Atlantic Bridge Dentistry Applicants 2015 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In regards to the post about doing dentistry abroad. It is nothing like doing medicine abroad if the school has an agreement with Canada its the same as getting a degree in Canada. Getting a job as dentist is not tough, it is in high demand, also we will all eventually open up our own clinic.

Lastly, schools abroad are not always easier to get into than Canadian schools, griffith university in Australia for example requires a minimum university gpa of 87% to apply.

Everyone else who did not yet get an offer, don't give up, i'm sure second rounds will be made, also look into Australia they have some good programs.
wow congrats samiam! Can u tell us ur gpa/extra currics/dat - im sure some of us want to know how you got in western, great accomplishment!

Members don't see this ad.

Got into Western already?!! Aren't they doing their interviews this weekend? I have my interview This Saturday.

Got into Western already?!! Aren't they doing their interviews this weekend? I have my interview This Saturday.
I had my interview in March. I got too excited lol I meant I am waiting to hear back from western.
good luck on your interview!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
wow congrats samiam! Can u tell us ur gpa/extra currics/dat - im sure some of us want to know how you got in western, great accomplishment!
Haha sorry about that, I had interview no offer yet, I think they start releasing offers in mid may?
Still far off from getting an offer from shulich school of dentistry

Last edited:
Samiam992 does that mean you will accept the offer and pay the deposit for Trinity? Since you might not hear back from Ontario until later. I am kind of in the same boat for Canadian universities, and the deposit is non refundable and super expensive!!

Samiam992 does that mean you will accept the offer and pay the deposit for Trinity? Since you might not hear back from Ontario until later. I am kind of in the same boat for Canadian universities, and the deposit is non refundable and super expensive!!

We have until may
I have enough saved up to pay for deposit, I guess once I pay I will go haha, don't want to lose 8000 euros. I heard dental school at UoFT is like 40 grand per year, not sure about the other schools.
TCD is a great school however and very reputable.
The fees at TCD although expensive at 31,000 euros ?is not too bad in comparison to other international schools.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Also, the deposit is €9,000.00. Someone had mentioned it was $ in an earlier post but just to clarify, it was € in the letter. (I am really quite shocked by that, was not expecting such a sum due May 1!)

Also if anyone else gets an offer, please start up a facebook group so we can all get into contact, it would be nice to know some fellow Canadians before going to school.
I don't want to give up my identity on this website.

Reactions: 1 users
We have until may
I already graduated so I have enough saved up to pay for deposit, I guess once I pay I will go haha, don't want to lose 8000 euros. I heard dental school at UoFT is like 40 grand per year, not sure about the other schools.
TCD is a great school however and very reputable.
The fees at TCD although expensive at 31,000 euros ?is not too bad in comparison to other international schools.

p.s you can now log onto the TCD website to see your offer. They provided us with a user id and password in one of the documents.

AB provided user id and passowrd??

AB provided user id and passowrd??
not atlantic bridge. On the offer of admission form from the university you are given an id and password. This is only after you receive an offer

Last edited:
I'm really confused about what to do, I have an interview at a Univ of Montreal for dentistry in May so I really won't know until late May whether I might get a potential offer from a Canadian school, so I think I'd need to accept Ireland first! ><

I'm really confused about what to do, I have an interview at a Univ of Montreal for dentistry in May so I really won't know until late May whether I might get a potential offer from a Canadian school, so I think I'd need to accept Ireland first! ><
even if you pay the deposit, if you end up getting accepted at montreal the total expenses will come out less than in ireland

Wait and see about Montreal, if they are interviewing you then you have a good shot. Dont want to waste money you can't get back

Members don't see this ad :)

tbh, it's a risk and it is entirely up to you- always good to seek advice from those close to you parents a dentist you are shadowing etc.
An interview is not a guaranteed offer. If after the interview you do get an offer you can always reject TCD opening up a spot for someone els, but that will be 9000 euros down the drain(which really would suck).
How much are the fees for montreal? I tried searching it but could not find it.
I found:
UoFT dental school fees are $ 43,171.44 CAD
TCD Trinity College Dublin – €31,100 Euros ~$40,680.29 CAD right now.

