ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard that the admission committee meets on every Wednesday. Does this mean that they call people for acceptances on every Wednesday?

Not sure if it's coincidence, but I got called on a Wednesday

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if it's coincidence, but I got called on a Wednesday
Yes from what they told me at my interview its either Wednesday or Thursday... I got my call on Wednesday

Put in my deposit last night and sending off the acceptance agreement today :D so last minute..

If everything works out, I'll be seeing the rest of you all in the fall!

If anyone wants to know why I chose KCOM over DMU and WesternU, let me know. I'm at work right now so can't be on for too long :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Put in my deposit last night and sending off the acceptance agreement today :D so last minute..

If everything works out, I'll be seeing the rest of you all in the fall!

If anyone wants to know why I chose KCOM over DMU and WesternU, let me know. I'm at work right now so can't be on for too long :p
Ha that is last minute!!

How long does it usually take to hear back post-interview?

One week for me also...they said they usually make decisions in 1-3 weeks.

It took 3 weeks to get my acceptance packet.

Last edited:
One week for me also...they said they usually make decisions in 1-3 weeks.

It took 3 weeks to get my acceptance packet.

Should I contact the admission office to check my status post-interview or just wait in peace? I interviewed on Dec. 8th.

Should I contact the admission office to check my status post-interview or just wait in peace? I interviewed on Dec. 8th.

Probably wait in peace, for now. Someone who interviewed with me didn't get the call for 3 weeks.

Probably wait in peace, for now. Someone who interviewed with me didn't get the call for 3 weeks.

I just received the acceptance call!! It took exactly a week to hear back. I have already decided to come here and study next Fall during my interview visit.

Hard-work really pays off at the end! :D

I just received the acceptance call!! It took exactly a week to hear back. I have already decided to come here and study next Fall during my interview visit.

Congrats! May I ask your stats? They emailed me and asked me for my fall quarter grades in order to make a decision about whether I reactive an II almost a month ago and I have still yet to hear a peep from them....I'm starting to lose hope :(

Congrats! May I ask your stats? They emailed me and asked me for my fall quarter grades in order to make a decision about whether I reactive an II almost a month ago and I have still yet to hear a peep from them....I'm starting to lose hope :(

My stats were: cGPA 3.93 and sGPA 3.95 with MCAT 26Q. I am still finishing off my undergrad and graduating next May. I did a fair amount of research work and clinical work at the hospital since high school.

Don't lose your hope yet! Maybe after you let them know your grades, they will let you know what the next step is. I heard that the class will be close to 1/2 filled before next year starts. So, you have an ample time to still get an interview. No worry and chin up!

My stats were: cGPA 3.93 and sGPA 3.95 with MCAT 26Q. I am still finishing off my undergrad and graduating next May. I did a fair amount of research work and clinical work at the hospital since high school.

Don't lose your hope yet! Maybe after you let them know your grades, they will let you know what the next step is. I heard that the class will be close to 1/2 filled before next year starts. So, you have an ample time to still get an interview. No worry and chin up!

Thanks for sharing - and I appreciate your encouraging words! I'll try to stay positive :)

Members don't see this ad :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Congrats!

Thanks! I will see you next Fall! I am waiting for the packet to be arrived. What kinds of information are in there other than deposit info?

meh...nothing special. Just a matriculation agreement, technical standards, other random info. We probably won't hear much more until February-ish

Hey everyone! I received my acceptance for KCOM last Wednesday and am super excited! Not quite sure if I will be attending yet or not, but thus far, this is my only acceptance. Does anyone have any insight to how the rotations will work? We are only in Kirksville for the first two years and then we are at a set rotation spot for two years, or do we rotate through multiple locations? Any info would be helpful!

Does anyone have any insight to how the rotations will work? We are only in Kirksville for the first two years and then we are at a set rotation spot for two years, or do we rotate through multiple locations? Any info would be helpful!

My understanding is that we are assigned one location for two years. Maybe you rotate through different hospitals in that location? Or maybe you stay at one hospital for two years? I'm not clear on the details. With that said, you won't necessarily have to leave Kirksville as some of the students rotate at the hospital on campus.

What schools are you waiting to hear back from/what's your top choice school?

Is it necessary to send the Fall semester grade with the official transcript? Or, should I just wait till the Spring semester is over and send a final official transcript? Since I am accepted, I think I just need to send a final transcript after my graduation. By the way, I am graduating next May and I will see some of you here next Fall!

Is it necessary to send the Fall semester grade with the official transcript? Or, should I just wait till the Spring semester is over and send a final official transcript? Since I am accepted, I think I just need to send a final transcript after my graduation. By the way, I am graduating next May and I will see some of you here next Fall!

I am pretty sure that the official transcript they are requesting needs to include final grades from all classes you have taken or plan to take next semester from all institutions you have attended. so yes I would wait to send it in or at least call them so you dont wast your money ordering official transcripts.

Just wait until prompted by the school to send anything in... Just take this time to relax.

I was called this morning. Accepted.
Interview Friday, Dec 16

Undergrad 3.2
Grad 3.87
MCAT 31Q

Music Ed undergrad ->Teacher -> Masters in Chem

Congratulations!! what a great present for the Holidays!!!

I just got a call today informing me I was accepted. I interviewed on 12/19, so they were really fast on the decision. They have made it hard on me, I thought I was just going to run with my DMU acceptance, but my interview experience at this school has me on the fence. Decisions...Decisions...

