ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superman MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't see a thread for KCOM for the 09-10 application cycle, sooo I think it is time to start one! This is most definitely my top choice right now, so it would be awesome to start talking with people who are applying here! Has anyone completed any supplementels yet??

Members don't see this ad.

Applied and supplement completed!

Well sort of. My "Evaluation 1" is still pending, though its been available through Virtual Evals since last wednesday. AMCAS and my other school already got it so I sent KCOM an email earlier today and haven't heard back.

Anyways, my stats are cGPA 3.97 sGPA 3.95 MCAT 27P
I currently work in a research lab, my core is producing a rapid result testing kit for the H1N1 virus which will give results within 10 minutes of taking a blood sample (unlike days for the current one).
Moderate shadowing 80 hrs, etc...

GL

Awesome stats! Sounds like you probably will have no problem getting an interview. I'm still waiting for my primary to be verified! It sucks that my finals for the spring quarter did not get over with until June 12, and we could not even get our updated transcript sent out until June 26 or so. It put me like a month behind! Sigh, so sad. . hopefully I am still pretty early in the game though. I can't wait to get those secondaries though! What were the essay questions for KCOM, if you don't mind me asking??

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied and supplement completed!

Well sort of. My "Evaluation 1" is still pending, though its been available through Virtual Evals since last wednesday. AMCAS and my other school already got it so I sent KCOM an email earlier today and haven't heard back.

Anyways, my stats are cGPA 3.97 sGPA 3.95 MCAT 27P
I currently work in a research lab, my core is producing a rapid result testing kit for the H1N1 virus which will give results within 10 minutes of taking a blood sample (unlike days for the current one).
Moderate shadowing 80 hrs, etc...

GL

Nice stats!! I know my evaluation 1 was downloaded last Friday, and I wouldn't worry because the admissions office told me that ;ast Friday was the first day they started downloading letters from virtual evals. They are just now starting to review secondaries it seems.

Thanks for starting this thread! From what I read on their website and on SDN, KCOM seems like a great school, and I really hope that I can get an interview and go visit! My primary just got verified today (finally!), so I am hoping to start the secondary soon!

Thanks for starting this thread! From what I read on their website and on SDN, KCOM seems like a great school, and I really hope that I can get an interview and go visit! My primary just got verified today (finally!), so I am hoping to start the secondary soon!

Yup, it does seem like a very great school. . .that is why I have it at the top of my list! When did you send in your primary??

I'm applying with a 25M (7PS, 9VR, 9BS)...
3.7 cGPA
3.55 sGPA

good ec's (volunteer at a local pro-bono clinic once a week, emergency critical volunteer program, d.o. and m.d. shadowing, lots of fraternity philanthropy experience, etc.)
decent LOR's

Yall think I stand a chance?? I'm a mississippi resident if that makes a difference..

How long did it take to receive their secondary?! I have been verified for almost two weeks now and received most of my secondaries....this is one of the last schools I'm waiting for.

KCOM received all of my supplemental materials last Friday.

By the way, the verification waiting game with AACOMAS sucks. I cannot fathom what it must feel like when secondaries are going out.

Good luck!

Yes AACOMAS verification sucks, but I submitted mid may and was done early june! Still waiting on Eval 1 to be recieved (virtual eval one), I was told however that the person in charge of those was gone this week and they will catch up next week.

Would someone mind posting what the secondary questions are? I would like to work on them and I am still waiting for my application to be verified! Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Would someone mind posting what the secondary questions are? I would like to work on them and I am still waiting for my application to be verified! Thanks!! :)

What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?

What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician?

secondary was completed today! Now the waiting starts for the interview or denial offer.

Hello everyone, what did you guys put for the second question? I shadowed a DO but I never witnessed him perform anything very 'osteopathic-like' like OMM, and I heard that many DOs really don't even use it, so what should I even say? I shadowed both an MD and DO and I really couldn't even distinguish between the two... which makes it a hard question

I find it kind of strange how this school asks for SAT scores in their supplementary app....

Hello everyone, what did you guys put for the second question? I shadowed a DO but I never witnessed him perform anything very 'osteopathic-like' like OMM, and I heard that many DOs really don't even use it, so what should I even say? I shadowed both an MD and DO and I really couldn't even distinguish between the two... which makes it a hard question

MANY DOs dont use OMM and practice exactly like MDs. The DO I worked with in the Army, I didnt know he was a DO for months afterwards when I saw him sign something. Then starting talking to him and he actually did speak very eloquently about the philosophy.

As long as you shadowed him and get a letter from a DO, it looks better than MD. If he didn use OMM, then oh well. Adcoms realize many DOs dont use it. That shouldn't be your fault!

