ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i would like to live near arizona state campus, it is about 20 min away from the school, would this be a doable commute?

Members don't see this ad.

I think so, but it depends on how much you are willing (and can tolerate) to drive.

I'm also not a medical student so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I live near ASU but not right by it (a couple miles away). I won't move if I get in to/attend SOMA. I'm also right off the 60 so that makes it an easy jump to get over there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude,

You got hurt by the waitlist, we all get it. Stop slinging mud, it's very unprofessional.

Nah. A medical school that lies to applicants is unprofessional AND shady. This school doesn't even have a real library either. I don't even know why they call it a library. There are barely any books. It's mostly just tables.

Good luck competing for the <80 spots that are probably left because of this school's irrational admissions process. I'm applying to better schools instead.

Last edited:
Nah. A medical school that lies to applicants is unprofessional AND shady. This school doesn't even have a real library either. I don't even know why they call it a library. There are barely any books. It's mostly just tables.

Good luck competing for the <80 spots that are probably left because of this school's irrational admissions process. I'm applying to better schools instead.

1. In all fairness to the school, my class and the classes before me cleared the wait list (or at least most of it). But the school can never guarantee what is going to happen, hence why they didnt tell you that you were accepted but still waiting. The point of a wait list is that you have to wait to see if spots open up. My guess is that as the schools popularity and reputation gains momentum (it is still a relatively "new" school), there is less and less turnover. Perhaps the admissions department accepted too many people, but this says nothing about the quality of our education. I would recommend reviving your "life isnt fair" attitude before applying or going elsewhere...because med school isnt always fair. With that sore attitude you wont make it one week in medical school.

2. We don't have a traditional state school campus. But why do we need one? The class is ~100 people, we all take the same classes and are only on campus for a year. What good would a giant campus do for us besides raise tuition. SOMA isnt your typical medical school. We live in a small, community oriented atmosphere. Your classmates become your family. You will study your butt off and learn more than you thought possible. Nothing of this has to do with the building.

3. The library isnt a library because you either own every book you need or have access to virtual textbooks online (a lot of them!). You dont have time to do 100 page research papers on top of your school work, so honestly we never missed not having text books. Not once did i need a book during my first year that isnt online or in a required text. (Plus a library of books does you no good when you are no longer on campus...having books online allows you access to these all four years of your education). I used the library (or LRC) as a quiet place to study. SOMA students also have pretty much exclusive access to 8 private group study rooms upstairs (we are the only ones with keys). These rooms have skeletons, OMT tables, two tables to study on, big flat screen tvs, sim people, etc.

I understand you are bitter about your experience, Im sorry you didn't get the opportunity to join our school but I agree that bashing it just makes you look bad. Hopefully you will find another medical school that you will be happy at. :)

best of luck to you all as you apply!

Thanks for your input, pink. I don't know why every year's SOMA thread degrades into this bitter bashing of the school, but I really am sick of hearing about it. My experiences as a premed with the school have been nothing but positive, and I'm glad yours have been too as a medical student.

I, for one, am going to ignore any other posts on this particular subject. I don't want to feed the fire.

Thanks for your input, pink. I don't know why every year's SOMA thread degrades into this bitter bashing of the school, but I really am sick of hearing about it. My experiences as a premed with the school have been nothing but positive, and I'm glad yours have been too as a medical student.

I, for one, am going to ignore any other posts on this particular subject. I don't want to feed the fire.

Personally, I'd say that this is the thread for people who want to apply to this school or attend this school. Bashers, well you can be banned for that kind of stuff, and again, you don't want to apply, so don't... leave the rest of us to discuss interview dates etc...

Personally, I'd say that this is the thread for people who want to apply to this school or attend this school. Bashers, well you can be banned for that kind of stuff, and again, you don't want to apply, so don't... leave the rest of us to discuss interview dates etc...

:thumbup:

Secondary essay is killing me. Maybe I'm just trying too hard D:

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree, the title is "ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread". That's what I am doing - discussing my experience. Not every school is perfect nor does every school deserve to be glorified simply because it is a medical school. I am allowed to dissent; it's called free speech.

I'll leave it alone. My message is clear and any applicant who reads this thread will know what happened last year. Hopefully SOMA fixes it this year but if they don't...well, don't say I didn't tell ya. ;)

Of course you disagree. You're disagreeable, especially about this. Here's the thing, you're entitled to free speech, except when it breaks the rules of the forum. Hate to break it to you.

Secondary essay is killing me. Maybe I'm just trying too hard D:

No, their secondary was tough in my opinion. I thought the questions were the hardest I've seen so far. Definitely not the run of the mill "why DO, why this school" stuff.... I had a moment of clarity the other night and was able to write them, it took me a bit...

The SOMA secondary was very specific to their mission. I really took my time trying to craft something that spoke to that. I hope they send out interview invites soon. :)

Last edited:
I disagree, the title is "ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread". That's what I am doing - discussing my experience. Not every school is perfect nor does every school deserve to be glorified simply because it is a medical school. I am allowed to dissent; it's called free speech.

I'll leave it alone. My message is clear and any applicant who reads this thread will know what happened last year. Hopefully SOMA fixes it this year but if they don't...well, don't say I didn't tell ya. ;)

Of course this forum is to voice concerns over the school. And you have a legitimate concern about the way the school handled the wait list. That is not the problem, the problem is when people on this forum get personally offended by not getting accepted to the school (or in the past people who have been kicked out for their own reasons whether it be grades or personal reasons) and then these people choose petty little things to rag on the school about, trying to convince people that the entire school is not a legitimate educational institution not worth anyone's time to apply because your own personal feelings were hurt.

