ATSU/KCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
quick question, when you guys log in to check your status does it say , "application in process", and whats the code they require to type in the box above the status. Is that something they email after the interview invite?

Even after interview invite it says application in process. The code in the box is to show you the dates and if they have received the items. It was the confirmation code that was in the e-mail they sent you acknowledging the receipt of the secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been invited to interview at both campuses? I've got soma but I'd also really like an interview here!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

PS if you had picked the 14th we could have pooled resources

28th was the earliest available. If the 14th was there I woulda grabbed that.

Sweet. Nice work bud!!! Send me a PM if you have any questions or want to try and meet up while you're out here.

I'll shoot you a PM when it gets a little closer. I'd love to meet up and hear some opinions

I'll shoot you a PM when it gets a little closer. I'd love to meet up and hear some opinions

For sure!

For anyone else interviewing too ... if you need any advice, have questions, would like to try and meet up to get a first year's perspective, etc, just send me a PM and I'll see what I can do!

Well as I sit here in the airport after the interview I figured I'd let you SDNers know how great this school is. The faculty and staff were incredibly nice and all the students there wished you luck as they walked by. I was VERY impressed. Also, for those who interview, go to the dinner if you can. It was an awesome way to let off the stress for the next day and was a great way to get to know the professors. We sat at the table and just chatted. I think this school will really make a difference on the problems healthcare has. I could go on but will leave it at that. Good luck all.

Well as I sit here in the airport after the interview I figured I'd let you SDNers know how great this school is. The faculty and staff were incredibly nice and all the students there wished you luck as they walked by. I was VERY impressed. Also, for those who interview, go to the dinner if you can. It was an awesome way to let off the stress for the next day and was a great way to get to know the professors. We sat at the table and just chatted. I think this school will really make a difference on the problems healthcare has. I could go on but will leave it at that. Good luck all.
My bad wrong one. Meant to be in SOMA

For sure!

For anyone else interviewing too ... if you need any advice, have questions, would like to try and meet up to get a first year's perspective, etc, just send me a PM and I'll see what I can do!

That goes the same with me. . .if you guys and girls have any questions, want some advice, or want to meet someone in Kirksville to calm your nerves, feel free to shoot me a PM whenever. I try to answer in a reasonable amount of time, but there are lots of things that keep me busy! =)

My bad wrong one. Meant to be in SOMA

haha, I was about to say, I don't remember seeing any interviewees on campus the other day.

Hey do you guys recommend staying at any particular hotel? I will be flying in so I need a hotel that has an airport shuttle.

Im interviewing October 4th. :thumbup:

How do you guys feel about the location of KCOM? It seems like its in the middle of nowhere.

Hey do you guys recommend staying at any particular hotel? I will be flying in so I need a hotel that has an airport shuttle.

How do you guys feel about the location of KCOM? It seems like its in the middle of nowhere.

I stayed in the Holiday Inn when I interviewed. It is nice, but it was expensive ($89 I think). The Days Inn is about $66, and they just renovated it. It looks pretty nice from the outside, though, I've never been inside. There are some really cheap ones around town, but the quality will not be as nice. People have survived in them just fine though. I do not know of any of the hotels that have a shuttle to and from the airport (I am assuming that you are flying into Kville?) though. . .you might just have to go with a taxi (I would call and ask the hotels though). If you want a ride getting from the hotel to the school, I do not mind helping anybody out with that (that way you do not have to spend money on a taxi). That goes for anybody by the way. . . .

Yes, Kirksville is in the middle of nowhere. But really, it doesn't even matter. You are going to be too busy to be able to leave the town most of the time anyways. I can get to Columbia in about 1 hour and 15 minutes, and it has everything that you could want. Most weekends are just filled with studying and sports for me though. And really, Kirksville has everything that you need. I am very happy living here! =)

Members don't see this ad :)

Another vote for Holiday Inn.

Location: I truly don't think it matters much (aside from how close you are to family/loved ones). You really don't have a lot of time to go explore your surroundings, and I've found that most of your time off is more focused around classmates and not the location. Additionally, I'm from So-Cal and actually think K-Ville is a neat little area. I can't speak for everyone, but it's grown on me pretty quick!

Like intramurals? I thought med school was where sports went to die. Care to elaborate?

