ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Interview Discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above for INTERVIEW DATES ONLY!. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own. If you are looking for the general discussion thread, please check here to find the appropriate thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an interview invite to KCOM! Super excited!!! Trying to decide on which day is best to go. anyone know how many people they take each day and how fast they fill up?

Thanks!!!!

HD

I'll let you know on Tues. I have an interview Mon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll let you know on Tues. I have an interview Mon.

Thanks! I'm leaning for 1 November but am also waiting to hear from KCUMB. They (KCUMB) appear to have Wednesday interviews so I would love to do a back to back. Good luck on Monday! I'm sure i'll be asking for your feedback!

HD

Does anyone know what the interview is like? Also, I saw a stat that 70% of out of state applicants gain acceptance after an interview. Does anyone know if this is true for every year or just that year?

Just got an interview invite to KCOM! Super excited!!! Trying to decide on which day is best to go. anyone know how many people they take each day and how fast they fill up?

Thanks!!!!

HD

Way to goooooo!!!:luck:

When were you complete? How were you notified?

Way to goooooo!!!:luck:

When were you complete? How were you notified?

I was complete 9/28 and received an email late in the evening 10/3. I'm pretty excited as KCOM is on the top of my list. I signed up for the 11/1 interview and am praying to hear from KCUMB next week!

Good luck to you!

I just interviewed there this past week. I thought that the 2- one hour interview idea was crazy. But, it really follows the holistic approach of Osteopathic medicine. One hour might seem like a long time but once you are talking with the professor or Physician the time just flys right on by. I feel the one hour interviews allow your respective interviewers to really get a feel for you. It gives both of you the opportunity to see if you are a fit for the program. It really enjoyed my interview at KCOM. It was an amazing time. One of the student ambassadors did tell us that his friends got 34s and 35s on the MCAT and interviewed at KCOM and were rejected. So they are definately not after numbers. They want the right person that will succeed.

Me got an Invite... MEEEE!!! Who would have thunk it :laugh:

OOOO I am so going to love going to this one!!!!!

Supposedly, KCOM is about as good as it gets when it comes to DO schools. I'm looking forward to this one too.

Hey Texas, are you flying or driving? If flying what city are you coming into? I was looking at St.Louis, but its still 3.5 hours away. So I'm guessing I will need to rent a car.

My brother told me they show you the shed(or office, he doesn't remember) where A.T Still used to practice his DO magic...:D

A guy I know who went to Truman State tells me that the nearest commercial airport is a few hours away. I will probably fly into KC, and I thought I'd check out KCUMB while I'm there, since the admissions guy told me I'd probably get an interview.

My car is a land rover, and Austin is probably about a 15-20 hour drive from kirksville. That would cost me a fortune. Southwest will probably fly me into KC for like $150. Then rent a car.

Members don't see this ad :)
desi. How far away are you from Chicago. They have a train to Kirksville that takes about 6-7 hours (if you don't want to drive or fly).

I think I'm going to fly in to St. Louis from Detroit, Southwest has it for 120 round-trip. How long is the interview day at KCOM? I was wondering If I will have enough time to make it to an evening flight in St. Louis or just book an extra night of hotel stay. BTW is car-rental more expensive if your under 25? GRRR!!! I can't think straight right now... LOL

Jpc, Chicago is like 5-6 hours away. Thanks for the suggestion though...

Be careful where you rent your car though. Some places don't allow it. The interview day ended at 3, but you can leave earlier. The interviews are in the morning.

I'm flying directly into Kirksville, beats driving from one of the main cities.

Wow! How did you work that out, and how can I be down?:eek:

I lied, I'm stupid and didn't realize that there is a stop in Kansas City...before Kirksville....bleh

I interviewed @ KCOM on the 5th and drove in from Kansas City. It was a good two and a half hour drive but I thought it was really a pretty drive. The interview day is officially over with somewhere around 1:30-2. You can stay an extra hour and take a tour of the AT STILL museum. It's not required and nobody from admissions is even there for the tour. The most important stuff takes place before lunch. You can leave after lunch if you need to catch an early flight. Any questions, PM me.

I'm interviewing on 10/22 at ATSU/KCOM. If anyone would like to share a room (I'm a guy fwiw) to save a little moolah, drop a PM :)

I'm driving to Kirksville from Milwaukee, Wisconsin on 10/21 and will be driving back on 10/23. Check mapquest, if it's a reasonable approximation of on-the-way I'd love company!

Good luck to all!
T

Have you considered staying with a student ambassador?

I emailed the school about it a few weeks ago but have heard nothing back. It is my intention to call them on Monday as I just haven't had time.

