ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take you to get the secondary? I'm coming up on 2 weeks since I got verified, and still nothing. Nothing from UNECOM either.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take you to get the secondary? I'm coming up on 2 weeks since I got verified, and still nothing. Nothing from UNECOM either.

My app was mailed almost three weeks ago and I still haven't heard from KCOM as well. I got the e-mail from UNECOM sometime last week about not having my MCAT yet so maybe you will hear from them soon.

I've been complete there for about 3 weeks, and have not heard a thing. I did talk to a couple of people that have gotten interviews, and it took about a month after their files were complete.

My file has been complete now for almost 2 months. Every time I call the sec'y says "it's under review - that's all I can tell you"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

No idea. I just got a letter in the mail today :(

Oh well. I'm putting my money on my two interviews. SOMEONE has to take me.

(pretty please?)

Oh well you got interviews at CCOM and DMU. I envy you. In other words you are still lookin' Good. ;)

Just got KCOM's secondary this morning!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, because they're so heavy in-state, I didn't bother. The only school I applied to that apparently has a big in-state preference is NSU.

Doesn't UMDNJ just have their secondary on the website, and they just want you to download it and fill it out and send it in? Or do they want you to wait until they ask for it?

Doesn't UMDNJ just have their secondary on the website, and they just want you to download it and fill it out and send it in? Or do they want you to wait until they ask for it?

Well it is on their website but I believe someone said they prefer if you wait for them to request it before you actually send it in.

Call and ask. The earlier you get this crap done, the better.

Aaaaaaaaaand, I'm on hold. Unbelievable.
I recieved the letter as well, I am on hold. I think that means "a polite rejection". Oh well, hope your other interviews go well.

How long did it take KCOM to receive the MCAT score from AACOMAS? Mine was sent on Monday but still it says it hasn't been received :(.

Still haven't heard back from them, maybe I'll get something in the mail this week....

The only thing that confuses me is the Date of the most recent MCAT, ya definitely didn't take it on that day at all (maybe that's when they received scores...who knows :confused:)

Secondary Application:
Received on 7/20/2007
Evaluation I:
Received on 7/21/2007
Evaluation II:
Received on 7/21/2007
Date Most Recent MCAT Taken:
Received on 6/24/2007
Payment:
Received on 7/20/2007

I have an interview at KCOM in early November. How is everyone getting to this school???? It seems there is no direct way to get to Kirksville at all!!!! There is a small airport in Kirskville, it seems, but flying in to that costs $500 whereas flying into KC is only $100. So I may be flying in to KC and driving the 3 hrs (!!!!!) to Kirksville. Anyone have a better idea? I need to buy my ticket soon and I don't know which route I should go.

I got the AACOMAS fee waiver and I know that KCUMB will waive the secondary. On the KCOM supplemental you can either check AACOMAS fee waiver or check or credit card. So does that mean I assume that because I got the waiver I will not be paying the secondary fee? I know this sounds like a stupid question but I hadn't read anything about KCOM doing this.

I have an interview at KCOM in early November. How is everyone getting to this school???? It seems there is no direct way to get to Kirksville at all!!!! There is a small airport in Kirskville, it seems, but flying in to that costs $500 whereas flying into KC is only $100. So I may be flying in to KC and driving the 3 hrs (!!!!!) to Kirksville. Anyone have a better idea? I need to buy my ticket soon and I don't know which route I should go.

I flew into Kansas City the night before for my interview at KCOM. I rented a car and drove to Kville and stayed at the Comfort Inn. They had a good breakfast and a map to get to the school.
Worked out great for me!
Good Luck!

I am taking the Amtrak train from chicago. There is an Amtrak station(La Plata) about 15 minutes from KCOM according to their website. Now I guess I will take a cab from there to a hotel, I don't know yet. You just reminded me I have a little more planning to do.

I'm going to be driving to KCOM which is only a five hr drive and I love road trips. I absolutely hate flying but I will be flying to Bradenton. I was planning on driving there too but time became too much of a factor as it is a 20+ hr drive. I will also be driving to DCOM which is about a 15 hr drive. I've heard that Tennessee is beautiful so I'm really excited about that.

what exactly is being put "on hold" mean? is it really a polite rejection? my first MCAT score was pretty low, I just re-took it and am still waiting for my score. Is it perhaps "on hold" pending my second score?

Thanks for the help!!

what exactly is being put "on hold" mean? is it really a polite rejection? my first MCAT score was pretty low, I just re-took it and am still waiting for my score. Is it perhaps "on hold" pending my second score?

Thanks for the help!!

I guess that is the time when the adult contemporary music plays softly in the background as you axiously await someone to return to the line to help you out...
How low is "pretty low" for you MCAT? What about your GPA?

