ATSU/SOMA Arizona Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My secondary was complete August 9th, and I received my interview invite today!! October 8th is when I will be there.

I have a question though, does anyone feel that NOT attending the applicant social Thursday night will hurt your chances?

Reason is, My family lives in LA, and that weekend is my fall break for college. I booked tickets already to arrive thursday for the weekend until Monday. Unless I change my plane reservations, there is no way I will be able to drive from LA to Mesa and make it by 5pm thursday. So do you guys feel it's mandatory? Suggestions would be great! I am SO excited to attend my interview and I hope to see some of you there!

Members don't see this ad.

congrats to those with interviews! my secondary was finished by early july. as for the social, i don't think it'll hurt your chances, it's probably just what the name implies, a social.. a chance to get to know other applicants. I'm not going, late flight to phoenix, but it seems like a good chance to meet other people

good luck!!

My secondary was complete August 9th, and I received my interview invite today!! October 8th is when I will be there.

I have a question though, does anyone feel that NOT attending the applicant social Thursday night will hurt your chances?

Reason is, My family lives in LA, and that weekend is my fall break for college. I booked tickets already to arrive thursday for the weekend until Monday. Unless I change my plane reservations, there is no way I will be able to drive from LA to Mesa and make it by 5pm thursday. So do you guys feel it's mandatory? Suggestions would be great! I am SO excited to attend my interview and I hope to see some of you there!

october interview?? see ya there!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats to those with interviews! my secondary was finished by early july. as for the social, i don't think it'll hurt your chances, it's probably just what the name implies, a social.. a chance to get to know other applicants. I'm not going, late flight to phoenix, but it seems like a good chance to meet other people

good luck!!

The social is a new thing, we didn't have that when we came for interviews. However, I'd just remind you that when you go for a medical school interview (anywhere, not just ATSU SOMA), they are WATCHING YOU. The ENTIRE TIME. The littlest thing may set you apart and give you that yes phone call vs. the rejection letter. So if they tell you to come to a social, i'd go. Even if they aren't taking attendance (i'm not sure if they will, again we didn't have it), but it may be an extra opportunity to get a good impression across to not only the admissions committee but to current students. And considering THOUSANDS apply (~4) and only a few get acceptance offers, that extra social time may be a key factor in setting you apart from your competition. There are ONLY 107 seats. Think about it. If you can make it, definitely do it. That'd be my advice. (Plus, i hear there is free food...always a bonus).

Good luck to you all! :)

Hi everyone,

Does any one have interview on Sept. 17th? I live in Southern California and it's great if there is someone to go carpool.

Good luck for your interviews.

got an interview invite! =) I couldnt make next month's date, so am scheduled for november 5. cant wait!

does anyone know approx. how many applicants they interview at a time...i was just curious. For those with interviews on 9/17, see ya soon!

Hi All! On this section of the secondary: List verifiable volunteer clinic/health experience (for example at a community health center, IHS clinic, physician’s office, hospital, or something similar). Community health center and IHS experience must be verified by letter from the center. Is this to include shadowing experience? Thanks!

we will find out on tomorrow ! BTW, they will serve us BBQ. Hopefully it's a good dinner...:) see ya.

does anyone know approx. how many applicants they interview at a time...i was just curious. For those with interviews on 9/17, see ya soon!

Hey everyone! I'm interviewing in a few weeks October 8th. For those who interviewed last week, how did it go?

Did you feel the Thursday social was worth going to? How many people did you interview with? I hope it wasn't a super intense interview.. goodluck guys!

To answer your questions there were about 40-50 people being interviewed. The interview was with two faculty members and was somewhat of a closed file. It was pretty laid back but the questions did begin as soon as I sat down and lasted for the full 30 minutes, mostly the usual tell me about yourself, why DO etc. The social was very nice and allowed you to sit down with the faculty and ask them questions before the actual interview. They fed you multiple times and the overall experience was pretty positive. Consequently, does anyone who interviewed remember what they said the timeline for acceptance letters would be?

To answer your questions there were about 40-50 people being interviewed. The interview was with two faculty members and was somewhat of a closed file. It was pretty laid back but the questions did begin as soon as I sat down and lasted for the full 30 minutes, mostly the usual tell me about yourself, why DO etc. The social was very nice and allowed you to sit down with the faculty and ask them questions before the actual interview. They fed you multiple times and the overall experience was pretty positive. Consequently, does anyone who interviewed remember what they said the timeline for acceptance letters would be?

They will be discussing interviews over the next two wednesdays (due to the high volume of interviews - 48) and will have a response to us in about 4 weeks

Hey everyone! I'm interviewing in a few weeks October 8th. For those who interviewed last week, how did it go?

Did you feel the Thursday social was worth going to? How many people did you interview with? I hope it wasn't a super intense interview.. goodluck guys!