Thanks for the idea!
:)

Anyone who has already interviewed at KCOM, mind sharing what types of questions where asked during the interview?

thanks

I had an interview on October 26th, but I had to postpone and the soonest they had was Nov 29th. :thumbdown:

I guess I will ask again, Anyone with any kind of advice for future KCOM interviewee's please help!!!!

Hi! They are really nice and really relaxed. What else do you want to know? Just pm me.

I have a quick question about the Student Host Option. I picked an interview date for November and selected the option that I would be interested in a student host. How long does it take for them to usually respond to this? I just want to know so that I can book a hotel just in case. Also, I'm flying into Kirksville, are there taxi's readily available to drive you from the airport to the hotels ? Finally, do you think the student host would pick you up from the airport if you asked nicely and if they had time? :D

They responded a week before...

I heard from him (the student ambassador to whom my info was forwarded) two days before the interview. He and his wife were incredibly kind, gracious, and welcoming. His perspective was invaluable!

I have an interview 11/15.

Also, I am from Kirksville originally and attend Truman State University in Kirksville. If anyone has any questions about the town or anything else I would be glad to help if I can.

I'm so excited to interview this week! Good luck to anyone else interviewing on the 1st or 2nd!!!

HD

Has anybody heard when the official packets are supposed to be sent? It's been since the 10th of October that I've they called, any idea of a timeline? Thanks

They said it was going to be a while until they send the packets. I am sure it will be soon though.

I'm so excited to interview this week! Good luck to anyone else interviewing on the 1st or 2nd!!!

HD

I'll probably see you there. I am interviewing on tomorrow. I am in LaPlata now. Good Luck.

I just got in from my interview. I had an excellent time, and the people were great. I swear I have met some of the nicest people in the world throughout this process. I had a great interviewers and the feedback is coming soon.

Good Luck to all waiting for results and those waiting to interview.:luck:

Mine is in 2 weeks. I'm fired up to see why this is considered to be one of the "big name" DO schools.

I just got in from my interview. I had an excellent time, and the people were great. I swear I have met some of the nicest people in the world throughout this process. I had a great interviewers and the feedback is coming soon.

Good Luck to all waiting for results and those waiting to interview.:luck:

Hey Mastamark! I didn't check this earlier, so I didn't know to be looking for you today, but I have a pretty good idea that I know who you are :)

What did you think of KCOM? I really loved it (especially compared to the other schools I have seen). I am about 98% sure that I would go here if I get accepted!

Keep me posted on where you get accepted and where you end up going!!!

HD

Hey Mastamark! I didn't check this earlier, so I didn't know to be looking for you today, but I have a pretty good idea that I know who you are :)

What did you think of KCOM? I really loved it (especially compared to the other schools I have seen). I am about 98% sure that I would go here if I get accepted!

Keep me posted on where you get accepted and where you end up going!!!

HD

It was great...My wife loved it as well. I was impressed by the environment and everyone was awesome. I met some really nice people today. Our interview group was awesome and I would love to go to school with all of you. Good Luck. We should know something next week.:smuggrin:

I think I know who you are as well, but I think there were 2 of you from Michigan so I can't be sure.

It was great...My wife loved it as well. I was impressed by the environment and everyone was awesome. I met some really nice people today. Our interview group was awesome and I would love to go to school with all of you. Good Luck. We should know something next week.:smuggrin:

I think I know who you are as well, but I think there were 2 of you from Michigan so I can't be sure.

I was the female who stayed the whole day--even through the tour of the new building...which looks AMAZING!!! The OMM room is huge and Hi-Tech and just plan sweet!

I really enjoyed chatting with your wife for a little while (on the tour of the anatomy lab and back).

Good luck!

I just got an interview offer for the 15th of November - I hadn't heard from them but I was able to reschedule my DMU interview for the 16th of November to coincide with my son's interview at Grinnell. I then emailed KCOM to see if it was possible to interview during the same trip. They just emailed to say YES!! Yahoo!

I was the female who stayed the whole day--even through the tour of the new building...which looks AMAZING!!! The OMM room is huge and Hi-Tech and just plan sweet!

I really enjoyed chatting with your wife for a little while (on the tour of the anatomy lab and back).

Good luck!

Oh yeah :) I remember now. That new OMM lab was very huge. That room was about the size of a medium/large gym.

So excited I just got an interview invite and scheduled it for Dec 7th. Anyone else going that day? And how long does it take to find out whether you are accepted/hold/rejected after your interview?

So excited I just got an interview invite and scheduled it for Dec 7th. Anyone else going that day? And how long does it take to find out whether you are accepted/hold/rejected after your interview?

Ahh you're interviewing on my Bday:smuggrin:. Good Luck on your interview :luck:.

Well Happy Birthday in advance since I'll be too busy to tell you then ;)

Can someone please let me know the best airline to fly into kirskville airport?US airlines does not fly out on the day I want. I would appreciate it.

Doc driven