ATSU/SOMA Arizona Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question.

I just got this weird e-mail inviting me to a "Student DO Day at ATSU-SOMA."

Below is the complete e-mail, but I'm confused as to whether this is an interview invitation, or some sort of pre-med ed. event, or what. Did other people get this as well? Also, is it bad that this is the FIRST correspondence I've had from ATSU-SOMA?

The e-mail is as follows:

.STUDENT D.O. DAY at ATSU-SOMA!...​
. .​
.Join the ATSU-SOMA students for a day of medical school!.
. .
.Starting Date: December 10, 2010...
.*see further dates available in 2011 (below).
. .
.Time: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m..
. .
.Join us for a typical day in the life of an ATSU-SOMA student with a classroom presentation, small group activities, and lab. You'll enjoy a lunch with Student Ambassadors..
. .
.The primary goal of A.T. Still University's School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona .
.(ATSU-SOMA) is to create exceptional physicians. ATSU-SOMA integrates a unique and innovative curriculum combined with early clinical experiences that prepare students for a valuable and meaningful future in osteopathic medicine. SOMA is looking for students that are eager to be a part of a new generation of osteopathic physicians, students that have a desire to become compassionate and forward thinking doctors, and students that are seeking an exciting alternative to the traditional and routine methods of medical education..
. .
.Highlights of the program:...
.• ATSU-SOMA uses the Clinical Presentation Educational Model which holds that there are approximately 120 different ways that a patient can present to a physician. ATSU-SOMA students learn inductive reasoning skills which will assist in developing the ability to assess and diagnose patients more efficiently .
.• Basic sciences are bundled with clinical sciences in order to give our students a more comprehensive and practical foundation for each medical discipline. The overall design of this curriculum emphasizes clinical competencies.
.• Osteopathic principles and practices are incorporated into every course, providing distinct training in the value of the healing touch in whole patient care.
.• Students spend their first year on the Mesa, Arizona campus learning together in small groups, using real-life patient interactions and simulated clinical experiences.
.• Simulation based education is utilized through the use of our 11 Advanced Human Patient Simulators, to challenge and test students' clinical and decision making skills during realistic patient care scenarios.
.• Students' education in years two through four will be based at one of the 11 select Community Campuses across the country.
.• The second year is spent in Community Campuses and students will have the opportunity to observe patient care first..‐.hand.. Students will continue their academic education through small group learning, lead by community campus faculty who are practicing physicians, as well as through various distance education technologies .
.• In years three and four, students will complete their clinical rotations in hospitals, clinics, and healthcare institutions that are associated or affiliated with their Community Campus.
._____________________________________________________________________________________________.
. .
.ATSU-SOMA's Student Government Association encourages pre-med students to attend ATSU-SOMA DO for a day. Students should attend who are interested in learning about osteopathic medicine and our university. Students will attend class, small group activities, eat lunch with Student Ambassadors, and observe a lab..
. .
.Dates available for 2011:.
. .
.January 14, 2011.
.February 4, 2011 .
.February 18, 2011 .
.March 4, 2011.
.March 25, 2011.
.April 22, 2011.
.May 20, 2011.
. .
.Contact:...
.Admissions.
.[email protected].

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question.

I just got this weird e-mail inviting me to a "Student DO Day at ATSU-SOMA."

Below is the complete e-mail, but I'm confused as to whether this is an interview invitation, or some sort of pre-med ed. event, or what. Did other people get this as well? Also, is it bad that this is the FIRST correspondence I've had from ATSU-SOMA?

