Atlantic Bridge Dentistry Applicants 2015 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
who do you guys talk to when you have questions? I email them but the responses are always so delayed for me, and linda always tells me to email when i have a question

Members don't see this ad.

apparently the reason the process is slow this year is because theres a lot more people that applied this year, does anyone know around how many people applied this year?

Thank you for clarifying.

Has anybody heard what types of conditional acceptances if any, are offered to students out of 2nd or 3rd year who will not have completed a degree prior to entry?
This is evidently for the 5 year programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering this too, whether you just have to finish your current classes or have to meet certain gpa requirements.

Hopefully we can find out
1) what conditions are linked with your initial acceptance to final admission
2) amount of deposit
3) when the deposit is required
4) when the final payment is required for full tuition payment
5) when we need to show up in Ireland
6) whether we are forced to make a down payment on one offer before we get to see the other

If anyone here gets accepted it would be helpful if you could share the answers to these questions.
Good luck to you all! I might not have any nails left in the next 2-3 weeks

This is the last year for the reciprocity with Australia. We will see what will happen..

Has there ever been a case in either Dentistry or Medicine where once a country had reciprocity that it was not renewed?

Has there ever been a case in either Dentistry or Medicine where once a country had reciprocity that it was not renewed?

I have never heard about any reciprocity before. I'm pretty sure they won't renew it, but I hope they will accommodate people that went to those countries because of this agreement

If it is not renewed an Irish Dental degree would be a worthless degree for a Canadian. The process to get licensed in Canada is almost impossible for non-accredited programs. I would think that both UCC and Trinity would be well aware of this and would do all they could do to maintain the reciprocity with Canada. They don't want to lose the high tuition that Canadians are paying. It would be worthwhile to contact both the Irish dental board and the Canadian accreditations board to see what the situation is.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it is not renewed an Irish Dental degree would be a worthless degree for a Canadian. The process to get licensed in Canada is almost impossible for non-accredited programs. I would think that both UCC and Trinity would be well aware of this and would do all they could do to maintain the reciprocity with Canada. They don't want to lose the high tuition that Canadians are paying. It would be worthwhile to contact both the Irish dental board and the Canadian accreditations board to see what the situation is.

One thing they can do is to extend the reciprocity for people who enter the school when it was valid
For example if the reciprocity ends in 2015, all people that have enrolled to those dentistry schools from 2010 to 2015 will be accredited. Those who enter after 2015 won't be recognized

This is just a speculation .. They haven't said nothing about it yet.

After keeping an eye on this thread for a few months I might as well chime in. Best thing would be to call and ask the CDAC on what their intentions are. Has Linda or Summer told any of you how many people applied this year? The person I talk to is usually rather vague and doesn't give out specific details on number of applicants. I know they take in 30 people that are split up among the 3 schools in Ireland, but how many does each school take out of the 30? Of all the threads on SDN I count 16 people having stated they have applied to Irish schools so however many other people are out there lurking I cannot say. Been eagerly waiting since December..

okay so i have contacted CDAC, NDEB and even the irish council, ill just sum up what ive been told: so pretty much there is nothing definitive and its only assumptions. if any school has been accredited then they would obviously want to renew the mutual agreement. To date there has not been a school that has been mutually accredited and the agreement has not been renewed so thats promising. But like they said anythings possible and agreements can be terminated although its never happened yet. But for those of us who are accepted while the accreditation was still in place and if it does end up being terminated in 2017, they ASSUME that there will be a grace period for those people to still graduate with the accreditation still holding.

hope that made sense! :)

Reactions: 1 users
After keeping an eye on this thread for a few months I might as well chime in. Best thing would be to call and ask the CDAC on what their intentions are. Has Linda or Summer told any of you how many people applied this year? The person I talk to is usually rather vague and doesn't give out specific details on number of applicants. I know they take in 30 people that are split up among the 3 schools in Ireland, but how many does each school take out of the 30? Of all the threads on SDN I count 16 people having stated they have applied to Irish schools so however many other people are out there lurking I cannot say. Been eagerly waiting since December..
I want to know how many people applied as well

Great news thanks for getting ahold of them! I was bothering the good folks at ABP way too much lately so I am going to leave them alone and refrain from questions for awhile lol..

How many Letters of Reference did everyone submit? Are you mostly applying with degrees, undergrad or high school? Will the graduate entry option at UCC affect the quota of 30 students accepted or is this a totally different program with its own quota?

I asked atlantic bridge a long time ago(do not remember when exactly) they told me ~200 people from atlantic bridge apply.
So 30/200~ about 1 person for every 6-7 applicants gets an offer.
I actually plan on settling down in Europe since half of my family is there, so I am not too worried about the agreement.
fingers crossed all of us SDN'rs get an offer soon!
Just counting the days now, we should be hearing back anytime in april.

to be honest here i called about 3 months ago and the man that answered said that last year there were about 100 applicants, ABP seems to give a lot of conflicting info

Yes! Thanks for all the useful information! :)
Me too I hope everyone gets an offer!

to be honest here i called about 3 months ago and the man that answered said that last year there were about 100 applicants, ABP seems to give a lot of conflicting info
Who did you call?

