ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new thread. Discuss away!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm excited for this school and am anxiously awaiting a secondary. My primaries were released 6/9, but I suppose I should wade thru the thread from last year to see what the time line looks like. Any info on this school would be great. Thanks!

I'm excited for this school and am anxiously awaiting a secondary. My primaries were released 6/9, but I suppose I should wade thru the thread from last year to see what the time line looks like. Any info on this school would be great. Thanks!

Secondaries started trickling out around June 18 last year.
Secondary questions were 1) What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM and 2) What specific exposure/ experience have you had with osteopathic medicine and why has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Both 500 words or less).
I think first interview invites went out mid-August with first interview dates in early October.

just a little info to start with :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the secondaries are the same every year? And if not, has anyone gotten the questions for this year yet?

Just received the secondary application :)

I received the secondary application today.

I've never heard of these "evaluations" until now...

"Evaluation forms are available and may be downloaded from the secondary application site. We encourage you to provide these forms to evaluators but they are not required. Evaluation packets from undergraduate/graduate institutions or letters of evaluation/recommendation must be submitted on official letterhead if the forms are not used. The evaluation forms do provide valuable information that sometimes may not be included in a letter. All evaluations should be provided to us directly by the evaluators."

I'm not going to give my letter writers this evaluation form because they've already written them! I wonder if it'll hurt my chances in the slightest bit.

2 essay questions...

What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

There is also a section just for your clinical experiences.

I received the secondary application today.

"Evaluation forms are available and may be downloaded from the secondary application site. We encourage you to provide these forms to evaluators but they are not required. Evaluation packets from undergraduate/graduate institutions or letters of evaluation/recommendation must be submitted on official letterhead if the forms are not used. The evaluation forms do provide valuable information that sometimes may not be included in a letter. All evaluations should be provided to us directly by the evaluators."

I'm not going to give my letter writers this evaluation form because they've already written them! I wonder if it'll hurt my chances in the slightest bit.

Yes...why can't they be more like NSU.
The secondary app page make it sound like those evaluation forms are mandatory and I would assume they would help the candidate. However, my DO physician I shadowed is 2hrs drive from me and it's such a hassle to drive all the way there just to drop off the evaluation form (there's a postal office strike going on so mailing it may take forever).
Is this evaluation form new this year?
I also don't want to bother my profs more than I need to.
I'm gonna put the KCOM secondary on hold for now

got my secondary today too. do you guys know if we can send more than the two required recommendations letters. I have one committee, two physician (D.O. and M.D.) and two faculty ones.

Yes...why can't they be more like NSU.
The secondary app page make it sound like those evaluation forms are mandatory and I would assume they would help the candidate. However, my DO physician I shadowed is 2hrs drive from me and it's such a hassle to drive all the way there just to drop off the evaluation form (there's a postal office strike going on so mailing it may take forever).
Is this evaluation form new this year?
I also don't want to bother my profs more than I need to.
I'm gonna put the KCOM secondary on hold for now

Hoping the postal strike ends next week!!

I feel the same way as you. I do not imagine it will decrease your chances if you have good letters from a DO and professors.

Got the secondary invite today.

I didn't think the evaluations sounded mandatory. Yes, it did say that the evaluations might address things that a letter does not, but if your letters are strong then I doubt this would be an issue. It is probably more to guide the person doing the reference to avoid really generic LORs that tell the adcom nothing about you.

I am not using them. I am not worried that it will hurt me. If it was mandatory, they would have said so.

Got the secondary invite today.

I didn't think the evaluations sounded mandatory. Yes, it did say that the evaluations might address things that a letter does not, but if your letters are strong then I doubt this would be an issue. It is probably more to guide the person doing the reference to avoid really generic LORs that tell the adcom nothing about you.

I am not using them. I am not worried that it will hurt me. If it was mandatory, they would have said so.

Agreed.

I have to admit I laughed when I saw they wanted ACT/SAT scores. Oh well. Its all a means to an end right??

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious if we don't use these evals, I assume we still need to enter the info for the letter writers? Also, do they have an address on the eval form so we can have interfolio send the letters to them?

