ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I know I'm kinda late, but my AACOMAS app took forever to process...but anyway, on the secondary where it asks about clinical/health experiences, did u guys just copy and paste from ur primary app?

Members don't see this ad.

More-or-less, though I had an additional experience to add that I hadn't done prior to submitting my AACOMAS.

Got an invite today. Nothing was available until January. Anybody have advice on which is better...flying into Kansas City or St. Louis and driving in?

I flew in to kansas, seems faster- made the drive in 2hrs- dont use the diagonal 2 lane lookin highway on the map- no good even though it looks faster- stay on the main highways

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I know I'm kinda late, but my AACOMAS app took forever to process...but anyway, on the secondary where it asks about clinical/health experiences, did u guys just copy and paste from ur primary app?

yeah some of the application is redundant, I dont think they would mind for that portion

i started crying before i even answered the phone. wow im a nerd :D

Sorry to ask this again but trying to book flights ... what time does the interview day end???

Sorry to ask this again but trying to book flights ... what time does the interview day end???

Everyone is done with the interviews by noon. After that everything is optional- lunch, OMT demo, tour, financial aid and wellness presentations. I stayed for the whole day and was done by 2:45pm.

They understand how hectic/inconvenient traveling to Kirksville is so they won't hold it against you if you leave early.

Accepted earlier while I was on the golf course!!!!!! This is the best feeling in the world. . . I'll definitely be in Kirksville next year!! :soexcited:

I got the call today and was sooooooooo excited!!! I just interviewed on Monday, so it was awesome to hear back so soon!!!! Yay for Class of 2014!!! :D

hey guys somebody on another thread had a good idea to start a facebook page for their new class. we should do something similar to better get to know each other and plan out housing and what not :D

There is one, but you have to be invited, if you pm me your info, I will try to get you an invite. That goes for anyone else too.

*edit*

The group owners are informed by kcom of all officially accepted students, and they send the invite at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
There is one, but you have to be invited, if you pm me your info, I will try to get you an invite. That goes for anyone else too.

*edit*

The group owners are informed by kcom of all officially accepted students, and they send the invite at that time.

thanks, thats weird because I was accepted a week ago and did not receive anything. Is it after you sign the contract or something to that affect?

thanks, thats weird because I was accepted a week ago and did not receive anything. Is it after you sign the contract or something to that affect?

I'm curious about this as well.

I'm curious about this as well.

You will receive all the info from admissions after you pay your deposit and get all your acceptance items squared away. You get a checklist with your acceptance packet of a list of things you have to complete (updated transcripts/background check/etc). IT will send out your atsu email in a few months and then the facebook group will be opened up. Don't get over anxious for school to start...trust me. Enjoy your acceptance/free time/family & friends and worry about school stuff later. You will have plenty of time to line up housing and whatnot later. I know some people that didn't rent places until August and still found great options.

i started crying before i even answered the phone. wow im a nerd :D

I answered the phone in this really high-pitched squeaky voice and ended up jumping around my office for the next 10 minutes. My co-workers now stay clear of me :)

You will receive all the info from admissions after you pay your deposit and get all your acceptance items squared away. You get a checklist with your acceptance packet of a list of things you have to complete (updated transcripts/background check/etc). IT will send out your atsu email in a few months and then the facebook group will be opened up. Don't get over anxious for school to start...trust me. Enjoy your acceptance/free time/family & friends and worry about school stuff later. You will have plenty of time to line up housing and whatnot later. I know some people that didn't rent places until August and still found great options.

Thanks buddy, how do you like your first year so far?

Thanks buddy, how do you like your first year so far?

Overall, I really have enjoyed it. There have been good days/weeks/tests and then others are not as enjoyable. Next week is finals, so ask me then :)

I got a letter in the mail saying my application is on hold. That's better than an outright rejection or a waitlist, but I don't have my hopes up.

Accepted earlier while I was on the golf course!!!!!! This is the best feeling in the world. . . I'll definitely be in Kirksville next year!! :soexcited:

One problem....Superman MD? Gonna have to fix those letters.... ;)

One problem....Superman MD? Gonna have to fix those letters.... ;)

haha, I was wondering when somebody was going to call me out on that. I actually made this account before I actually knew that I really wanted DO more than anything in the world. Now my excuse is. . . .well Superman can't possibly ever be a DO because he is way to strong to be able to perform OMM, and he'll end up screwing up the patient even more! Lame excuse? Probably. . .but it is the best I can come up with! :)

I found this schedule on the interview scheduling page. I thought it may be helpful for those interviewing.

8 a.m.-8:15 a.m.Admissions Briefing8:15 a.m.-9 a.m.Curriculum Overview9 a.m.-Noon Interview I and II (two, one-hour 1:1 interviews)
Admissions Staff (one, 10-15 minute interview)
Spouse/Significant Partner/Guest Informational Session Noon-12:30 p.m.Lunch with Student Ambassadors12:30 p.m.-1 p.m.Osteopathic Case Study Demonstration1:15 p.m.-1:45 p.m.Financial Services Program1:45 p.m.-2 p.m. Student Wellness Information 2 p.m.-2:45p.m.Campus Tour (Optional)

Hi Everyone! I am interviewing on Nov. 19 - anyone else going to be there that day?

I am really excited! Also, has anyone interviewed there recently? What was it like? This is my first interview so I am really excited but super nervous too!:)

Hi Everyone! I am interviewing on Nov. 19 - anyone else going to be there that day?

I am really excited! Also, has anyone interviewed there recently? What was it like? This is my first interview so I am really excited but super nervous too!:)

I just interviewed on the 12th and it was my second interview. The staff is very nice and the interviews were relaxed. They were more conversations than being grilled on topics. Be honest, relax, and say what you need to say. You'll be fine. The town is small but it's not as bad as a lot of people say. Good luck! Let me know if you have any other interview questions.

I was super nervous too before I interviewed, but when I walked into the school for the first time, all the anxiety just dissipates because everyone is so nice and kind. All of my interviews were extremely laid back and conversational. . .so just relax and be yourself. You will do fine. . .good luck! =)

Thanks guys for all of the great feedback! I am really looking forward to my interview! I will keep you all posted!

KCOM is a great school. The small town atmosphere is great for studying and also getting to know your classmates. You will know your classmates very well compared to other schools. The best part is you get to chose where you go for your clinical years. I know that is a long time from what you are thinking now, but do consider it when you apply to other schools. I am a 4th year graduating this year from KCOM and I am glad I chose KCOM as it has prepared me well.

I am going to begin looking at different loan programs and was hoping to get some feedback from current and new students on what they feel is the best route to take for loaning the mojority of the 4 years tuition and related expenses; housing, food etc. Should you go with one complete loan or split it up between different creditors, subsidized/ unsubsidized, blah blah blah. When do you need to have a loan locked in etc?

:DKCOM 2014:D

I am going to begin looking at different loan programs and was hoping to get some feedback from current and new students on what they feel is the best route to take for loaning the mojority of the 4 years tuition and related expenses; housing, food etc. Should you go with one complete loan or split it up between different creditors, subsidized/ unsubsidized, blah blah blah. When do you need to have a loan locked in etc?

Go all government loans if possible. There is a maximum subsidized amount, take all of that. Make the rest up with graduate plus loans. There is no need to lock these loans in.

I just paid my deposit and matriculation fee for KCOM. I hope to see you all in the fall!

Interview Invite! Secondary Submitted 11/6 & Interview scheduled for 12/11

Congrats! I just got an interview invite today and am scheduled for 12/18! I'm very excited and nervous as it is my first one :)
YAY!
KCOM was my first interview too. Don't be nervous. They are so very nice.

Hi!

Has anyone stayed at the Budget Host Village Inn or know anyone who has stayed there? I interview in Jan, and I'm trying to find a relatively cheap, decent place for my guest to stay since KCOM wasn't able to provide lodging for both my guest and me. If that place stinks, does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere near the school? We'll have a car, so it doesn't have to be TOO close.

Thanks!

Hi!

Has anyone stayed at the Budget Host Village Inn or know anyone who has stayed there? I interview in Jan, and I'm trying to find a relatively cheap, decent place for my guest to stay since KCOM wasn't able to provide lodging for both my guest and me. If that place stinks, does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere near the school? We'll have a car, so it doesn't have to be TOO close.

Thanks!

I stayed there when I interviewd. I would say it is not a great place to stay. If I was going again by myself I would stay there just because of the price, but my wife did not enjoy the place at all, and I wouldn't say I did either. I am just super cheap so I would stay there just for the price, but not put my wife or anyone else there unless they are super cheap like me.

Go all government loans if possible. There is a maximum subsidized amount, take all of that. Make the rest up with graduate plus loans. There is no need to lock these loans in.

Thanks for the info! Good luck with the exams.

I just interviewed on the 12th and it was my second interview. The staff is very nice and the interviews were relaxed. They were more conversations than being grilled on topics. Be honest, relax, and say what you need to say. You'll be fine. The town is small but it's not as bad as a lot of people say. Good luck! Let me know if you have any other interview questions.

