ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My first acceptance. I loved the place! Interview was awesome and laid back.

Members don't see this ad.

I got the call on Wednesday... I am so excited! My interviews went really well, and I left with a really good feeling about the school. I can't wait to get the acceptance packet and read through all the forms... I think it might feel more "real" then. ALso, I can't wait to decline my acceptance at AZCOM!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had my interview on Thursday. . .it definitely was not bad at all, and I got all very anxious for nothing really! The whole day was so great, and I absolutely love KCOM. So, let me tell you a little bit about my interviews. . .

My first interview was with Dr. Roof and anesthesiologist. I think that we had a very good conversation. . .there was no pressure, just me and him talking. He told me straight off the bat that he just wanted me to tell him about myself and we will take the interview from there, and that is what we did. He did have one concern about my application, but when I explained it to him, then he seemed to understand. I kind of felt bad because he got a couple of phone calls during the interview, and I felt like I was taking him away from his job because I am sure he is quite busy with surgeries and his pain clinic. Nonetheless, he was a very very nice guy, had awesome extracurricular interests and just a great interviewer.

My second interview seemed more of a challenge. It was with Dr. Kondershav who had a PhD in Vertebrae Paleontology and taught Histology at KCOM. He asked me the basic interview questions. . why I want to be a doctor, my strengths, weakness, ect. I felt I was not performing as well as I could have due to the anixety, and these basic questions make for quite a boring interview, so I looking for a spot to take over the interview. When I finally did, I was able to ask questions about himself, his research and his interests. From that point on, it seemed like we were having a good conversation, and he was smiling a bit by the end of the interview. It was a very easy interview with a nice, laid back scientist. I just think I could have performed a little better, so I hope it does not hurt me.

The interview with the admissions councilor was easy. . .but do not take this one for granted. They also have input on whether you should be accepted or not. But basically, he just explained the rest of the process to me, the deposit due dates and then asked just a few, very easy questions. He asked me what was the one thing that I could not live without. . .I was totally not expecting that one! So it took me a few seconds of thinking to give him an answer.

Overall, the day went so very well. Everyone was sooo nice. Dean Slocum spoke with us for a few minutes during the curriculum overview, and he was such a cool guy! Like many have said before, the OMM lab is hugeeee, and it is definitely a big subject at KCOM. The town itself is small (takes probably 10 minutes to drive through), but I am a small town kind of guy and I definitely love it. It has a Super-Walmart that is open 24/7 so that is very convient! I am keeping my fingers crossed for an acceptance because this is definitely my number one school!! Anyways, I hoped that helped a little bit for anybody who has their interviews coming up! =)

He asked me the basic interview questions. . why I want to be a doctor, my strengths, weakness, ect.

These basic questions tend to be a big deal, IMO. They want to see if you know yourself, and can show confidence in defining your motivations in life.

Hope you hear the good news. KCOM was definitely my favorite school where I interviewed.:thumbup:

So KCOM called me this morning and asked if I would move my Dec. 17 interview to this Friday!!! :scared: I accepted and am now officially in freakout mode!

Did this happen to anyone else?

I finished my application Tuesday, was called Wed and interviewed that same Friday... you will be fine :)

So KCOM called me this morning and asked if I would move my Dec. 17 interview to this Friday!!! :scared: I accepted and am now officially in freakout mode!

Did this happen to anyone else?
I interviewed there last Thursday.. I was nervous at first, but after the first 5 minutes or so, it all went away. The whole day is very low stress! Good luck!

I interviewed last friday. Very laid back! perfect location to learn how to be a doctor....an acceptance from this school would be awesome.

I interviewed last friday. Very laid back! perfect location to learn how to be a doctor....an acceptance from this school would be awesome.

I did too, let me know when you hear something! good luck :)

sounds good Doc Mommy, good luck to you too!

Is attendance mandatory? And do they record lectures?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is attendance mandatory? And do they record lectures?

Some classes are mandatory, or just certain lectures in a class are. Lectures are recorded and posted online almost as soon as the class is over.

Some classes are mandatory, or just certain lectures in a class are. Lectures are recorded and posted online almost as soon as the class is over.

Do you know when they're going to start video recording the lectures? They weren't sure of a time table last I knew.

Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is for interviewees or if a bias even exists for KCOM?

Good luck to all interviewing!

has anyone who interviewed last week heard anything yetttt? i'm going crazy!

Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is for interviewees or if a bias even exists for KCOM?

Good luck to all interviewing!

This is according to US World and News Report...
Basically no bias for In State #'s but maybe an advantage for success.