The e-mail is as follows:

.STUDENT D.O. DAY at ATSU-SOMA!...​
. .​
.Join the ATSU-SOMA students for a day of medical school!.
. .
.Starting Date: December 10, 2010...
.*see further dates available in 2011 (below).
. .
.Time: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m..
. .
.Join us for a typical day in the life of an ATSU-SOMA student with a classroom presentation, small group activities, and lab. You'll enjoy a lunch with Student Ambassadors..
. .
.The primary goal of A.T. Still University's School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona .
.(ATSU-SOMA) is to create exceptional physicians. ATSU-SOMA integrates a unique and innovative curriculum combined with early clinical experiences that prepare students for a valuable and meaningful future in osteopathic medicine. SOMA is looking for students that are eager to be a part of a new generation of osteopathic physicians, students that have a desire to become compassionate and forward thinking doctors, and students that are seeking an exciting alternative to the traditional and routine methods of medical education..
. .
.Highlights of the program:...
.• ATSU-SOMA uses the Clinical Presentation Educational Model which holds that there are approximately 120 different ways that a patient can present to a physician. ATSU-SOMA students learn inductive reasoning skills which will assist in developing the ability to assess and diagnose patients more efficiently .
.• Basic sciences are bundled with clinical sciences in order to give our students a more comprehensive and practical foundation for each medical discipline. The overall design of this curriculum emphasizes clinical competencies.
.• Osteopathic principles and practices are incorporated into every course, providing distinct training in the value of the healing touch in whole patient care.
.• Students spend their first year on the Mesa, Arizona campus learning together in small groups, using real-life patient interactions and simulated clinical experiences.
.• Simulation based education is utilized through the use of our 11 Advanced Human Patient Simulators, to challenge and test students' clinical and decision making skills during realistic patient care scenarios.
.• Students' education in years two through four will be based at one of the 11 select Community Campuses across the country.
.• The second year is spent in Community Campuses and students will have the opportunity to observe patient care first..‐.hand.. Students will continue their academic education through small group learning, lead by community campus faculty who are practicing physicians, as well as through various distance education technologies .
.• In years three and four, students will complete their clinical rotations in hospitals, clinics, and healthcare institutions that are associated or affiliated with their Community Campus.
._____________________________________________________________________________________________.
. .
.ATSU-SOMA's Student Government Association encourages pre-med students to attend ATSU-SOMA DO for a day. Students should attend who are interested in learning about osteopathic medicine and our university. Students will attend class, small group activities, eat lunch with Student Ambassadors, and observe a lab..
. .
.Dates available for 2011:.
. .
.January 14, 2011.
.February 4, 2011 .
.February 18, 2011 .
.March 4, 2011.
.March 25, 2011.
.April 22, 2011.
.May 20, 2011.
. .
.Contact:...
.Admissions.
.[email protected].
nah thats not an interview invite, its something else. the subject for the interview invite is "SOMA-Interview Email"

Oh thanks angryazn88.

I'm just frustrated because I haven't heard ANYTHING from them all year, until now. I'm wondering if this is their way of saying "Better luck next year, but try this on for size!"

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
no i think they just havent got to you yet. there was a few people who got the same email as you did, im not sure if they got an interview though. what were your stats and when did you were finished with everything for SOMA?

Oh thanks angryazn88.

I'm just frustrated because I haven't heard ANYTHING from them all year, until now. I'm wondering if this is their way of saying "Better luck next year, but try this on for size!"

Any thoughts?

I'm in the same boat as you....I submitted my secondary the first week of October and haven't heard anything since... I haven't really read through the entire thread, but are other people not hearing anything with regards to interviews?

I interviewed at Touro a week ago and a girl interviewing that day told me that she submitted her secondary to ATSU-SOMA the last week of October and was interviewed mid-november. So I'm a bit confused as to how things are being conducted.

I also haven't heard anything from ATSU-SOMA - I was complete mid-October...is no news, good news? Does ATSU-SOMA give rejections or just wait until the end of the admissions cycle??

Oh thanks angryazn88.

Any thoughts?

They told us at the interview that for the first few months (til December) there's one 50-student interview session each month. After that it picks up and they start doing two 50-student interview sessions each month.... You still have a shot, you might wanna call to see if your application is at least complete tho.

oh good. I was begining to think they called me by mistake..

Is this your guys' top choice?

I'm 95% sure that I'm going to take SOMA. My only other option is UMDNJ-SOM (my state school), but I'm still waitlisted there and I probably won't hear back from them in terms of an acceptance/rejection til May.

How about you wolverine1?

I'm in the same boat as you....I submitted my secondary the first week of October and haven't heard anything since... I haven't really read through the entire thread, but are other people not hearing anything with regards to interviews?