Definitely make sure you go to the social. I had an opportunity to sit down and speak with my interviewer (coincidence) for over 45 min at the end of the night. I also spoke with the person who ended up doing my file review for most of the faculty-student face time. The interview was laid back; however, they will fire questions for all 30 min. The faculty are extremely nice and helpful. **NOTE** Make sure you walk up and speak with faculty, I noticed a lot of applicants congregating with themselves while I was speaking with 5-6 faculty at a table.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely make sure you go to the social. I had an opportunity to sit down and speak with my interviewer (coincidence) for over 45 min at the end of the night. I also spoke with the person who ended up doing my file review for most of the faculty-student face time. The interview was laid back; however, they will fire questions for all 30 min. The faculty are extremely nice and helpful. **NOTE** Make sure you walk up and speak with faculty, I noticed a lot of applicants congregating with themselves while I was speaking with 5-6 faculty at a table.

Thank you for the advice! Did you bring a "guest" with you? I know when I put in my interview date, it had room for your guest name and such. I wasn't sure if people actually brought a parent or someone of their choice along for thursday..

I noticed 2-6 parents, I wasn't really keeping count, but there were a few.

I noticed 2-6 parents, I wasn't really keeping count, but there were a few.

So in your opinion, do you think it would be bad to bring a parent? I'm only 20, so my dad has to go with me anyways because no one will give me a rental car, and he was interested in going Thursday night to see the campus and stuff since he has never been to a medical school campus. I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't want to look weird having him with me!

Suggestions, please?

Well the social is organized where you get a colored name tag and then you split up into that group and you are given a tour by students. I was not in a group with a parent so I don't know how they fared. I don't think anyone is going to think you're weird because you have your father with you. The social is a really fun and relaxing experience, the faculty are not looking to give you pop quizzes or anything. It is just a way for you to get to know the school, faculty and your fellow applicants, which you will see the next day during your interviews. I would just consider your relation with your father, if he stresses you out or will prevent you from talking to others, then it might be a bad idea, but other than that, I don't really see any negatives with your father going.

The social is basically:

Speech/Introductions
Break up into Groups
Tour of campus/gym/etc by student guides
dinner with faculty/students/fellow applicants
leave

In my opinion, it was cool to see the parents and the spouses there. I sat at dinner with an interview candidate and her mom and another interview candidate and his wife, along with the Dean and the Bedside Manner professor. It was a fun and informative time and wasn't weird at all.

Thanks for the advice guidedwaves and cjohnso4! I hope you guys had a great experience and I wish you luck! I'm excited for my interview, and just got an acceptance at another school today,so I'm hoping that calms my nerves a bit.

I plan on my father attending the social, because I know he seems interested in going and I think it would be fun. My family has lived across the country my whole college experience, and I am glad they allow a guest so he gets a chance to see the school and such. I appreciate all the advice! goodluck!

Hi All! On this section of the secondary: List verifiable volunteer clinic/health experience (for example at a community health center, IHS clinic, physician’s office, hospital, or something similar). Community health center and IHS experience must be verified by letter from the center. Is this to include shadowing experience? Thanks!

what did you end up doing about this? Anyone else got an input??

Thanks!!!

I included shadowing opportunities and left the Doctor's office number as a way for them to verify it. If you have a way for the place where you had the experience to be contacted include it. If there is no one they can call to verify you did the activity then don't include it. Seems like most clinical/health experiences have someone that can be contacted (supervisor, doctor, manager, etc.).

Has anyone who interviewed on the 17th heard back?

Not yet but today was supposed to be the last Wednesday that they were meeting and discussing our files. I would assume letters would follow soon, hopefully. I am as anxious as you are.

Not yet but today was supposed to be the last Wednesday that they were meeting and discussing our files. I would assume letters would follow soon, hopefully. I am as anxious as you are.

Likewise, I want to call but it hasn't even been 2 weeks yet and they have roughly 50 applicants to go through. I'm actually afraid to get a letter, I heard they call you if you're accepted.

Likewise, I want to call but it hasn't even been 2 weeks yet and they have roughly 50 applicants to go through. I'm actually afraid to get a letter, I heard they call you if you're accepted.

From what they said, if you get a call you are accepted (it will also be followed up by a letter). If you get a letter by itself then its a no :(. You can also be emailed which I believe is wait listed. Also, they told us at the end that it will take about 4 weeks so probably sometime around oct 15th (which sucks).

If you get accepted to SOMA what CHC will you want to attend and why?

Called and cancelled my interview for next Friday! Hope one of you guys gets it!!!

WOOHOO!!! Just received an interview invite in an email today :D I wish I could have been able to interview on Oct 8 but I will be interviewing in OR for COMP-NW... So I ended up choosing Nov 5.

Anyone else attending that day?