There is nothing wrong with the campus or the library, or any other facility on campus for that matter. SOMA is a unique school, if it is for you, great! If it is not for you, best of luck finding your education elsewhere. No harsh feelings necessary.

Last edited:
Ok Soma, I have an interview in Arizona on Sept 24th, it would be really nice if you would go ahead and send me an invite and allow me to interview on the 23rd. Is that really so much to ask? :)

Ok Soma, I have an interview in Arizona on Sept 24th, it would be really nice if you would go ahead and send me an invite and allow me to interview on the 23rd. Is that really so much to ask? :)

I'm at SOMA in my 1st year right now. I heard them saying they were going to start interviews in August. But I'm not so sure it wasn't a miscommunication on their part. They're just getting the student component of the interview committee together so I can't imagine they'll be ready to interview this month.

:thumbup: seriously!!

Agreed! Would it be out of place to send them an email inquiring about this? I really don't want to make two separate trips to AZ if I can help it.

We are interviewing at azcom same day. More iimportantly though, I agree. One flight is way better for me.

So my secondary essays are complete, but I feel bad because I just copy pasta'd my clinical/volunteer experiences from my primary. Should I change them? I was pretty comprehensive in my primary about my experiences so I wouldn't know what else to say....

they have 1 interview date available. I think I will wait until they have a couple more as I cannot make 9/9/11.

Yeah, hopefully a date such as... 9/22, or maybe 9/26... haha (aka flanking my AZCOM trip)

Congrats~!
You guys got the invite via email?

interview invite!! this is turning out to be a great application cycle (5 interviews already!) I was complete at SOMA on 7/7 for those who are wondering

Interview invite!!!! I love SOMA and I am so excited. This is going to be my first interview, I scheduled for 9/9. :D

I was complete on 7/21. Good luck you guys!!!

Anybody know how much time they give for you to make a decision? I know the deposits are 1000 dollars each, but do they make you give a deposit within 2 weeks if you are accepted?

Anybody know how much time they give for you to make a decision? I know the deposits are 1000 dollars each, but do they make you give a deposit within 2 weeks if you are accepted?

The CIB gives deposit information for each school. I didn't look it up but I think they follow the AACOM guidelines for deposits, meaning that if you are accepted in the fall the deposit isn't due until December 15th. Again I didn't double check this, but I think it is true for SOMA.

If you are accepted in the spring, it is different. I think it is two weeks then.

The CIB gives deposit information for each school. I didn't look it up but I think they follow the AACOM guidelines for deposits, meaning that if you are accepted in the fall the deposit isn't due until December 15th. Again I didn't double check this, but I think it is true for SOMA.

If you are accepted in the spring, it is different. I think it is two weeks then.

thanks for the info!

interview invite! 3.76 cGPA, 3.70 SGPA, 24O MCAT (retaking sept 2nd)

they have 1 interview date available. I think I will wait until they have a couple more as I cannot make 9/9/11.

I emailed them. They made the 23rd available for interviews. I changed mine. First come first serve! Good luck, and see you there. :thumbup:

Oh, darn. I scheduled for the 9th, but this makes SOMA my first interview and I would have preferred to have a couple others first. I am in state though so I don't really have a reason other than that to change dates, and I just scheduled it last night. I guess I'll stick with the 9th.

Dang it. The 23rd is my azcom one. Too late. Could I tactfully email azcom?

I'm sure you could, and it would probably not be an issue. AZCOM interviews Mon, Tues, Th, Fri and apparently SOMA is only on Fridays. I'm interviewing at AZCOM on the 22nd, so if you happen to switch to that date let me know. I'll be renting a car, and driving over to SOMA after the interview so you're welcome to tag along if it makes things easier. I'm sure I'll be stressed so it might be nice to have some company anyway.

Hey all,

not sure if I am going to be interviewing in September here or not. Because of my committee packet taking forever to be sent, I was not complete until 8/2. I am interviewing at AZCOM on the 23rd. Anyone who is staying the night on Sept 23rd, want to go out for dinner/drinks? It would be kind of fun to get a big group.

I live in Arizona so I might be down if others are interested.

i just got my app done a couple days ago (aug 9th). anyone know if i'm supposed to be getting an email after the "your application is complete" email? one that has a code/password to see my status?

Someone mentioned in last year's thread that 60% of the interviewees are accepted and I was just wondering if that is true. Does anyone know any numbers on the subject? Also, I am interviewing on 9/9, are there any interview dates before that or is that the first date? And how is it an advantage to have an early interview if tons of people who interviewed in february last year were accepted?

How long did it take for them to confirm you all as complete after you submitted the secondary and LORs...i called them, and they said they have everything, but they didn't email the confirmation number so I could view the full status and my evaluations still say "Application in Process"

If you called them and they said they have everything, then you're complete.

Seems like in last year's thread, they stopped sending out those confirmation numbers as well. So you have to call to check on your status.

If you called them and they said they have everything, then you're complete.

Seems like in last year's thread, they stopped sending out those confirmation numbers as well. So you have to call to check on your status.

Thanks.