I interviewed at Touro a week ago and a girl interviewing that day told me that she submitted her secondary to ATSU-SOMA the last week of October and was interviewed mid-november. So I'm a bit confused as to how things are being conducted.
thats weird man, i finished my secondary at the end of september and im going to interview this friday.... that girl musta had some killer stats haha. she submitted later than me and got an earlier interview!!

thats weird man, i finished my secondary at the end of september and im going to interview this friday.... that girl musta had some killer stats haha. she submitted later than me and got an earlier interview!!

Yeah, I agree, because when I contacted the admissions office they said it typically takes 6-8 weeks to hear back from them at this point. Maybe she was talking about a different school :)

I'm 95% sure that I'm going to take SOMA. My only other option is UMDNJ-SOM (my state school), but I'm still waitlisted there and I probably won't hear back from them in terms of an acceptance/rejection til May.

ATSU is not my first choice. Thankfully, I have other interviews coming up. If all else fails, however, I will be coming to ATSU. I remember Joyce saying something about the first match list being published in January. I am excited to see this.

Just emailed admissions and withdrew my acceptance. GOod luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in Best Western Legacy Inn waiting for tomorrow's social at SOMA. Is anyone else here for the social and then the interview on Friday?

I'm liking the mountains around here haha

Hello all, I am an undergrad interested in applying to medical school.

Applications for SOMA and AZCOM open around May-Early June, and I am not planning on graduating/getting my Bachelors til December of next year (I'm just retaking science classes to raise cum/science GPA, all my required classes for Biology are done, I could graduate right now but I choose not to), can I still apply to DO schools early? Or do they want applicants that already have their Bachelors certificate?

Would appreciate any feedback...

Hello all, I am an undergrad interested in applying to medical school.

Applications for SOMA and AZCOM open around May-Early June, and I am not planning on graduating/getting my Bachelors til December of next year (I'm just retaking science classes to raise cum/science GPA, all my required classes for Biology are done, I could graduate right now but I choose not to), can I still apply to DO schools early? Or do they want applicants that already have their Bachelors certificate?

Would appreciate any feedback...

In order to get an interview...you do not need to have "all" your ducks in a row. But, they need to be quacking and swimming toward the line if you know what I mean. You should have already taken your MCAT in order to apply, especially if you do not have all your prerequisites finished. Best of luck to you!

good luck to everyone starting to apply! I am going to be going to be a 1st yr student at ATSU-SOMA in less than a month (moving in just a few weeks to AZ!!) I'd be happy to try and answer some questions about the application process! I found the admissions staff to be very helpful and nice in the process as well, so I wouldn't have any hesitation contacting them if I were you!

As for 3rd/4th yr rotations...As far as I understand it really depends on your CHC location as to how much traveling you will need to do. They will run through the different options for you at both your interview, as well again when you become a student...so you will be briefed several times before you make a decision. For example, Hawaii is a CHC location that has a lot of traveling because you travel from island to island, which is very expensive...but then again you get to spend 3 yrs in Hawaii :) New york, on the other hand, is all in the city, so you would most likely do little traveling besides around the city. It really just depends where you choose. From hearing what some of our current classmates are thinking, some of them seem interested in traveling...so to some people this might be a plus if you move around a lot.

Good luck applying! I would definitely recommend looking more into SOMA! Give it a chance and come to campus for an interview if you get one! SOMA was actually my last choice until I came to campus, met all of the amazing people who work there, saw the beautiful campus, high tech buildings, sim people, and heard about the unique program. I was sold :)

Me too.. I was sold.. seriously the admin are genuinely nice. And they did a fabulous job in "selling" their school without you feeling like they are "pushing you. Although it makes it tougher for me.

Should I choose UMDNJ or AT Still-SOMA. I really think both are amazing schools. PLS help.. desperately need advice.

One question to all you 2nd 3rd 4th yr doctors at SOMA, I was a little worried about the "education" once you get to the CHC. I understand and looove the idea of immediate patient contact and all. But as a student, shouldn't we focus on doing well for our COMLEX, scoring great scores and concentrate on learning materials so that our scores will get us to great rotation choices once we get out?

PS: they dont offer summer prep huh?

hey mee too.. I think I met you. Are you the gal with long hair that was wearing cream outfit? like I met you at WEstern too =)
Im totally at the same position as you. Although I really have hoped that UMDNJ (your home school) would have done the same in trying to "Sell" me their school so at least I get a clear comparison of both. HELP!!! Both are my top choices!!

If you have been accepted to other schools in addition to SOMA, and you're feeling any concerns or reservations regarding the CHC experience, strongly consider choosing a traditional program with an established, solid educational foundation.

There are obvious indicators of whether or not this unique and experimental curriculum is working currently. It might work amazingly well at some point in the future, but is it working well currently?

One clear indicator would be COMLEX Level 2-CE scores (normally taken near the completion of year 3). The NBOME website explains, "Level 2-CE emphasizes the medical concepts and principles necessary for making appropriate medical diagnoses through patient history and physical examination findings." This should be the exam where SOMA students excel with their advertised advantage of having spent 8 hours each week in clinic during their 2nd year of medical school. Add to that 12 months of rotations during 3rd year, and you would certainly expect to see some amazing results.

The school now has these statistics from the inaugural class. Ask about them during your interview. Call and ask about this before making a final school selection. This marker or whether or not you are being prepared well clinically should hold a lot of weight in your choice about which medical school to attend.

If you have been accepted to other schools in addition to SOMA, and you're feeling any concerns or reservations regarding the CHC experience, strongly consider choosing a traditional program with an established, solid educational foundation.

There are obvious indicators of whether or not this unique and experimental curriculum is working currently. It might work amazingly well at some point in the future, but is it working well currently?

One clear indicator would be COMLEX Level 2-CE scores (normally taken near the completion of year 3). The NBOME website explains, "Level 2-CE emphasizes the medical concepts and principles necessary for making appropriate medical diagnoses through patient history and physical examination findings." This should be the exam where SOMA students excel with their advertised advantage of having spent 8 hours each week in clinic during their 2nd year of medical school. Add to that 12 months of rotations during 3rd year, and you would certainly expect to see some amazing results.

The school now has these statistics from the inaugural class. Ask about them during your interview. Call and ask about this before making a final school selection. This marker or whether or not you are being prepared well clinically should hold a lot of weight in your choice about which medical school to attend.
I've checked on the website but I couldn't find these statistics that your talking about. Do you mind linking us so we can see? I remember during the interview, the dean said that the stats would be up by January.

Are you a current student at SOMA?

DO you have ATSU SOMA cOMLEX score and MATCH list 2010?

Me too.. I was sold.. seriously the admin are genuinely nice. And they did a fabulous job in "selling" their school without you feeling like they are "pushing you. Although it makes it tougher for me.

Should I choose UMDNJ or AT Still-SOMA. I really think both are amazing schools. PLS help.. desperately need advice.

One question to all you 2nd 3rd 4th yr doctors at SOMA, I was a little worried about the "education" once you get to the CHC. I understand and looove the idea of immediate patient contact and all. But as a student, shouldn't we focus on doing well for our COMLEX, scoring great scores and concentrate on learning materials so that our scores will get us to great rotation choices once we get out?

PS: they dont offer summer prep huh?

3rd year -
Overall I like the school.
My education at my site was mostly individual learning although the two days of group instruction was valuable. Patient contact was a bonus and was especially helpful if the module (i.e. GU) corresponded to the types of patients I was seeing.
Pick your site as to where you want to live, what you hear about the site cohesiveness, and distance you are willing to drive. And pray that your fellow students in your CHC are a group you get along with. The friends and groups you make first year often continue during second year via email as you pass along handouts, notes, and helpful information. It would have made it much harder had I not had a group that worked well together both email and at my site.
Yes, COMLEX is definitely important but again, mostly individual learning. The school tries to force you to think about it by taking periodic subject exams but ultimately it comes down to you. It would be helpful to have a prep course however no official summer prep course although with the current second years they will have two months to study for boards vs one month that was provided for the first two classes so there is the possibility of setting it up should you need it.
Each site is different so I can only speak for my site. My preceptors are extremely accommodating and try to assist me in my learning and in my schedule. When I thought I would do a prep course, they were willing to work with the schedule in regards to school requirements. Fortunately, I did not need it after all but the ability was there.
Current board scores for Step I were decent (for 2 classes) and Step II (for 1 class) slightly below national average but hopefully that will improve. I will find out for myself about Step II this summer but I am expecting to do all of the prep work myself again between studying for end-of-rotation exams.
The biggest drawback that I have as a third, soon to be fourth year is the lack of guidance from SOMA in regards to residency assistance and audition planning. Considering that the parent school is KCOM, you would think there would be some sharing of this info but little has occurred. Most schools have a formal, set aside day or two of application information for residency as well as a specific place to go for this information. Other than an occasional powerpoint, podcast, and a new word document there is little to go off of other than websites such as SDN and no recent grads with more experience. This may improve in the future but I will be in residency by then.

Hope this helps. IM me if you want more information.

So I thought I would throw out a quick note to the pre-meds considering ATSU-SOMA. Also I actually am a current second year student and I don't believe Current2ndYear goes to ATSU-SOMA at all. Current2ndYear feel free to PM me and let me know who you are and I'll retract my statement. Until then I would take what he/she says with a grain of salt.

With that said I am currently at the Oregon CHC site in Portland. Like has been mentioned in many posts, each CHC experience is somewhat different. Students at some sites such as the one in Brooklyn, NY are more likely to have more inpatient experiences during second year than at other sites such as mine which is strictly outpatient. I can't give specific details about every site because I have not been to them all but if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me and I'll find out the answer.

Overall, what I can say about my second year experience so far at SOMA is that it has been stellar. We meet Mon, Wed, Fri at the CHC in North Portland with our Regional Director to go over cases, medical skills, osteopathic manipulative medicine and discuss the new material in our regular class work. Tuesdays we are spread out throughout different CHCs around the city. Clinic is pretty fun because it breaks up the monotony of book work and I work with a really cool attending who went to UCLA for med school. Thursday is for diadatic course work/board review etc.. Each CHC has a different weekly schedule but thats a sample from what we do. All I can say is that the second year is currently working very well and myself along with my peers are very satisfied. I have met one or two along the way who have transfered or were asked to leave the program or something like that but that is something that happens at most programs out there. Bottom line medical education is what you put into it and ATSU does everything it can to maximize your efforts.

As far as COMLEX/USMLE goes, scores have been released for Step 1 takers from the 1st two classes and Step 2 was just released for the 1st class. Step 1 should be available the general public at this point but I don't believe Step 2 is yet. Should be soon. Our school's first match is this next year (2011) so there are no match lists available at this time.

I'm currently working with my regional director to set up my rotation schedule at various hospitals and clinics throughout the region. So far it seems to be shaping up real nice with a good mix at bigger hospital/inpatient settings as well as outpatient clinics.

Hope this answers some questions...feel free to PM me with any questions. And for anyone who is in the Portland area and would like to check out what we do, let me know. For anyone who is near one of the other 10 locations and you would like to visit I'm sure you could and I could put you in touch with someone there.

Found this link while researching a specific residency program of interest. My CHC rotations do not satisfy the requirements shown below, so I will be unable to seek audition rotations at this particular program. I think it emphasizes the importance of making sure the medical school you select (or the CHC you're matched to) provides strong clinical training in appropriate settings.

http://www.stjosephs-phx.org/Academic_Affairs/For_Current_Students/186294

• All in-patient rotations (internal medicine, pediatrics, neurology, OB/GYN, pathology, radiology) require a minimum of six (6) weeks experience in a ward-based teaching hospital.
  • Outpatient electives in medicine and pediatrics have a minimum requirement of four (4) weeks experience in a residency teaching clinic.
  • For a Family Medicine rotation, students are required to have completed six (6) weeks experience in an organized family medicine curriculum.

man, i loved this school when i interviewed at it but im really worried about how their students do on their big board exams. i know its up to each student to study and do well but i feel like the school is really important for providing the fundamentals needed to do well. what do you guys think? ive already been accepted and i need to put down a deposit in like 2 weeks and im trying to decide between CCOM and SOMA. its such a hard choice!!