So I interviewed on Sept. 17th and am also still waiting to hear back. Has anyone heard back since the last post.? I'm getting quite anxious and nervous..
Yesterday, I emailed my interviewers, and I received a reply stating, "I remember you very well. By rule, I am not allowed to reveal the final decision to you at this moment. But, I can tell you that both Dr. (interviewer) and I put in strong recommendation to the committee for you."
That sounds promising, but some of you have said that being mailed or emailed prior to receiving a phone call means you're not accepted or you're put on the alternate. Can someone confirm? I ask because if that is true, I now have a less positive feeling as my interviewer also said, "You should be getting official mail/email from the University admission office soon. However, we do have another interview session this Thur/Fri so the staff may be a bit busy at this time."
Does my interviewer mean to say that I'm not accepted but they tried.? I really hope that all of this is good news and that I'm just being pessimistic or just over-analyzing everything as I tend to do. I love this school and really want to be a part of it.
Now off to study for my P-Chem exam in the morning. But just thought I'd share.! Good luck to everyone. :]

That sounds promising, but some of you have said that being mailed or emailed prior to receiving a phone call means you're not accepted or you're put on the alternate. Can someone confirm?

You're definitely over-analyzing, haha. Historically, if rejected from the school, one would receive the official news through email; or if one was accepted, an official acceptance would come through USPS.

Clearly, your email is different - it is not an official email, and doesn't mean anything one way or the other, as far as your admission status goes. It does sound promising though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

You're definitely over-analyzing, haha. Historically, if rejected from the school, one would receive the official news through email; or if one was accepted, an official acceptance would come through USPS.

Clearly, your email is different - it is not an official email, and doesn't mean anything one way or the other, as far as your admission status goes. It does sound promising though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Haha thanks BCBY.! I was actually going to PM you that above question, but thanks for replying on here.! You have been so helpful throughout this interview process. My interview was pretty much exactly like what you had told me it would be like.

I'll be interviewing here very soon. Do they still have us do the "group activity" (as seen on the interview feedback page...from posters who posted last year) where they split us up into groups and give us a task to work on and observe us during this time? Or do they just give us the regular interview now?

I'll be interviewing here very soon. Do they still have us do the "group activity" (as seen on the interview feedback page...from posters who posted last year) where they split us up into groups and give us a task to work on and observe us during this time? Or do they just give us the regular interview now?

regular interview

regular interview

I see. I guess they didn't like the way those group activities turned out last year?

That's good news I guess. I definitely would feel weird working in a group if someone was sitting there watching us the whole time taking notes.

Yah, there is nothing awkward about the whole interview day. They really make you feel at home and try to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

Trust me, you'll be very impressed.

I can't deal with this waiting, I need to know soon!!!

I called yesterday and they said we should know by the end of the week.

Nothing here, I'm nervous every time I check my email, since in the past most/all acceptances were given on the phone. :laugh:

Nothing here, I'm nervous every time I check my email, since in the past most/all acceptances were given on the phone. :laugh:

I know, what a let down. I was seriously checking my phone nonstop today!

Has anyone heard any news that were in the September interview group yet?? I interviewed last week and absolutely loved the school. Waiting a long time is making me nervous.. just hope it's worth the wait!

Goodluck everyone!

Has anyone heard any news that were in the September interview group yet?? I interviewed last week and absolutely loved the school. Waiting a long time is making me nervous.. just hope it's worth the wait!

Goodluck everyone!

nope! we are supposed to hear this week! the waiting is horrible because I also fell in love with this school. Good luck to you too!

nope! we are supposed to hear this week! the waiting is horrible because I also fell in love with this school. Good luck to you too!

Haha, yah. I think there are a bunch of us checking our phones and checking the forums.

Anyone know what adress we send letters of rec to?
Thank you!

Anyone know what adress we send letters of rec to?
Thank you!

I'm not sure of the exact address since I used Virtual Evals, but you can always contact admissions and ask them. Here's the quote from the secondary email I received: "If you have any questions about ATSU-SOMA or your application, please contact the Office of Admissions at 866-626-2878, ext.2158 or at [email protected]."

Also, their address is 5850 E. Still Circle, Mesa, AZ 85206. I'm sure it will get to the appropriate place eventually.

Haha, yah. I think there are a bunch of us checking our phones and checking the forums.

So I was looking through last year's forum and one person interviewed on like Sept. 28 and received acceptance on Oct. 7 and another was accepted on Oct. 15 (1-2 weeks! -gah) Also, one person received an acceptance via email rather than phone call. Oh well, I'm praying to hear something (hopefully good) tomorrow or Friday guys.. This is like waiting for MCAT scores except so much harder.! :laugh:

So I was looking through last year's forum and one person interviewed on like Sept. 28 and received acceptance on Oct. 7 and another was accepted on Oct. 15 (1-2 weeks! -gah) Also, one person received an acceptance via email rather than phone call. Oh well, I'm praying to hear something (hopefully good) tomorrow or Friday guys.. This is like waiting for MCAT scores except so much harder.! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

yea but keep in mind they did not interview ~50 applicants at a time last year. I checked the same thing also and then realized they switched up the interview process. Also, I vaguely remember one of the deans at the end saying they HOPE it only takes 4 weeks but reserve the right to take another week lol. Lets just hope its within the next 48 hrs!!! GL to everyone waiting

Accepted, call admissions and they will tell you your status.

Congrats! I'm probably just going to wait though. Hopefully by mid next week we should be getting calls