I just got a call today informing me I was accepted. I interviewed on 12/19, so they were really fast on the decision. They have made it hard on me, I thought I was just going to run with my DMU acceptance, but my interview experience at this school has me on the fence. Decisions...Decisions...

Not surprising. So many people seem to be in the same boat :)

Cant't go wrong either way :luck:

Congrats! I also interviewed on December 16th and was accepted.

Congrats to the new acceptees! Any of yall joining us as a member of KCOM 2016?

Cant't go wrong either way :luck:

I agree, both schools are awesome. That is why I am having trouble deciding which school to put down a deposit at. I definitely don't have the money to put the deposit down at both schools to buy more decision time...

So I'm seeing that ATSU doesn't have health insurance. Someone said in a couple-year-old thread that AMSA was a possibility. The problem with that is that they only cover up to 50,000, which is nothing if you have to be hospitalized.
Individual plans don't cover pre-existing conditions.

All ATSU has to do is host a insurance rep and they do all the work to set up a group plan. Why would ATSU not do this?

My understanding is that we are assigned one location for two years. Maybe you rotate through different hospitals in that location? Or maybe you stay at one hospital for two years? I'm not clear on the details. With that said, you won't necessarily have to leave Kirksville as some of the students rotate at the hospital on campus.

What schools are you waiting to hear back from/what's your top choice school?

Hey kids, OMS III here from KCOM. Got a week left of break so I'll be easily able to answer any Q's you have.

In regards to rotations, during your 2nd year your "match" to a rotation site somewhere in the US. Sites are available in MO, MI, IL, OH, UT, PA, NJ, AZ, and some others that I can't think of right now. You match to a specific site. It may be one hospital or it may be more preceptor base where you do your rotations at various hospitals/clinics.

I'm at a hospital site and I have done 5 rotations in my hospital, 1 at a clinic, and 1 at a nearby hospital that is also a KCOM site. During your 3rd year you do almost all of your rotations at your base site. In your 4th year you set your own schedule and only 4 of your rotations must be at your base site, the rest of the year is up to you.

Hope that helps, let me know if anyone has more questions. Happy Holidays and congrats to all on your acceptances!

Hey kids, OMS III here from KCOM. Got a week left of break so I'll be easily able to answer any Q's you have.

In regards to rotations, during your 2nd year your "match" to a rotation site somewhere in the US. Sites are available in MO, MI, IL, OH, UT, PA, NJ, AZ, and some others that I can't think of right now. You match to a specific site. It may be one hospital or it may be more preceptor base where you do your rotations at various hospitals/clinics.

I'm at a hospital site and I have done 5 rotations in my hospital, 1 at a clinic, and 1 at a nearby hospital that is also a KCOM site. During your 3rd year you do almost all of your rotations at your base site. In your 4th year you set your own schedule and only 4 of your rotations must be at your base site, the rest of the year is up to you.

Hope that helps, let me know if anyone has more questions. Happy Holidays and congrats to all on your acceptances!

Can you check my post just above?
Thanks

Last edited:
Regarding the purchasing the personal health insurance, can anyone from current OMS recommend any basic and cheep health insurance to students who don't own a personal health insurance? Thanks!

I think SOMA may offer insurance for students. I had my own so I can't really speak to what is available. I would contact Admissions or Financial Aid as they might be able to offer more suggestions.

Regarding the specific laptop KCOM requires, what kinds of laptop are they suggesting us to have? Is KCOM selling the laptops?

Regarding the specific laptop KCOM requires, what kinds of laptop are they suggesting us to have? Is KCOM selling the laptops?

I think they tell you what they want you to have in your admissions packet or they will contact you with specifics via email. Its nothing outlandish or anything. I had a 2+ year old laptop that I started school with and it was fine.

I think they tell you what they want you to have in your admissions packet or they will contact you with specifics via email. Its nothing outlandish or anything. I had a 2+ year old laptop that I started school with and it was fine.

What kind of laptop do you have? If I buy a new laptop that is out to the public these days, I will be fine for the use in med school, right? I don't think that the ATSU-KCOM sells the laptops.

I am sure that the school will email me more about the specs of the labptop that we need to have in March, but I want to buy one in advance and I want to know the specs early on.

Going in with a Macbook Pro that I bought a couple months ago...I hear KCOM is pretty Mac friendly, but I'm sure whatever computer will be just fine :thumbup:

Get something that is going to last you four years (or longer), something you are comfortable with/price friendly/serves your purpose. I think the required specs are pretty general

Last edited:
Going in with a Macbook Pro that I bought a couple months ago...I hear KCOM is pretty Mac friendly, but I'm sure whatever computer will be just fine :thumbup:

Get something that is going to last you four years (or longer), something you are comfortable with/price friendly/serves your purpose. I think the required specs are pretty general

Yup. I have seen people with Macs, PCs, and just about everything else. I had a Dell, that was running Vista and it worked fine.

I bought a MacBook Pro recently, a current student said there were a number of students who used them so I feel pretty comfortable

I bought a MacBook Pro recently, a current student said there were a number of students who used them so I feel pretty comfortable

I bought the Windows i7 processor labtop but it is not a macbook product. I am used to the Windows, so I wasn't dare to buy a macbook product. I believe every decent laptop should be fine during our school years even though KCOM mentions that there are specs that they're looking for.