Angryazn, when did you interview and how and when did they notify you that you were accepted?

Hello future classmates! I interviewed and was accepted last year, but I deferred for a year. Is everyone that was accepted a part of FB group? PM me if you're not. I would love to get to know some of my future classmates before July. Can't wait!:)
SOMA class of 2015!

Angryazn, when did you interview and how and when did they notify you that you were accepted?
they actually called me first and then i received a package in the mail like 2 weeks later... but the delay might have been because of the holiday season and the blizzard we had in new york

i interviewed on dec. 10th and got an acceptance phone call about a week later. the package was dated dec. 17th so im guessing they called me and sent the package at the same time.

I started a fb group then after I found out that the school has their own official fb group... I deleted it. So far we don't have too many members on the official one. Please join the group. I think you need an invite from the school admin.

I was wondering about anatomy class-can pregnant women take anatomy class? Do they make other accomodations for these people so they do not have to work in the lab-I know some schools let them work on computerized anatomy labs and let them take the same tests that way. If someone out there can let me know how they handle this it would be very helpful. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the "hometown endorsement" is still going on at this school, and if so, does it do anything for your chances at admittance?

I also haven't heard anything from ATSU-SOMA - I was complete mid-October...is no news, good news? Does ATSU-SOMA give rejections or just wait until the end of the admissions cycle??
Same here - hadn't heard anything from them since getting the application complete email in October. Then a couple of hours ago, I emailed the admissions office asking what I need to do to withdraw my application since I decided to go to a different school, and I immediately received an email with an interview invite. Weird.

Same here - hadn't heard anything from them since getting the application complete email in October. Then a couple of hours ago, I emailed the admissions office asking what I need to do to withdraw my application since I decided to go to a different school, and I immediately received an email with an interview invite. Weird.

Got one today too

Same with me. When are you guys scheduled to interview? I'm interviewing Feb. 4th. Has anyone heard how full the class is?

Decided not to interview - I'm pretty set on Touro-CA, and my interviewing finances have dried up!

Same with me. When are you guys scheduled to interview? I'm interviewing Feb. 4th. Has anyone heard how full the class is?

+1. Anyone know anything about where the school is with this interview process? Has anyone who interviewed on January 14th heard back yet?

Judging from the activity (or lack thereof) in this thread, either the class is barely filled OR few of those accepted are regulars of SDN.

+1. Anyone know anything about where the school is with this interview process? Has anyone who interviewed on January 14th heard back yet?

Judging from the activity (or lack thereof) in this thread, either the class is barely filled OR few of those accepted are regulars of SDN.

When I interviewed there in November they told us that they interview a total of 500 and accept 300 (only 107 actually end up going tho). Before January, they did only 1 interview session per month (about 50 students per session). Now they're doing two sessions per month.

I don't know exactly how many they've accepted so far, but I'd say now is the time when most of the school's decisions occur and you have a 60% chance of being accepted.

Got a rejection letter pre-interview yesterday - good luck to you all still in the running!

When I interviewed there in November they told us that they interview a total of 500 and accept 300 (only 107 actually end up going tho). Before January, they did only 1 interview session per month (about 50 students per session). Now they're doing two sessions per month.

I don't know exactly how many they've accepted so far, but I'd say now is the time when most of the school's decisions occur and you have a 60% chance of being accepted.
I put down a deposit at the school! I'm pretty excited but I'm still waiting to interview at other schools and I'm pretty sure other people are in the same situation as me so keep positive people!

I wonder if ATSU-SOMA gives out any rejections post-interview? This would be quite cruel considering they make us try on white coats during the interview. What a tease!

is anyone going to the interview on Feb 4th or the 18th? Do you want to share a car?

Just got the call! Feels soooo good.:D Good luck to others!!!

Has anyone who interviewed on Jan 14 heard anything yet.

Interviewed 12/10. Got pulled off alternate list. Not on it very long.....less then 3 weeks after notice.