I'm guessing Montreal would be a lot cheaper? I am considering factors such as not seeing family members and friends in Canada for a long period of time now.
I do have family in Ireland and UK though, but still a tough choice.

For others- I spoke to my friend at trinity and they said that most of their friends actually got offers in May, so imo you guys still have a shot and someone else actually got an offer as late as August

Montreal is quite cheap, each year would be $3500-12,000 I believe depending on the year.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I would do have to pay the deposit first for Trinity

When is the rest of tution for first year due to pay? I am currently waitlisted for u of t dentistry and I am worried that I'll get an offer soon and have to pay that ridiculous deposit too.

We need to pay full amount by Aug 1!!!

I think I have a problem with my parents now lol, they want me to stay in Canada even IF it means not getting into the dental program at UofMontreal and studying NURSING instead... Due to the fees and moreover Europe's current social/economic problems... But I mean, it is very likely that we'll all come back to North American to work in the future right?

i guess when we apply we don't take everything into consideration, even if I were to get one now I don't even think I could pay it in time. Im close with my family like u are 2015dent, so I know how hard it would be to leave family. It is a great opportunity but not for everyone I guess. Congrats tho guys:)!

Yes I am from High School. I applied to both programs. I wonder if it was even worth it now. Seems only university students are being accepted.

We need to pay full amount by Aug 1!!!

I think I have a problem with my parents now lol, they want me to stay in Canada even IF it means not getting into the dental program at UofMontreal and studying NURSING instead... Due to the fees and moreover Europe's current social/economic problems... But I mean, it is very likely that we'll all come back to North American to work in the future right?

oh wow nursing haha that is a huge change in career choice. I've always been interested in dentistry so i'm going to stick with it.
Anyways i'll be signing off now, good luck to everyone! 2015dent if I end up at TCD I hope to see you there, I think 8-10 people from north america get into TCD for dent, so i'll keep a lookout on facebook for any groups. Surprised there has not been any posts about UCC acceptances, maybe they will be coming soon for you guys.

yes has anyone asked when UCC offers for the 5 year will be put out?

^^yup, I agree. There should be a quota for the admission of undergrads/high schoolers. How do you even compare an applicant with, lets say, 3 more years of experience?

not trying to be mean, but why would they take highschoolers over university students? They want the most capable students, and university students have 4 years of rigerous school work, experience, volunteering, ec's over highschool students. I can't even fathom how one can be ready for dental school straight out of highschool. 60% of university students change majors during their time in university, nvm highschool students deciding their future straight out of highschool. Can't say it can't be done and kudos to you if you can, but there is so much in life to experience, I don't know why people rush it.

btw not trying to be mean, just sharing my experience and advice

Well it was advertised as such. The only reason I would like to go to Ireland is because I wanted to cut 3 years off my education. I am sure that almost all Irish and EU students are coming direct from high school.
It is a professional bachelor's degree much like engineering. That is why it is a 5 year course and not 4 years like North America.
If they would have told me that your chances as a high school student were negligible I probably would not have bothered.

Well it was advertised as such. The only reason I would like to go to Ireland is because I wanted to cut 3 years off my education. I am sure that almost all Irish and EU students are coming direct from high school.
It is a professional bachelor's degree much like engineering. That is why it is a 5 year course and not 4 years like North America.
If they would have told me that your chances as a high school student were negligible I probably would not have bothered.
well you never know shamrock1! maybe they do have a quota, ull make a great dentist regardless, best of luck!

I understand that age plays a factor in the decision process, but some students mature/reach a definitive career option faster than others.

and University students are not, in all cases, more competent than high school students regardless of experience. ( and this is not to say that high schoolers are more capable, but they do exist). Why would the program be open to high school students if admissions never thought we had a CHANCE?

did anyone get an interview or do one already for any of the schools?

Well we probably have a chance but may have to be outstanding candidates to gain entry over those in university already.
I admit I don't really know either way.
Time will tell.
Best of luck to you all.

I emailed ABP to see what's up and this is what I got back :( :( :( :( :( :(

"Thank you for your email.

The first round of offers for the 4-Year Graduate Entry program at University College Cork and the 5-Year program at Trinity College Dublin have been made.

You were not made a first round offer at this time, but you are eligible for a second round offer.

