atomic radius :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

issa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
there was a post that explains atomic radius but after reading it i am still confused.

whats the easiest/fastest way to answer these questions?

36Which ion has the largest radius?
• O2-
• S2-
• Se2-
• Te2-
• Po2-

39Which ion has the smallest radius?
• F-
• Cl-
• Br-
• I-
• At-

40Which ion has the smallest radius?
• As3-
• Se2-
• Br-
• Rb+
• Sr2+

41Which ion has the smallest radius?
• K+
• Cs+
• Sr2+
• Ba2+
• Tl3+

Members don't see this ad.

The important thing to remember about atomic radii is that the bigger radii are towards the bottom of the table (if it helps, think that the radius makes the atom so big, gravity pushes it towards the bottom of the table)

So your questions answered in order would be:

Po
F

As for the next two, it is also important to know that the radius of the atom gets smaller as you go across (noble gases have the smallest radius) so that would make the answer to the next one Br

The last one is a bit tricky because you would have to combine the two, I'm not exactly sure on this but I think the answer is K just because it is too far up the periodic table.

The important thing to remember about atomic radii is that the bigger radii are towards the bottom of the table (if it helps, think that the radius makes the atom so big, gravity pushes it towards the bottom of the table)

So your questions answered in order would be:

Po
F

As for the next two, it is also important to know that the radius of the atom gets smaller as you go across (noble gases have the smallest radius) so that would make the answer to the next one Br

The last one is a bit tricky because you would have to combine the two, I'm not exactly sure on this but I think the answer is K just because it is too far up the periodic table.

you didn't realize that these are ions. the answers to these are
S^2-
F-
As^3-
Tl^3+

anyone know how to answer these with detailed explanation?

geez, I thought I had this concept down but those answers seems to make no sense at all to me. Where did these questions come from?

Does anyone know how these answers were derived??

Members don't see this ad :)
childrens, arent you forgetting that atoms or ions more less protons in the nucleus will hold on to a constant # of e more tightly than those with less protons?

ergo: Na+ and Mg+2 both have 10 electrons, but Na has 11 protons and Mg has 12 protons and so the charge on the nucleus of Mg is larger, so its ion is smaller than that of Na.Theyre both 1s2 2s2 2p6.

you didn't realize that these are ions. the answers to these are
S^2-
F-
As^3-
Tl^3+

anyone know how to answer these with detailed explanation?

i feel so dumb right now :p
the answer key that i was using is wrong so i was really confused.

the rule is soo easy. negative charge ions are larger than postive charge ions but if there are two similar charge ions then we rank them normally (similar to the atomic radius).

i feel so dumb right now :p
the answer key that i was using is wrong so i was really confused.

the rule is soo easy. negative charge ions are larger than postive charge ions but if there are two similar charge ions then we rank them normally (similar to the atomic radius).

Haha, it happens...Could you post the correct answers please:)

Thanks!

there was a post that explains atomic radius but after reading it i am still confused.

whats the easiest/fastest way to answer these questions?

36Which ion has the largest radius?
• O2-
• S2-
• Se2-
• Te2-
**• Po2-

39Which ion has the smallest radius?
**• F-
• Cl-
• Br-
• I-
• At-

40Which ion has the smallest radius?
• As3-
• Se2-
• Br-
• Rb+
**• Sr2+

41Which ion has the smallest radius?
• K+
• Cs+
• Sr2+
• Ba2+
**• Tl3+

we should be able to answer each one of these in less than 10 seconds. the rule is simple.

issa, your answers from a few posts ago don't align with the most recent answers you stated. which are correct?