ATSU/KCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted at KCOM Class of 2015

Congratulation megathunder. When was your interview? How did they inform you about the acceptance? call? email?

Members don't see this ad.

Just accepted KCOM c/o 2015!

Megathunder, did u interview on 10/4?

Accepted KCOM class of 2015

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
To ppl who are just getting the interviews, when were you sent the complete email?

I've had my supplemental submitted on sept 22nd with evaluations and everything submitted a week before that and i still have not had the complete mail yet? I emailed admissions and they said they are not missing anythign and will let me know once I am complete.

How long after the complete mail did you guys get the invite? This school has been on my top3 list before i applied and would love to have an invite :)
congrats to others who have an invite or an acceptance already :thumbup:

I was complete Sept 6th and got the invite last week so expect to hear back between 4-6 weeks after your completion date

Complete Sept 20th, but so far heard nothing. Only been 3 weeks, i suppose. Hopefully my stats arent too low (3.1 and 30 MCAT). For those of you who got interviews, what are your stats like if you dont mind me asking??? Thanks

Complete Sept 20th, but so far heard nothing. Only been 3 weeks, i suppose. Hopefully my stats arent too low (3.1 and 30 MCAT). For those of you who got interviews, what are your stats like if you dont mind me asking??? Thanks

3.6 and 28Q, your MCAT is pretty strong

Wow you guys have killer GPAs. hmmm well thats not very encouraging lol

Thanks for sharing though

wow... those stats are def better than mine... i interviewed last friday and i have a 3.399 gpa (I'm not sure if they truncate or round up :p) but my mcat was 28. I'm also coming from a diverse background (Filipino born, raised in Saudi Arabia on a military hospital compound, international schools, tiny liberal arts college in the middle of nowhere midwest, now living in california).

I was complete in early august, I think the first week actually, and got an invite on August 29th I think. I have a strong suspicion that letters and ECs play a significant part as well. I am not trying to imply that you have subpar letters and ECs, but I wouldn't worry with your stats. I'm sure you are in line to get an invite of your own.

The school is absolutely awesome btw, definitely my top choice.:xf:

I just scheduled for this day as well. I look forward to meeting you.

so i can't believe i missed this post, otherwise i would have tried to find you during the interview... which interviewee were you?

Members don't see this ad :)
so i can't believe i missed this post, otherwise i would have tried to find you during the interview... which interviewee were you?

We talked for a while. I am Ryan. I had a gray suit and semi-spikey hair.

Accepted to KCOM and AZCOM for class of 2015. Between AZCOM and KCOM, I'm going to have to rate KCOM as the better school.

AZCOM class size is 250 while KCOM is set to 170. It makes AZCOM look like a DO factory. Plus KCOM is the cheaper option. Felt at home at KCOM. I'm canceling the rest of my DO interviews. Still interviewing in Texas though.

Btw I interviewed Oct 4th. I was the guy from Texas. They called me Oct 6th to let me know of my acceptance. (Which was very fast. I did not expect this)

3.7 aacomas GPA, 29 MCAT. Currently in a 1yr SMP.

Good luck to everyone else. :thumbup:

Even though the Texas schools are much cheaper, I'm really feeling a connection with KCOM. (call me weird) I might just end up going here.

Last edited:
We talked for a while. I am Ryan. I had a gray suit and semi-spikey hair.

Ryan... crap, i feel terrible :confused: I don't remember. What did we talk about? I remember talking to like three people with gray suits, except I remember the other guy was super interested about the army and he had a black shirt and gray tie... were you the one that went with me to get our white coat sizes?

Ryan... crap, i feel terrible :confused: I don't remember. What did we talk about? I remember talking to like three people with gray suits, except I remember the other guy was super interested about the army and he had a black shirt and gray tie... were you the one that went with me to get our white coat sizes?

No, that wasn't me. We didn't talk about anything substantive. I was sitting in the lobby area when you received your good news that day. We met several different people that day, so it's completely understandable that you don't remember me.

Just received my first interview invite!!! They received my secondary on 10/5 so I am very very shocked about the fast turnaround. I wasn't expecting to hear anything for another 4 weeks, really can't believe it. I looked at the available interview dates, earliest is 10/22 which is pretty early, none in november, but more in early december. I'm not sure which would be the best decision since I would like to take time to be well prepared, being it's my first interview.