OMS III here...just letting you guys know that there are a good handful of current students that lurk on these threads so don't be shy about questions or concerns.

Are you guys copying and pasting your clinical experience descriptions from your AACOMAS application, or are you writing new things?

I don't think I can describe my experiences any better than how I did in the primary app...

Are you guys copying and pasting your clinical experience descriptions from your AACOMAS application, or are you writing new things?

I don't think I can describe my experiences any better than how I did in the primary app...

I didn't. For the most part they were very similar but tailored a little to highlight clinical experiences and things I learned which correspond with values of KCOM.

With the letters of recommendation I wonder how anal they will be about getting the top two portions of that form filled out (referring to evaluator information section). My letters are already written, signed and submitted on interfolio. I really don't want to have to go 3 hours to get a signature if I don't have to...

With the letters of recommendation I wonder how anal they will be about getting the top two portions of that form filled out (referring to evaluator information section). My letters are already written, signed and submitted on interfolio. I really don't want to have to go 3 hours to get a signature if I don't have to...

"We encourage you to provide these forms to evaluators but they are not required. Evaluation packets from undergraduate/graduate institutions or letters of evaluation/recommendation must be submitted on official letterhead if the forms are not used."

I think you'll be fine if your letters are on letterhead. Going 3 hours to get a signature would be ridiculous!

I'm more worried about my AACOMAS ID not being used in my DO letter since that one is already signed and sealed in an envelope.

Can you put the AACOMAS ID on the envelope and put it inside another envelope? Or address it to the school c/o your AACOMAS ID?

Got my secondary, too! Very excited!

Last edited:
E-mail. It has the same secondary q's as last year (which I'm sure you saw from above) and a section on clinical experiences. Other than that it doesn't take long at all.

Thanks for the response. I posted that before I checked my e-mail, so I have since edited (genius move... lol). :idea:

Ok, so just talked to kirksville admissions and they said if your letters of recommendation are uploaded on interfolio that you need no other forms, info or signatures as this process has already been completed when they uploaded the letters.

Ok, so just talked to kirksville admissions and they said if your letters of recommendation are uploaded on interfolio that you need no other forms, info or signatures as this process has already been completed when they uploaded the letters.

Thanks!! That answers a question that I had for them!

Awesome, thanks doingit9!

For those who have completed the secondary, are your letters (evaluations) shown as received? I'm a school letter packet, but my letters haven't been marked as received...

Hi everyone. I'm a little confused by the first question of the secondary "What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?" I noticed in some secondaries asked for why you want to attend their institution. So should this question read: what particularly qualities do you bring to KCOM that match our mission/philosophy? I tried looking on their website, but nothing really stands out...except the repeated fact that KCOM is the founding DO school and that Kirkville is a small town and cost of living is very affordable.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I'm a little confused by the first question of the secondary “What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?” I noticed in some secondaries asked for why you want to attend their institution. So should this question read: what particularly qualities do you bring to KCOM that match our mission/philosophy? I tried looking on their website, but nothing really stands out...except the repeated fact that KCOM is the founding DO school and that Kirkville is a small town and cost of living is very affordable.

Thoughts?

Last year I just answered it by saying some good qualities that I have and how they would contribute to the class. I think I also included some examples as well. You don't have to make this essay specific to KCOM

Good luck on your app

That's great to know. Thanks for the fast reply. Can you tell us how KCOM is different than the other schools in its mission/approach to teaching? I've read good things about its learning environment and affordable cost of living..is there anything else?

Thanks!

Last year I just answered it by saying some good qualities that I have and how they would contribute to the class. I think I also included some examples as well. You don't have to make this essay specific to KCOM

Good luck on your app

That's great to know. Thanks for the fast reply. Can you tell us how KCOM is different than the other schools in its mission/approach to teaching? I've read good things about its learning environment and affordable cost of living..is there anything else?

Thanks!

I can tell you that the professors and instructors that here at kcom are the best that I have came across, and they truly care about your education. The students band together to help pull eachother through. I like to of us as a family here. As the founding school of osteopahic medicine, the school does a good job at incorporating osteopathic tenets in the ciriculum. Knowing that, what characteristics do you personally retain that will facilitate the exceptional education you will receive and the family that you may perhaps join?