Yeah, we have intramurals. And then some of us just get teams together and play for fun. I've been playing football, softball, vollyball, and ultimate Frisbee when I have time. And on the weekends, while I'm studying, I have some kind of game on tv, even more so now that football season has started. But yeah, sports does not die for me just because I'm in med school!

Like intramurals? I thought med school was where sports went to die. Care to elaborate?

Dude there is soooooo many opportunities to play sports. theres at least 6 or 7 intramural sports to play every week, plus all the pickup games. I am seriously beginning to worry that I am playing too many sports and not enough studying haha.

Its crazy to think those of you that are going to be interviewing here soon were exactly where I was last year (interviewed 10/29), its a truly exciting time and I wish you the best of luck. let me know if you need anything

KCOM 2014

quick question, when you guys log in to check your status does it say , "application in process", and whats the code they require to type in the box above the status. Is that something they email after the interview invite?

I never got a code either. I only got an email saying they received the secondary and when it was processed I would get a code. That was 3 weeks ago. I did call and they said I was complete.. Still worried though.

Anyone else in the same boat. I should have been complete as of like Aug 28... depending on when they downloaded my letters.

I never got a code either. I only got an email saying they received the secondary and when it was processed I would get a code. That was 3 weeks ago. I did call and they said I was complete.. Still worried though.

Anyone else in the same boat. I should have been complete as of like Aug 28... depending on when they downloaded my letters.

don't worry too much. i never received the code either and i got interview invitation from KCOM a week back. if they told you that you're completed, you are completed

Does anyone else have an interview for November 1st? I'll be driving down on October 31st.

Does anyone else have an interview for November 1st? I'll be driving down on October 31st.

:hello:

Flying in the 31st to Kansas City, and then driving up there.

Has anyone heard any updates regarding the student host program?

:hello:

Flying in the 31st to Kansas City, and then driving up there.

Has anyone heard any updates regarding the student host program?

the students are supposed to contact you. i scheduled my interview on Sep 8th and didn't hear anything till today.

Just got the email for an interview! I'm so excited because KCOM sounds like an amazing school! Especially if they have intramurals :D haha. Flag football is basically my life (LSU champs 3 years running lol)

I scheduled my interview for Nov. 11th! Can't wait!

Just got the email for an interview! I'm so excited because KCOM sounds like an amazing school! Especially if they have intramurals :D haha. Flag football is basically my life (LSU champs 3 years running lol)

I scheduled my interview for Nov. 11th! Can't wait!

When were you complete?

Originally I was complete July 13th, but I retook the mcat August 5th and was officially complete Sept 16th.

Good luck!

got the interview email earlier today. trying to decide which date to pick!

quick question for those that have gone on interviews for KCOM or current students! do you have to fly to Kansas City and drive there? is this typically what everyone does?

Last edited:
Did anybody talk about any specific aspects of the school in their essays. I feel like these essays are more geared toward the applicant than talking about the school. I would appreciate any feedback about this, thanks!

got the interview email earlier today. trying to decide which date to pick!

quick question for those that have gone on interviews for KCOM or current students! do you have to fly to Kansas City and drive there? is this typically what everyone does?

I got advice from a current medical student, who prefers to fly into St. Louis, and arrange for a second flight directly into Kirksville (via CapeAir...check out website... each way is ~ $50).

The other option is a rental car, which as a better deal from Kansas City airport b/c it is closer than STL.

This process is breaking my bank any way you slice it!

Anyone interviewing next monday, oct 4?

I'm excited for the interview!

...as for the transportation question, I'm flying into kirksville via Cape Air. Seems like less of a hassle than driving IMO.

Just got my interview invite....November 11th!!!!!!!!! So excited about this one!

Just a heads up for all of you flying in....Kirksville Regional is not in town. Its still a 5 minute drive from the city itself.

I still think it's best to fly into ST Louis or Kansas City (especially KC) and rent a car. The little jumper plane that flies into K-Ville regional only goes a few times a day and will probably end up costing you more $ in the long run trying to make all the times work. Just my .02 cents. I've tried to do the jumper plane every time I've traveled to and from K-Ville ... never been able to work it out once (while keeping cost, time, and effort reasonable). If you can make it work though, it should be nice!