Last edited:
Just received my first interview invite!!! They received my secondary on 10/5 so I am very very shocked about the fast turnaround. I wasn't expecting to hear anything for another 4 weeks, really can't believe it. I looked at the available interview dates, earliest is 10/22 which is pretty early, none in november, but more in early december. I'm not sure which would be the best decision since I would like to take time to be well prepared, being it's my first interview.

Early is Better! As someone who interviewed last Friday, (10/8) take the 10/22 slot. The interviews are very laid back and very conversational, sure they will throw in some standard questions, but a lot of it is mostly from your file and about you in general. The best prep you can do is to just be familiar with your file, know the answers to some high yield questions, and then relaxing and being yourself. (Well OK, the best prep, personally, was me hanging out with some student ambassadors the night before :p)

Does the orientation require formal dressing? I know they mention to wear comfortable shoes but is it cool to wear complete casual?

Assmosis you said you submitted your secondary on 10/5 which is a week ago? That is a super fast turnaround! Did you even get a "complete" email? I submitted mine on September 28th, but I'm still waiting...

Does the orientation require formal dressing? I know they mention to wear comfortable shoes but is it cool to wear complete casual?

Suit and tie. You can bring an extra pair of shoes for the tour, but it was not that bad of a walk. I would not wear casual attire as it is an interview for a professional school.

For the life of me i cannot figure out what address we need to send letters of recommendation to. Anyone know?

Accepted to KCOM and AZCOM for class of 2015. Between AZCOM and KCOM, I'm going to have to rate KCOM as the better school.

AZCOM class size is 250 while KCOM is set to 170. It makes AZCOM look like a DO factory. Plus KCOM is the cheaper option. Felt at home at KCOM. I'm canceling the rest of my DO interviews. Still interviewing in Texas though.

Btw I interviewed Oct 4th. I was the guy from Texas. They called me Oct 6th to let me know of my acceptance. (Which was very fast. I did not expect this)

3.7 aacomas GPA, 29 MCAT. Currently in a 1yr SMP.

Good luck to everyone else. :thumbup:

Even though the Texas schools are much cheaper, I'm really feeling a connection with KCOM. (call me weird) I might just end up going here.

I noticed on your MDApps profile that you just got your citizenship. Congrats! I'm kinda on the same path as you except I'm still pending AOS (Filipino, grew up in Saudi Arabia, undergrad in the middle of nowhere Indiana:).) I did already get one acceptance so I'm super excited, and I'm eagerly eagerly waiting for the KCOM phone call tomorrow:xf: Anyway, where are you originally from/what three countries did you live before here?

so KCOM just called my phone 5 minutes ago... when i went to pick up... my iphone restarted... fml right?... so I tried to call back, but apparently all the numbers go through one main number... I was so hesitant to call Andrea O'Brien's main line (the admissions rep), who mentioned in my interview with her that I would get a call from her with their decision, but I did so anyway... no answer... I was starting to feel pretty ticked off until my phone rang again... a two minute speechless, dumbfounded, incoherent conversation later...

I'M IN! :D:love:

so KCOM just called my phone 5 minutes ago... when i went to pick up... my iphone restarted... fml right?... so I tried to call back, but apparently all the numbers go through one main number... I was so hesitant to call Andrea O'Brien's main line (the admissions rep), who mentioned in my interview with her that I would get a call from her with their decision, but I did so anyway... no answer... I was starting to feel pretty ticked off until my phone rang again... a two minute speechless, dumbfounded, incoherent conversation later...

Congrats bautile, may I ask when you had your interview?

Congrats bautile, may I ask when you had your interview?

Last friday, so 10/8... they told us thursday at the earliest... but believe me, the last thing I'm doing is complaining about being one day early

Assmosis you said you submitted your secondary on 10/5 which is a week ago? That is a super fast turnaround! Did you even get a "complete" email? I submitted mine on September 28th, but I'm still waiting...

Yeah, I was really surprised. I was going to contact admissions just to confirm. I never got the complete e-mail either. I scheduled the interview for 12/6 so hopefully I'll be seeing another sdn member.

Last friday, so 10/8... they told us thursday at the earliest... but believe me, the last thing I'm doing is complaining about being one day early

I saw the missed call from a 660 number and started to get pretty excited. I was also surprised how quickly they let us know. Feels good to get early acceptance!

Congrats bautile!!!