Submitted my secondary just now... super excited about both SOMA and KCOM!!

Hi everyone,

I know that it only asks for two letters- one from a premed committee or sci prof. and then one from a D.O.

Do you know if we can send in more? I have been working for the past 3 years in a cancer genetics laboratory and feel an additional letter from them may be beneficial as I do not have a premed committee letter available.

Thanks and good luck!!

So I haven't filled out the secondary yet, I just looked through it, but does it only let you enter 4 clinical activities or can you add more as you fill them up?

So I haven't filled out the secondary yet, I just looked through it, but does it only let you enter 4 clinical activities or can you add more as you fill them up?

I think it is just 4. Whenever I filled up all 4 I don't remember seeing an option to add another activity/experience so I just picked best my best 4 and let it ride.

I can tell you that the professors and instructors that here at kcom are the best that I have came across, and they truly care about your education. The students band together to help pull eachother through. I like to of us as a family here. As the founding school of osteopahic medicine, the school does a good job at incorporating osteopathic tenets in the ciriculum. Knowing that, what characteristics do you personally retain that will facilitate the exceptional education you will receive and the family that you may perhaps join?

Nicely described. It really sounds like a cozy and encouraging atmosphere for learning. As for integrating osteopathic philosophies into the curriculum, KCOM is definitely experienced!

Has anyone gotten the email with the confirmation number in it?

When I logged in it said:

Evaluation I:
Application in Process
Evaluation II:
Application in Process
Date Most Recent MCAT Taken:
Application in Process
Payment:
Application in Process

what does this mean??

Has anyone gotten the email with the confirmation number in it?

When I logged in it said:

Evaluation I:
Application in Process
Evaluation II:
Application in Process
Date Most Recent MCAT Taken:
Application in Process
Payment:
Application in Process

what does this mean??

It says this until you enter in the number they sent you in the e-mail. Once you enter in that number into the box and hit enter, all of that should disappear and be replaced with dates received or "not yet received." Hope this helps.

It says this until you enter in the number they sent you in the e-mail. Once you enter in that number into the box and hit enter, all of that should disappear and be replaced with dates received or "not yet received." Hope this helps.

Do you know about how long it takes to get that e-mail with the # (turn around time)? I'm just anxious to make progress... Thanks!

When they ask "what particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?"...how did you answer this question?

I'm not sure if I should answer it by saying qualities that will make me a good doctor, or if I should instead say what I will be like as a student.

I was bored tonight so I creeped on this page :) I am going to Western this fall but I did interview at KCOM in Feb and was wait listed. For answering that particular secondary question I just looked at some things I had put in my personal statement or hinted at and then elaborated on them in a more factual and less story-telling way. I just found mine and I believe what I did was pick out about 5 qualities and then explained how I came to be like that...for example--my patience growing after helping raise my 5 younger siblings and my humility coming from being raised in a small town with my grandparents and making many mistakes in my younger years as a college student.--thats just an overview..my answers were moderately detailed and I also shortly incorporated how each would help me in becoming a good osteopathic physician. Hope that helps a little

And as far as getting that confirmation number and checking the status...don't hold your breath, I know a few people got them if they applied super early but they just stop doing it at some point and it really does not give you any insight anyway...if you're worried your app is held up somewhere just email them. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Good luck everyone..long process but well worth it in the end :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Does shadowing count as "clinical volunteering" ???

"List verifiable volunteer clinic/health experience (for example at a community health center, IHS clinic, physician's office, hospital, or something similar)." So shadowing doesn't fall into this???

Wasn't that the question from the SOMA application?

I put shadowing in there. I thought for KCOM it said specifically to include shadowing. Didn't it ask for clinical experiences (not specifically volunteer stuff)?

I did put shadowing on my SOMA app even though they didn't really want it. I was clear that it was shadowing, I know it's not volunteer but some of the patient populations I saw while shadowing I wanted to tie into my essays for the school. Already turned it in so I can't go back to change that one.