The first round of offers for the 5-Year UCC program have not yet been made."

So, I'm guessing nobody got ANY (4 or 5 year) offer from from UCC here, if I read the posts correctly. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and if anybody got offer from UCC (4 year program) please post/share. I guess it'll be only for 4 year program as 5 year program offers are not out yet!

I would not go as far to say it is like engineering bachelor degree...
Yes the first year will serve to get everyone up to speed, after that it is pretty much modelled and similar to Canadian dentistry schools.
Now in terms of comparing high-school to university, its not easy, imo an average of 98% in highschool is probably a 88% in university.
If you have exceptional grades in high school, i'm sure you will stand out. Grades however are not everything, most university applicant will already have a bachelors or will be completing one and thus will have had more time to gain valuable experience in research, laboratory work, patient care etc.

I applaud the high school applicants applying, in retrospect if I could get in from high school I would, but I completed a bachelors and am glad I did, it helped me mature and gain a lot of life experience that I needed, but hey people in europe go straight to med after highschool, but I had heard high school there is much more difficult, probably comparable to first year of university- A level courses etc.

I hope all of you guys get in, regardless of whether it is highschool or undergrad or masters students.
TBH it would be much more disappointing for an undergraduate to not get an offer, high school students can always take the normal route and head to university.

I would not go as far to say it is like engineering bachelor degree...
Yes the first year will serve to get everyone up to speed, after that it is pretty much modelled and similar to Canadian dentistry schools.
Now in terms of comparing high-school to university, its not easy, imo an average of 98% in highschool is probably a 88% in university.
If you have exceptional grades in high school, i'm sure you will stand out. Grades however are not everything, most university applicant will already have a bachelors or will be completing one and thus will have had more time to gain valuable experience in research, laboratory work, patient care etc.

I applaud the high school applicants applying, in retrospect if I could get in from high school I would, but I completed a bachelors and am glad I did, it helped me mature and gain a lot of life experience that I needed, but hey people in europe go straight to med after highschool, but I had heard high school there is much more difficult, probably comparable to first year of university- A level courses etc.

I hope all of you guys get in, regardless of whether it is highschool or undergrad or masters students.
TBH it would be much more disappointing for an undergraduate to not get an offer, high school students can always take the normal route and head to university.
I am not sure what u mean by 'normal route'?
The normal route in western Europe is to get into medical or dental school after high school. That is what most ppl do in Europe unlike North America.

Why didn't you take the 'normal route' and head to dental school in Canada or the US ? Europeans don't do undergraduate degrees before going to dental school. I think a 44 in the IB program is comparable to A-levels and first year university anyway.

Why didn't you take the 'normal route' and head to dental school in Canada or the US ? Europeans don't do undergraduate degrees before going to dental school. I think a 44 in the IB program is comparable to A-levels and first year university anyway.
Because I'm North American and don't want to waste 3 years doing another degree when I can get into dental school in Ireland /UK straight from high school !

Do you guys know when second round offers start to come out?

Also, admissions told me Cork hasnt released 5 year dental programs:

"Offers for the 5-Year University College Cork dental program have not yet been made.

5-Year offers will likely be made in the coming weeks.

Your application is active and you are currently waitlisted at the universities mentioned in the previous email."

So has anybody been rejected at all or are they just stacking everyone on a huge waitlist?....

Reactions: 2 users

...what are you even saying?
I did take the "normal route" a north american would take, I completed a bachelors and then a one year masters and am now a first year at NYU dental school. My sister who is two years older got into boston and TCD and decided to go to TCD.
You missed my entire point, I was commending high school students who apply its the smart thing to do, the point I was trying to get across was university students who are older , would be more hurt by not getting in than high school students, because high school students could always go to university and apply again...

well, that's my last post on this site. Good bye.

everyone who apply wants to get in. That is all I am saying. Don't take things so seriously!