I find it kind of strange how this school asks for SAT scores in their supplementary app....

Amen to that. This is just weird. I put that I didnt remember. Because it is the truth. It was 10 years ago!!!

@droogdoc, yeah... honestly my impression is that DO schools do know that a lot of their graduates dont even use OMM, but this is KCOM, isnt this THE ORIGINAL osteopathic school? its like i'd understand if PCOM or NYCOM doesn't care as much about OMM even though its a DO school but i feel like KCOM would stand by OMM to death. i dunno, maybe i'm just babbling.

@droogdoc, yeah... honestly my impression is that DO schools do know that a lot of their graduates dont even use OMM, but this is KCOM, isnt this THE ORIGINAL osteopathic school? its like i'd understand if PCOM or NYCOM doesn't care as much about OMM even though its a DO school but i feel like KCOM would stand by OMM to death. i dunno, maybe i'm just babbling.

Hey everyone, I'm a student here at KCOM. It's true that KCOM has a reputation of having a great OTM dept. You will spend roughly 2 hrs a day, 4 days a week doing OTM in class. So it is stressed at this school. But, every one has a choice of using OMM in their practice. I personally will, but there are many in my class that won't use OMM. It's up to the individual.

KCOM traditionally starts interviewing the first week of October. Good Luck.

Hey everyone, I'm a student here at KCOM. It's true that KCOM has a reputation of having a great OTM dept. You will spend roughly 2 hrs a day, 4 days a week doing OTM in class. So it is stressed at this school. But, every one has a choice of using OMM in their practice. I personally will, but there are many in my class that won't use OMM. It's up to the individual.

KCOM traditionally starts interviewing the first week of October. Good Luck.

Doesnt surprise me. Nova seems to stress it too, they even have an OMM fellowship thing and you are supposedly introduced to those guys on interview day. Guess they are big on it too.

Does anyone know what "quality points" are? If you look at the pdf of the file sent to the schools you applied to, you will find it under the gpa section. Personally, anything called "quality points" based only on gpa kind of freaks me out.

Ok I found the answer to my own question:

"I havent been verified, but as far as I know, quality points are a value used to calculate your gpa. It's the amount of total points you obtain before dividing by the amount of credit hours you have taken. It is somewhat hard to explain in words so just follow this example:

If you get an B in a 3 credit course, you get 9 quality points because a B is a 3.0 on the grading scale. So 3 credits x 3.0 scaled points = 9 quality points"

I searched for quality points, and this post came up from DrDre something or other. It is ChocolateBear approved, so I'm going to stick with this definition :)

Quality points calculate your GPA minus any AP CLEP or course work not taken for a grade.

BTW, when does KCOM start sending interview invites?? I am all complete and just waiting for news on an interview.

does anyone know if you apply dual degree if you will no longer be considered for the regular D.O program?

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I am ready to turn in my secondary to KCOM but am unsure if I have to use the letter format given in the secondary or if I can use interfolio in its place?

Both ATSU branches accept Interfolio.

Doesnt surprise me. Nova seems to stress it too, they even have an OMM fellowship thing and you are supposedly introduced to those guys on interview day. Guess they are big on it too.

Many schools do fellowships for many different subjects. KCOM is no exception currently they have OTM, Anatomy, and MedEd fellows. It's an opportunity to learn your material better and help the classes that are going through your subject.

how long did it take you guys to get your "payment" status received? everything else of mine seems to be received, MCAT, LORs, except the payment status.

Does anyone know what "quality points" are? If you look at the pdf of the file sent to the schools you applied to, you will find it under the gpa section. Personally, anything called "quality points" based only on gpa kind of freaks me out.
"Quality points" are 4 for an A; 3 for a B; 2 for a C; 1 for a D; and, zero for an F. Used to figure numerical GPA.

Interview invite! I still need to schedule it but the first available days are in October.

wow congrats! as with everyone else, when were you complete?

I wasn't too excited about this school at first mostly because of its location but after meeting and speaking at length with a graduate and looking at the affordability of rentals in the area, its looking nicer and nicer.
Anyway...glad to hear invites are going out.
For any current students...do students spend much time in St. Louis hospitals?

Interview invite this morning by e-mail. Have to schedule it online and pick a date. They are offering many dates in October!!!

Got interview invite about 15 minutes ago via email! They seem to be offering times every Monday Thursday and Friday of October.

Just got an email invite as well. Interviewing October 8! Whoo hoo.

Only way to minimize the impact to my schedule was for me to take the 9th. 8 hour drive there on the 8th and drive back the 9th.