I don't know if there is enough room at this school for a thrashers fan and kings fan, better start looking elsewhere :D jk good luck

I stayed there when I interviewd. I would say it is not a great place to stay. If I was going again by myself I would stay there just because of the price, but my wife did not enjoy the place at all, and I wouldn't say I did either. I am just super cheap so I would stay there just for the price, but not put my wife or anyone else there unless they are super cheap like me.

That bad, huh. We probably won't want to stay there then. It is ridiculously cheap, but if it's not clean and kind of sketchy, then probably not worth the low price. Thanks!

undergrad: sGPA 3.0 GPA 3.4
post bacc: sGPA 3.6 GPA 3.8

MCAT 28P

some volunteering & Lots of research experience

Hope this helps!

yeah, thanks! and congrats again...good luck :luck:!

I don't know if there is enough room at this school for a thrashers fan and kings fan, better start looking elsewhere :D jk good luck

Especially after the 7-0 beat down we put on you guys last Friday ;)

It's ok, Kopitar and Frolov are on my fantasy team and I have nothing against the Kings. Congrats and maybe I'll see you in the fall!

That bad, huh. We probably won't want to stay there then. It is ridiculously cheap, but if it's not clean and kind of sketchy, then probably not worth the low price. Thanks!

I stayed there when I interviewed and I didn't think it was that bad. Its a bed, a shower, tv, and internet. And for me that was enough. The continental breakfast is a joke so plan on either bringing something or getting something or there are granola bars at KCOM.

I also have stayed at the Knight's Inn which is about the same price and it is also not that bad, a bed/shower/internet/tv/etc.

YAY!
KCOM was my first interview too. Don't be nervous. They are so very nice.
Thanks!

For the applicants that were accepted to KCOM, would you mind sharing your stats and interview advice? Thank you :)

Thanks!

For the applicants that were accepted to KCOM, would you mind sharing your stats and interview advice? Thank you :)

3.5 science/3.3 overall, 9 on bio and 9 on phys P on writing. Anyways you shouldn't be so worried about it. THe school is really good at looking at the broader picture of the potential student. The school does look at the numbers but it is who you are and what you have done that I feel ultimately determines their decision. As for interview advice; be yourself and show conviction and your passion for medicine. As I am sure you have heard the interview is very relaxed, but I think that is because they really want to know who you are. If they are spending the entire 2.5 hours grilling you all they see is a scared little pre-med student. Good luck, and hope to see you next fall!

3.5 science/3.3 overall, 9 on bio and 9 on phys P on writing. Anyways you shouldn't be so worried about it. THe school is really good at looking at the broader picture of the potential student. The school does look at the numbers but it is who you are and what you have done that I feel ultimately determines their decision. As for interview advice; be yourself and show conviction and your passion for medicine. As I am sure you have heard the interview is very relaxed, but I think that is because they really want to know who you are. If they are spending the entire 2.5 hours grilling you all they see is a scared little pre-med student. Good luck, and hope to see you next fall!

Thank you so much, kopitar! I'm really looking forward to the interview, I already have a suit planned and everything :)

Where did you stay while you were interviewing? I opted to stay with a student for the night before my interview, but have not heard back yet. Thanks.

Hi everyone! So I had my interview at KCOM yesterday and was very impressed by everyone at the school. Overall, I really enjoyed my interviews as they were generally pretty laid back. My third interviewer was a little weird though - he basically spent most of the time making sure I knew what I was getting myself into and asking how I thought I would be able to handle this time commitment with a family (I have two little girls) and so I tried my best to convince him that my husband and I are fully committed to this, etc. He also asked me if I thought that since I was a woman with a family should I get special treatment and also if I thought women had a harder time in the profession than men... So this interview was a little more unsettling than the others but he was still very nice - I just hope I was able to convince him! :scared:

Thank you so much, kopitar! I'm really looking forward to the interview, I already have a suit planned and everything :)

Where did you stay while you were interviewing? I opted to stay with a student for the night before my interview, but have not heard back yet. Thanks.

I stayed at the super 8. I am a pretty easy going person but I should not have left it up to expedia to book the room as they put me right across from the lobby. All night all I heard was people coming and going and some random TV. All in all I got maybe a half hour sleep before the interview. This may have worked to my benefit, though, because the incredible lack of sleep made me more relaxed and less tense during the interview- kind of a no B.S. straight to the point type of thing. I DO NOT recommend this to anyone else though :D. Good luck.

Oh and to THRASHERS FAN: I have Frolov and Kopitar on my fantasy too- pick up Stoll if you still can