academic program.

thoughts on the reputation/quality of:
emory
atlanta med center
uab
ut-chatt
ut-knoxville
greenville
carolinas med center
musc

thanks for any thoughts offered.

Members don't see this ad.

mayostand said:
hey all,
long-time browser, first-time poster. i'm looking at gs programs within a 3-4 hour radius of atlanta--fiancee's home area. i'm looking to go private practice, but definitely open to an academic program.

thoughts on the reputation/quality of:
emory
atlanta med center
uab
ut-chatt
ut-knoxville
greenville
carolinas med center
musc

thanks for any thoughts offered.
what are your scores? atlanta med is a nontough option atleast that is what i heard. In interviewwed at emory. excessive competition though

Denial said:
what are your scores? atlanta med is a nontough option atleast that is what i heard. In interviewwed at emory. excessive competition though

ah...i'm an M1 right now. i know i'm way early, but i'm convinced about surgery. do i have to be a current applicant to write the program for info, would they frown on that if i did it now? do they send much more info than can be gained from visiting their website? i just don't want it to come back and possibly bite my butt when i do send off for info 2 years from now. i can't see how it would...

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice would be to just browse through some websites right now. What do you hope to learn about the program that isn't on the web? Without being disrespectful, but generally frank, you probably aren't at a point where you know what to look for or what you want out of a program. The clinical years really teach you a lot about yourself and what you can and can't tolerate. I'd just familiarize myself with what programs are out there and stuff like that. As you get closer you can start chatting it up with your attendings and they'll know more of the low down dirty that you really care about. Good luck to you!

:thumbup:

thanks for the advice and good word...you're probably right. best of luck to you as well!

:thumbup:

My advice is to enjoy your preclinical years. The work only gets harder, but it is far more interesting. If you're still interested a couple of years from now, we'll be here to help you with the steps along the way :)
mayostand said:
ah...i'm an M1 right now. i know i'm way early, but i'm convinced about surgery. do i have to be a current applicant to write the program for info, would they frown on that if i did it now? do they send much more info than can be gained from visiting their website? i just don't want it to come back and possibly bite my butt when i do send off for info 2 years from now. i can't see how it would...

I'm not trying to be difficult, but how do you really know if they are malignant or not? Is it strictly from doing research with them? Often some of the more friendly folks day to day can turn into real devils once they get into the OR. I'm not discounting your opinion, just curious for a little more detail.