YESSSSS!!!! I'm finally complete at KCOM. I would so go here, but my only concern is how I would adjust to the rural atmosphere as I have always been a big city person. :confused:

My only concern about KCOM is the two one-hour interviews. For some reason I feel like in that amount of time I could dig myself a hole and get buried in it.

I don't know how rural kirksville is. I have a client from St. Louis, and she says that Kirksville is basically just a suburb of St. Louis

I don't know how rural kirksville is. I have a client from St. Louis, and she says that Kirksville is basically just a suburb of St. Louis

I'm pretty sure Kirksville is quite a bit farther north than St. Louis. I could be wrong but I definitely do not think of Kirksville as a suburb.

I wouldn't call it a suburb...it is a 214 mile drive, north and west, from St. Louis. It also has a 2000 Census count of 16,988. I currently live in East Lansing, Mi and it's population is ~46,000. So call it what you want, I would consider it rather rural!

Maybe she had it confused with another place then.

YESSSSS!!!! I'm finally complete at KCOM. I would so go here, but my only concern is how I would adjust to the rural atmosphere as I have always been a big city person. :confused:

You really won't have time to deal with the change because of how much studying you will be doing. The town is rural. The Super Walmart was the talk of the town until a Home Depot opened up here last summer. Remember, you are only here for two years. It will fly by!

You really won't have time to deal with the change because of how much studying you will be doing. The town is rural. The Super Walmart was the talk of the town until a Home Depot opened up here last summer. Remember, you are only here for two years. It will fly by!

You only have to do two years at KCOM? Does this mean you can choose clinical sites? If so, can they be anywhere in the US?

Never mind, I just found it. AZ, FL, IN, MI, MO, NJ, OH, and UT

Okay, so now I have an interview at KCOM. I have a "likely" interview invite at KCUMB, and I think I've got a shot at Des Moines too, so I'm going to try and turn it all into one trip if I can. I'll wait until the end of the week and then call up both those schools and see if I can squeeze an invite out of them.

Never mind, I just found it. AZ, FL, IN, MI, MO, NJ, OH, and UT

Switch the IN with IA and you will be more accurate (I don't know what the website says, but trust me this is what it is). AZ, MO and MI have the most spots by far

Anybody interviewing on Mon?

Does anyone else find it difficult to learn anything about the school from the website?

I just got an interview at KCOM, and I am looking forward to it. However, I am having trouble getting much info on the school from their website. I had a view book that they sent me, but I moved recently, and everything is packed up.

So people who go there now/did go there/have been there for an interview... what do you think? Positives? Negatives?

I know its in a small town. I don't really care about that. I have lived in big cities and small towns, and as far as med school goes, it really doesn't matter to me. So what's the lowdown?

I asked this on another post and got no reply, so here it goes again. For those of you that are interviewing where are you flying into if you are flying? I just don't know where would be cheapest and easiest to drive from, I'm coming from Colorado, I've found relatively similar rates to all the big cities so the real question is which would have the easiest drive? Thanks for you help, PM me your thoughts!!

I asked this on another post and got no reply, so here it goes again. For those of you that are interviewing where are you flying into if you are flying? I just don't know where would be cheapest and easiest to drive from, I'm coming from Colorado, I've found relatively similar rates to all the big cities so the real question is which would have the easiest drive? Thanks for you help, PM me your thoughts!!

I think your two best options would either be to fly into Kansas City, MO or St. Louis, MO. According to Mapquest it's 5miles longer of a trip if you fly into Kansas City. It appears that if you drive from St. Louis it'll be slightly more straight forward and on more major highways?? Best of luck. I just received an interview invite from KCOM and I'll be flying into St. Louis b/c I have family there and then driving up to Kirksville.

You could also look at riding Amtrak train from either St. Louis or Kansas City, but this could be time consuming - it just depends on how you want to travel.

I wouldn't call it a suburb...it is a 214 mile drive, north and west, from St. Louis. It also has a 2000 Census count of 16,988. I currently live in East Lansing, Mi and it's population is ~46,000. So call it what you want, I would consider it rather rural!

HAHAHAHAH. WOW. My ENTIRE town I grew up in had 1600 people. My highschool graduating class was the largest in decades at 48. Due to this, I have seen ALOT at the hospital though. :thumbup:

HAHAHAHAH. WOW. My ENTIRE town I grew up in had 1600 people. My highschool graduating class was the largest in decades at 48. Due to this, I have seen ALOT at the hospital though. :thumbup:

I know how that goes my town was maybe 100, we graduated with 18. But I wanna come back and work in this type of area so I think that is plus for alot of the schools!