Last edited:
Also, this may be kinda irrelevant but do you guys think that ABP filters out some applicants before sending dossiers to the actual universities?

Are you sure that was for Dentistry and not Medical? They told me similar information, but generalized it to Medicine and Dentistry. They give a lot of conflicting information as we have all noticed on here.

Ummm i dont completely remember i think it was robert but not sure

there is definitely a lot more applicants for the medical programs

I talked to profs of mine and they don't think ABP actually plays a role in the process. They are just an office that puts together the paperwork properly for the universities so nothing gets lost or mixed up. They have applicants for Physio, Dent, and Med so the Universities probably don't want to have to sort through the mountains of paperwork.

Oh I see..

Did you guys apply for US/Canadian/Australian schools too? I got rejected by the Canadian school I applied to :(

I'm just really worried about not getting an offer, or being put on the waiting list and living the entire summer in a state of uncertainty and anxiety! ><

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody checked back with their references to see whether they have been contacted by the ad coms?

Well in the next several weeks we should get some real answers! I hope people who get accepted share some useful info with us all. Good luck to all.

40% of applicants got offers of acceptance last year. That was the information I got from ABP.

That percentage would likely go down as more and more people apply each year, as far as i know

do you know if atlantic bridge will notify you of your decisions? or are the decisions going to come straight from the universities through mail?

I still don't think the program is very well advertised so the number of applicants wouldn't likely skyrocket in just one year. Especially if around 40% got offers last year I doubt the acceptance would go from 1:2 to 1:6 / 7 as stated above. I asked if there were any recent updates again to the office.. lets see what vague response I get this time

some of the info contradicts again though, if theres 30 offers each year and around 200 applicants how could reach up too 40%, even with those who decline their offers

Im saying there is a very low chance that 200 people did actually apply. Especially since the program is out of country in Europe and the cost is so high for most people. The 200 figure must include Med

what are your gpa's like? i guess we can see how competitive the applicant pool is... im sure the sdn average would be higher than the average of the applicants to the programs.... I know someone with a not so high undergrad gpa but 4.0 masters that got in last year. Mines pretty bad, around 3.3

Rather than focusing on just gpa, what sort of stuff does everyone bring to the table in terms of extracurriculars / expeeience? Why are you an asset for the school / profession. Anyone ever been to Europe / Ireland or lived there? Anyone with relevant experience in medical / dental?

Hi all,
my GPA is not the strongest (3.0) however, I did provide them with reference letters, both academic and professional. I have over 5 years of experience shadowing a dental surgeon in Toronto, finished my BSc from UWaterloo. Was just wondering what page everyone else is on, kind of anxious for a response from ABP.

anyone else, please share

Hi all,
my GPA is not the strongest (3.0) however, I did provide them with reference letters, both academic and professional. I have over 5 years of experience shadowing a dental surgeon in Toronto, finished my BSc from UWaterloo. Was just wondering what page everyone else is on, kind of anxious for a response from ABP.

anyone else, please share
Hey there! I am super anxious again. I'm hoping we hear word tomorrow. I live way up in Inuvik in the Northwest Territories in Canada so I am worried that it will take longer for me to hear! I can't wait to hear news of the first admission.
I too have a 'lower GPA' a consequence of having a bell curve imposed on me in a professional program. I think my overall GPA is a 3.3, my pharmacy GPA is a 3.1 and my 'typical science for dentistry prerequisites' in my first 2 years is a 3.9.
I also sent in many reference letters; one athletic, one professional colleague, and one dentist who I job shadowed, professional recommendation.

I'm hoping for all of your successes! I can't wait to hear more in the coming days (I just hope I'm not one of the unlucky few that have to wait any longer!!!)

Don't get too wrapped in the GPA requirement. GPA is considered obviously; but I've heard the european dental schools are more diplomatic than those in North America and also consider extracurricular and professional experience as a major component of their evaluation as well.

Anyone have any feedback about the personal statements that we wrote? What emphasis is put on them. Just curious :)

Best of luck to all of you!

Wow!! I didn't know we could send in so many reference letters!

I have a CGPA in the 3.70, but I think my science GPA is much lower, maybe 3.4-3.5, with the basic first year science classes 3.2-3.3? I am finishing my bachelors in arts (not sure if they will look badly at this).

I have pretty good experiences shadowing, doing community (local and abroad) volunteering, sports, etc. And I submitted two references only.

Yeah there was a minimum amount to submit, but no maximum (I checked and they said send as many as you like) so I just went to town on it! It is tough choosing 2 or 3 for North American schools...

okay i will post my stats too for everyone:
My overall gpa is 3.76, and my science gpa is 3.89, i am only in second year doing biological sciences but i have finished all the cores i need to.

My ECs include dental shadowing, volunteering at a hospital, mentor at a club, vice president of a club, and a couple more volunteer clubs, and a lotttt of sports, and music production