From the statistics of class of 08... meaning 07 interviews
KCOM:
Total admissions data 3174 applied, 439 interviewed, 351 were accepted, 172 enrolled
In-state admissions data 208 applied, 65 interviewed, 55 were accepted, 34 enrolled
Out-of-state admissions data 2966 applied, 374 interviewed, 296 were accepted, 138 enrolled
Women's admissions data 1579 applied, 179 interviewed, 146 were accepted, 70 enrolled
Minority admissions data 758 applied, 70 interviewed, 56 were accepted, 28 enrolled
International admissions data 8 interviewed, 8 were accepted, 6 enrolled
Fall 2008 GPA and MCAT Scores
Average undergraduate GPA 3.45
Oldest MCAT considered 2006
Average MCAT score 8.6

We have heard nothing about video lectures yet. Audio lectures are better, and here's why: You can remove noise, and then use 'truncate silence' in Audacity, which cuts at least 15 minutes of garbage from the recording. Then use WMP to listen to the lecture at double speed, and follow along with the powerpoint. When I interviewed, they were usually back to people within a week, two weeks at the most. I'm not sure if they have increased the time frame this year.

How long did it take after you finished your secondary to hear about an interview invite?

How long did it take after you finished your secondary to hear about an interview invite?

I am in state and was put on the short-call list for an interview 2 days after I submitted my secondary. My interview was that same Friday, but I know this is not the average time, I just got lucky. Good luck!:luck:

I am in state and was put on the short-call list for an interview 2 days after I submitted my secondary. My interview was that same Friday, but I know this is not the average time, I just got lucky. Good luck!:luck:

How long ago did they call you?

This is according to US World and News Report...
Basically no bias for In State #'s but maybe an advantage for success.

From the statistics of class of 08... meaning 07 interviews
KCOM:
Total admissions data 3174 applied, 439 interviewed, 351 were accepted, 172 enrolled
In-state admissions data 208 applied, 65 interviewed, 55 were accepted, 34 enrolled
Out-of-state admissions data 2966 applied, 374 interviewed, 296 were accepted, 138 enrolled
Women's admissions data 1579 applied, 179 interviewed, 146 were accepted, 70 enrolled
Minority admissions data 758 applied, 70 interviewed, 56 were accepted, 28 enrolled
International admissions data 8 interviewed, 8 were accepted, 6 enrolled
Fall 2008 GPA and MCAT Scores
Average undergraduate GPA 3.45
Oldest MCAT considered 2006
Average MCAT score 8.6

Hey! You are awesome! Thanks for that info! :)

Congrats, did you call in? what time? They told the Friday group to call Thursday, hope I get in too!

Thanks! They called me about 4:50 cst. I interviewed on Thursday.. they told us to call the following Thursday as well.

Just spoke to admissions.....unreal!!

You're not required to have a laptop. I'd say +90% of students do though. Mix of PC and Mac :)

Actually I believe for the class of 2014 KCOM is requiring the students to have a laptop. I was told by one of the admissions staff members that there would be a couple of PC options and one Mac option. The acceptance packet says to look forward to future information about these options.

I am waiting for my packet in the mail but hoping one of you may tell me what kind of deposits I am required to make to hold my seat, is it 1k or 2 k?

KCOM 2014:D

I received my acceptance letter in the mail on Tuesday. Though I got the phone call last Wednesday, it didn't seem real until I saw it on paper.

"Mom I am going to be a doctor when I grow up." IT'S REAL. I'm goin' to medical school next year! YIPPEEE! :D

I am waiting for my packet in the mail but hoping one of you may tell me what kind of deposits I am required to make to hold my seat, is it 1k or 2 k?

1000 to hold the seat by I think December? Depends upon when you got accepted

500 in April
500 in May

2000 total

I called this morning, and I was told that there was no decision on my file yet. . .I'm still alive! I am just hoping that the adcom loves me on Wednesday. . .I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Does anyone have any information about the clinical sites in AZ and UT???

Is anyone here interviewing next Thursday, the 12th of November?

Congrats! I interviewed with you... are you set on KCOM or still deciding?

Congrats! I interviewed with you... are you set on KCOM or still deciding?

Let me guess you are the cutie from st louie? haha yeah I'm pretty set on KCOM what about you?

i interviewed with both of ya'll on that friday and got in too!

i interviewed with both of ya'll on that friday and got in too!

Awesome man, congrats. How are you feeling about it, any other schools in competition?

Went complete 10/29, got the interview invite today and interview 12/17 :)

Got an invite today. Nothing was available until January. Anybody have advice on which is better...flying into Kansas City or St. Louis and driving in?

Got an invite today. Nothing was available until January. Anybody have advice on which is better...flying into Kansas City or St. Louis and driving in?
Somewhere in this thread I want to say I read that it was better to fly into Columbia if possible because it's a much shorter post-flight drive...

Somewhere in this thread I want to say I read that it was better to fly into Columbia if possible because it's a much shorter post-flight drive...

Columbia seems to be about half the drive, but it's not an international airport so flights seem quite hard to come by. I think only delta and north west air fly into Columbia.

Awesome man, congrats. How are you feeling about it, any other schools in competition?

Nope not really...unless one of the texas schools offers (we don't hear back from them until at least November 16). I'm pretty excited about it, whenever i got the call it didn't seem real.

I flew into St. Louis and hopped a puddlejumper to kirksville. the airplane ride from kirksville to st. louis and back cost $100 total, which is cheaper and easier than renting a car. I think the airline that services Kirkville is Air Choice One.

What time does the interview day end (trying to figure out some flights).