I still think it's best to fly into ST Louis or Kansas City (especially KC) and rent a car. The little jumper plane that flies into K-Ville regional only goes a few times a day and will probably end up costing you more $ in the long run trying to make all the times work. Just my .02 cents. I've tried to do the jumper plane every time I've traveled to and from K-Ville ... never been able to work it out once (while keeping cost, time, and effort reasonable). If you can make it work though, it should be nice!

Yeah I think you're right. It may be convenient, but it's just not feasible...for me at least. As of now, it looks like I'll be landing around 9pm in KC which puts me getting to the ville around 12 or 12:30 the night before my interview :scared: I can't wait!!!! haha

I have an interview Nov. 4th... really going to interfere with my No-shave November plans, oh well lol.

SO FOR THOSE WITH EXPERIENCE PLEASE HELP: I plan on renting a car on Nov. 4th in Kansas city and drive up to school (google map puts it at a 3 hr and 30 min drive). Everything is fine but for the departure the flight takes off at 07:11 pm on Nov 4th, I figured based on the schools online planner we are done by 2:30 pm. So if I drive down right after to KC I should be there by 6:00 PM and thats perfect. HOWEVER, I live in Los Angeles so Traffic here is a nightmare no matter what time of the day it is! Will I have any problems on my drive back to KC, I just want to make sure I make it back on Time. ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!

KCOM is amazing! Still have not found one thing to complain about and dont regret my decision to come here at all! All my classmates are awesome and theres always something to do or get involved in when your not studying!

KVille is best little city ever! haha

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

In the words of the famous Dr. Uray, "good enough"

Last edited:
Going to be in town later tonight. Anyone interviewing with me tomorrow?

SO FOR THOSE WITH EXPERIENCE PLEASE HELP: I plan on renting a car on Nov. 4th in Kansas city and drive up to school (google map puts it at a 3 hr and 30 min drive). Everything is fine but for the departure the flight takes off at 07:11 pm on Nov 4th, I figured based on the schools online planner we are done by 2:30 pm. So if I drive down right after to KC I should be there by 6:00 PM and thats perfect. HOWEVER, I live in Los Angeles so Traffic here is a nightmare no matter what time of the day it is! Will I have any problems on my drive back to KC, I just want to make sure I make it back on Time. ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED!

When I called a lady in the admissions office said we could leave as early as 1:30 if we needed to get on the road. If you're using Kansas City International Airport, it's way on the outskirts of the north side of the city, so I'm assuming you'll be fine.

When I called a lady in the admissions office said we could leave as early as 1:30 if we needed to get on the road. If you're using Kansas City International Airport, it's way on the outskirts of the north side of the city, so I'm assuming you'll be fine.

excellent, that sounds great! thank you!

So I've tried to find other members who are interviewing with me and have come up short. Anybody else scheduled to interview Oct 8? I think it would be quite the experience if I were the only candidate to interview on that date :p

So I've tried to find other members who are interviewing with me and have come up short. Anybody else scheduled to interview Oct 8? I think it would be quite the experience if I were the only candidate to interview on that date :p

I can guarantee you won't be the only one there.:ninja:

So, I strolled in the front door of the Tinning Education building this morning wearing jeans, t-shirt and sandals not realizing that interviews started today. Did I ever feel out of place with everyone looking sharp! It is hard to believe that it has been a year since I interviewed. . .I hope you guys and girls did awesome! It really is a great school and good little town, and hopefully you got that impression =)

i recommend the drive from KC, or st louis, depending on where youre coming from. The cape air is a big hassle, and who doesnt like a little road trip? by the way google maps is incorrect (or calibrated to my grandmothers style of driving) on the time; when I did my interview last year I made it to the KC airport in well under 3 hours. If you have flights leaving KC as early as 5:30pm you should be fine because the second half of the day is pretty much optional.

And I concur with ddiaz (houdini), this school is freakin amazing

Got that interview invite today too! Scheduled for 11/22 to give me some time to recover financially from the last two.

I just scheduled for this day as well. I look forward to meeting you.

To ppl who are just getting the interviews, when were you sent the complete email?

I've had my supplemental submitted on sept 22nd with evaluations and everything submitted a week before that and i still have not had the complete mail yet? I emailed admissions and they said they are not missing anythign and will let me know once I am complete.

How long after the complete mail did you guys get the invite? This school has been on my top3 list before i applied and would love to have an invite :)
congrats to others who have an invite or an acceptance already :thumbup: