ATSU/KCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new thread. Game on!

Members don't see this ad.

Like Kopitar said ... good luck! Don't hesitate to ask any questions, and feel free to PM me if you have any issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, just got the secondary invite. I've noticed that a lot of these secondaries ask us to list healthcare experience. I already put all that stuff on aacomas, so do i need to re-list it?

If not, than why do they assume that we didn't already put everything on the primary application?

I'd re-list it. They may only review your primary or secondary during the (potential) interview process, so wouldn't hurt to have it on both.

Just got my secondary, Good luck every1!!!!!!!!

All I know is, if I get an interview, jagger's gotta take me out the bars so I can sample the social atmosphere.

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

All I know is, if I get an interview, jagger's gotta take me out the bars so I can sample the social atmosphere.

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

:thumbup:

Anyone know the earliest they will start deciding on interviews? Anyone know when the earliest interviews take place? I just submitted my secondary Friday.

Anyone know the earliest they will start deciding on interviews? Anyone know when the earliest interviews take place? I just submitted my secondary Friday.

From what I remember interviews can start as early as late september, october. If I am not mistaken mine was late october

Definetly excited about this school. My DO LOR is from an alum and he had nothing but great things to say about the school and surrounding areas. :)

Definetly excited about this school. My DO LOR is from an alum and he had nothing but great things to say about the school and surrounding areas. :)

Wow! an LOR from and alumn? Thats gonna help a ton

Members don't see this ad :)
for those getting secondaries, when were your primaries accepted/released?

Wow! an LOR from and alumn? Thats gonna help a ton

I sure hope so, he had nothing but great things to say about the school. I am in the same type of situation he was in as far as having a wife and kids etc so I think I've kept my fingers crossed ever since my app was released lol.

for those getting secondaries, when were your primaries accepted/released?

Submitted 6/11
Verified 6/17
Released 6/22

Last edited:
AACOMAS Submitted 6/1

Released 6/6

Hope this helps. :xf:

Yeah, thanks!

Nice work on getting yours in so early!

Mine werent released until 6/18 and Ive only received a few secondaries so far...hate the wait

I sure hope so, he had nothing but great things to say about the school. I am in the same type of situation he was in as far as having a wife and kids etc so I think I've kept my fingers crossed ever since my app was released lol.

Submitted 4/11
Verified 4/17
Released 4/22

Am I missing something? how did you submit in April, aren't we not allowed to submit until June 1st, and we can't get verified until after we've submitted?

Am I missing something? how did you submit in April, aren't we not allowed to submit until June 1st, and we can't get verified until after we've submitted?

Oh wow, sorry...was watching the World Cup while typing. Sorry! It's fixed now :)

Yea, a little disappointed but it was a good game nonetheless...

Hey folks! Good luck with your application! I am just about to move myself over to K-Vegas for MS1. I am always happy to chat it up or relay some experience from the application and (soon) the transition to medical school. PM me anytime!

The application season was kind to me, and I was lucky enough to have multiple acceptances. Prior to interviewing I ranked KCOM rather low on my wish list simply because of the location. A**crack nowhere as my roommate colorfully put it. I grew up in cities and thought I wanted to study medicine in the city as well. Despite the low personal ranking I girded my loins and forked over the money to interview (flying to Kirksville from Seattle is not cheap). KCOM blew me away. Kirksville is friendly, the school is phenomenal, the resources on campus are great, the facilities are high tech but not overwhelmingly so, and the staff all seem to be passionate about being educators. I also got into AZCOM, CCOM, PNWU, and NSUCOM none of which clicked quite like ATSU. I wish you all the best of luck this year!

Hey folks! Good luck with your application! I am just about to move myself over to K-Vegas for MS1. I am always happy to chat it up or relay some experience from the application and (soon) the transition to medical school. PM me anytime!

The application season was kind to me, and I was lucky enough to have multiple acceptances. Prior to interviewing I ranked KCOM rather low on my wish list simply because of the location. A**crack nowhere as my roommate colorfully put it. I grew up in cities and thought I wanted to study medicine in the city as well. Despite the low personal ranking I girded my loins and forked over the money to interview (flying to Kirksville from Seattle is not cheap). KCOM blew me away. Kirksville is friendly, the school is phenomenal, the resources on campus are great, the facilities are high tech but not overwhelmingly so, and the staff all seem to be passionate about being educators. I also got into AZCOM, CCOM, PNWU, and NSUCOM none of which clicked quite like ATSU. I wish you all the best of luck this year!

Wow, my story is shockingly close to yours!

Questions about my letters of rec~

How are you all sending your LOR's to the school? Through virutal eval?

Thanks!

Questions about my letters of rec~

How are you all sending your LOR's to the school? Through virutal eval?

Thanks!

I sent all of my letters through virtual evals. the only school that hasn't accepted it is michigan and i am withdrawing from there

I sent all of my letters through virtual evals. the only school that hasn't accepted it is michigan and i am withdrawing from there

Is there a way to pull up virutal evals? I know my school uploaded all 4 LOR's to the site, does that mean the schools will recieve all 4 LOR's?

Is there a way to pull up virutal evals? I know my school uploaded all 4 LOR's to the site, does that mean the schools will recieve all 4 LOR's?

once my undergrad school uploaded the letters i got an e-mail directly from virtual evals with a link showing which schools were given access to the letters. it appears all letters were made available to all of the schools but it is up to the individual schools which ones they choose to access/look at

Sounds great! Thanks!

Hey guys I'm having a hard time approaching the following question:

What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician?

Basically the only real difference between DO and MD is OMM; and I hardly have any "experience/exposure" to OMM. I did consult with a DO internist for about an hour, who also wrote a LOR for me. But we didn't talk about OMM, much less get to witness anything. I also shadowed a DO pathologist, but she might as well have been a MD.

Aside from that I did read a book about the history of OM to educate myself about the development of the science. This is problematic for me. Should I immediately try to find a DO who performs OMM to shadow for a while and then come back to this prompt? For you matriculates, did you guys all have first-hand experience with OMM?

What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician?

Basically the only real difference between DO and MD is OMM; and I hardly have any "experience/exposure" to OMM. I did consult with a DO internist for about an hour, who also wrote a LOR for me. But we didn't talk about OMM, much less get to witness anything. I also shadowed a DO pathologist, but she might as well have been a MD.

Aside from that I did read a book about the history of OM to educate myself about the development of the science. This is problematic for me. Should I immediately try to find a DO who performs OMM to shadow for a while and then come back to this prompt? For you matriculates, did you guys all have first-hand experience with OMM?

I pm'd you :)

I recommend the book "The DOs". It gives the hx of osteopathic medicine as well as some of the important differences

Thats a great question. I addressed this issue by conveying my thoughts on the differences in the MD's and DO's that I shadowed. I noted that the DO's many times showed much better bedside manner and compassion. I went on to mention the DO's were able to connect with their patients in ways that several of the MD's had not. This is not to represent that DO's as a whole are better than MD's in any way. This is simply what I noticed within the circle of physicians and surgeons I personally followed. It is probably appropriate to note that the ability to connect well with your patients may not vary as much across the MD/DO spectrum as it does regarding the field of medicine being practiced, as well as the context therein.
Just think long and hard about all your experiences and research on the topic- you should be able to write a compelling paragraph about the matter. I believe it is one of the most important questions asked on the application as they will refer to it time and again during your interview.

Does anyone know the essays for the secondary yet?

Thanks!

1)What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?
.(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. ..All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author...).

2)What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician?
.(Please limit your response to 500 words or less... All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author...).

Yay! just got a secondary today!!! KCOM is really fast cuz my application just got verified yesterday :p

Hey guys. I have a quick question. Is the evaluation form required? I'm a little bit confused. First it states something like the form is recommended, but not required. And then when I downloaded the form, it says "This form must accompany any packet or letters submitted" or something like that..What does it mean? There is no way for me to go back to my professor and fill out the form for me. He/she is probably on vacation. I don't want to wait until September plus I don't even know if he/she is going to teach next term. I use interfolio for my letters and all my letters are in already. I'm so confused.

Please help.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I have a quick question. Is the evaluation form required? I'm a little bit confused. First it states something like the form is recommended, but not required. And then when I downloaded the form, it says "This form must accompany any packet or letters submitted" or something like that..What does it mean? There is no way for me to go back to my professor and fill out the form for me. He/she is probably on vacation. I don't want to wait until September plus I don't even know if he/she is going to teach next term. I use interfolio for my letters and all my letters are in already. I'm so confused.

And again, there is nowhere on the form for the signature of the letter writer. How are they going to know who finished the form? Please help.
I never turned one in. I just sent in my letters through Interfolio and all was well.

Waiting patiently, was complete on 7/6. Looks like invites didn't go out until mid-August last year though with the first interview dates in October

Only 4 spots for clinical experiences... I find this odd, what if we have more?

Only 4 spots for clinical experiences... I find this odd, what if we have more?

pick the most important/significant, they will look at your primary as well. Make sure they are true clinical experience with patient contact too. I've seen alot of people saying they are listing hospital clerical work as clinical experience, no patient contact = no clinical experience.

pick the most important/significant, they will look at your primary as well. Make sure they are true clinical experience with patient contact too. I've seen alot of people saying they are listing hospital clerical work as clinical experience, no patient contact = no clinical experience.

yeah, I emailed them to see if I could just send them extra clinical experiences and got a reply saying to make sure I combined like experiences (like all shadowing under one experience). I'm pretty sure it said that somewhere on the app because I'd already done that, duh. lol oh well, I submitted with my top four last night, so I'm complete :) yay

I was a clerk in the Emergency Room, and believe me I had plenty of patient contact. As LizzyM the adcom who posts on the allopathic forum says, "it counts as clinical experience if you can smell the patients"

I was a clerk in the Emergency Room, and believe me I had plenty of patient contact. As LizzyM the adcom who posts on the allopathic forum says, "it counts as clinical experience if you can smell the patients"

Smell the patients means you were close enough to smell them, not in the same area as them. I more meant people whose only interaction with patients was saying hello in passing.

Smell the patients means you were close enough to smell them, not in the same area as them. I more meant people whose only interaction with patients was saying hello in passing.

I understand, and I agree with you. Only if you truly have clinical experience should it be listed. I just wanted to point out that it is possible to have a job which is clerical in nature, but that would also be noteworthy as clinical experience.