I have lived in India, Australia, and the U.S. Really makes for an easy way to answer the "tell me about yourself" question. :laugh:

Accepted!!! That phone call absolutely made my day. I really look forward to meeting everyone else.

Hi! I am a current second year student at ATSU-KCOM. I'm sure I've seen a few of you while you've been on campus interviewing, and might meet a few of you who elect to stay with a student ambassador. I was just going to let you know if you have any questions about interview day, the school, or Kirksville, feel free to send them my way!

I stayed with a student ambassador, Jesse L. Did I meet you by any chance? I was there during your golf wellness day:laugh:

Hi! I am a current second year student at ATSU-KCOM. I'm sure I've seen a few of you while you've been on campus interviewing, and might meet a few of you who elect to stay with a student ambassador. I was just going to let you know if you have any questions about interview day, the school, or Kirksville, feel free to send them my way!

Hey group,

I just got my acceptance to KCOM Class of 2015. So awesome right there. It's good to see so many people excited! I went to Truman State (Which is also in Kirksville) so I know the town pretty well if anyone has questions about what is there and (the longer list) what isn't there. Also, I would love to chat with any HPSP students, so feel free to PM.

Congrats to all the acceptances. By the way, what has everyone thought of gross anatomy thus far. It is kind of fun seeing you all come in dressed up and look around.

Congrats to all the acceptances. By the way, what has everyone thought of gross anatomy thus far. It is kind of fun seeing you all come in dressed up and look around.

I thought it was great. I saddled up beside a group that just started putting organs in my hands. I'd never held a man's heart before.

I applied to KCOM. I am curious to know if there is a slight chance that I might receive an interview. I have a 30R on the MCAT with an overall gpa of 3.21 and a science gpa of 3.04. I did get a 4.0 while obtaining my Masters in Public Health. Do you think I might recieve an interview from the school ?

Hey group,

I just got my acceptance to KCOM Class of 2015. So awesome right there. It's good to see so many people excited! I went to Truman State (Which is also in Kirksville) so I know the town pretty well if anyone has questions about what is there and (the longer list) what isn't there. Also, I would love to chat with any HPSP students, so feel free to PM.

Congratulations!!! If I may ask, when was your interview??

For those were rejected how did they contact you? Snail Mail? Also for those who got interviews how did they contact you? Email?

Thanks. Just curious

I applied to KCOM. I am curious to know if there is a slight chance that I might receive an interview. I have a 30R on the MCAT with an overall gpa of 3.21 and a science gpa of 3.04. I did get a 4.0 while obtaining my Masters in Public Health. Do you think I might recieve an interview from the school ?

Your mcat is better than but gpa is lower than what I had. I applied early and interviewed last week and got acceptance a couple days ago. I think you should have a shot but I would recommend calling them and asking where you stand.

If anyone was here today (10/15) for an interview, I gave the OTM Demo! If you have any feedback for me I would greatly appreciate it :).

I stayed with a student ambassador, Jesse L. Did I meet you by any chance? I was there during your golf wellness day:laugh:

I did not meet any interviewees on Wellness Day. I fled Kirksville to go home and visit my family :).

hey y'all,
did anyone bring a guest with them to the interview? I'm bringing my mom with me, and I'm super curious how many other prospective students brought guests with them, and whether or not the experience was positive for the guest.

hey y'all,
did anyone bring a guest with them to the interview? I'm bringing my mom with me, and I'm super curious how many other prospective students brought guests with them, and whether or not the experience was positive for the guest.

The day I interviewed, there were 2 spouses and one set of parents, and the way everyone acted, it was pretty enjoyable and informative for them. They received different lectures while the applicants interviewed. Sorry I can't be any more help, but I didn't have a guest.

Hey everyone,

I’m new to SDN but am interviewing at ATSU on Oct. 25th and can’t wait! Hope to see some of you there :D

Hey all!

First, congrats to those accepted and those pending interviews!

I have a couple questions about the 2ndary, if any of you might be able to help. I haven't seen the answer on here, so I apologize if I missed the answer in this thread or elsewhere.

1. Does a DO letter really matter? If I only have MD, is that going to hurt me?

2. Standardized test scores...if I can only recall the total score, not the section scores, do they care? (I took the ACT & SAT in like 1998...and quickly brain-dumped that info after going to college)

Thanks! And good luck! :)