If it's any consolation... I got into Pharmacy with minimum prerequisites- After a year and a half I realized I had made a terrible mistake and I should have just gone into Dentistry to begin with (Dent was my first choice; tuition costs deterred me). I was very sure I'd want to do Pharmacy instead, I would have bet all of my money on it... despite realizing it wasn't for me mid-program, I ended up staying in pharm (otherwise it would have been a waste of 23000 in tuition and nearly two years) and I started preparing for dentistry at that point in time. However, had I had a bit more experience and time in sciences, I think I would have been more certain in my choices

Don't get me wrong- I'm not saying that someone entering out of high school shouldn't be admitted to a professional program; but I am saying that that was pretty much my situation and I wish I hadn't gotten into pharmacy at all. I was considered very mature for my age, had tons of extracurriculars, and job shadowing-- but I seriously lacked in life experience. I can honestly say that I wish that I had done at least 2 years of sciences in University to accumulate life experience and make sure I was certain in my choices... I made a huge mistake going into pharmacy, even though at the time I was sure it was the right choice for me. I wish I had left that spot for someone else and had taken the time to sincerely consider my goals.

That said: I know a few Dentists that I work with that got into Dentistry in Montreal right out of high school, and they're doing great and love their jobs! It all depends on the person.

Also, don't let not receiving an offer this year discourage you. Seriously. I haven't received an offer this year (at this point- fingers crossed!) and I applied everywhere. If it's what you want to do you WILL get in. Just work hard, play hard, and keep your chin up. Most dentists I talk to consider me 'young' at 24, and I have 6 years on you! You have lots of time. Stay positive and optimistic. You never know, you may get a letter a few months down the road :)

Wow, I also was just reading through the previous comments...

Keep your chin up guys. Don't lash out at each other. I'm waiting too, but I'm also extremely excited for the people that did get in. Be happy for your comrades, not angry in jealousy.

Congrats to those who received an offer! Has everyone accepted? or What are the considerations for everyone?

In terms of funding is anyone having problems? If you are, please feel free to PM me. I know a lot of ways that you can receive the adequate funding for the program (I've had a lot of friends go through Dent and they've all passed along). I don't feel super comfortable detailing it on the forum, but PM me and I have no problem. It's bursary information, sponsorship opportunities, and banking benefits.

Also if any of you have been working and have RRSP's, you can take up to 10,000$ out of them tax free (as long as it's 'a no-load fund) under the lifelong learning plan (LLP), as long as you pay it back to your RRSP's in 10 years (which you'll wanna do anyways as a tax break once you're practicing as a Dentist) talk to a financial advisor or your bank. Key things are to bring up LLP (life long learning plan) and double check if it's no load. if it's not- ask them what kind of fee it will be to you to take it out. You'll need to bring in your proof of enrolment/offer.

Also if you're wondering why I know these fun facts; my significant other is a Investment consultant for a private firm. :)

I emailed ABP to see what's up and this is what I got back :( :( :( :( :( :(

"Thank you for your email.

The first round of offers for the 4-Year Graduate Entry program at University College Cork and the 5-Year program at Trinity College Dublin have been made.

You were not made a first round offer at this time, but you are eligible for a second round offer.

The first round of offers for the 5-Year UCC program have not yet been made."
Hey man! That's still good news. They're only in their first round offers and UCC hasn't even made offers yet for their 5 year program (that's the one I'm hoping for, I love Cork). Stay optimistic!

I accepted my offer to the university of Dublin, it's too risky to wait and hear back from Western.

If you look at the fees for Canadian schools like western: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/docs/future_students/Estimated_Budget_National_13-14.pdf

it is pretty pricey, $64,000 per year, so I am ok with attending trinity, which has a smaller class size and an excellent reputation.

I'm surprised UCC has still not sent out any offers for the 5 year program, maybe they are waiting for people to accept/reject TCD before making offers? Anyways good luck!

Last edited:
I accepted my offer to the university of Dublin, it's too risky to wait and hear back from Western.

If you look at the fees for Canadian schools like western: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/docs/future_students/Estimated_Budget_National_13-14.pdf

it is pretty pricey, $64,000 per year, so I am ok with attending trinity, which has a smaller class size and an excellent reputation.

I'm surprised UCC has still not sent out any offers for the 5 year program, maybe they are waiting for people to accept/reject TCD before making offers? Anyways good luck!

Congrats samiam992! I've also been accepted to TCD, and if everything goes according to plan I will be accepting the offer. Can you PM me? I tried to PM you but I couldn't... Would be nice to get to know some Canadian friends before heading out there!