ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if going to U of Arizona stands out with this school? I am a Texas resident but did do my Undergrad in Arizona.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if going to U of Arizona stands out with this school? I am a Texas resident but did do my Undergrad in Arizona.

Nope, I don't think ATSU really cares where you went to undergrad. We have a pretty good mix of people from all over, and who went to school all over. I don't think they have any sort of preference for anyone in particular, unless you're involved with a Community Health Center.

Sorry for the confusion. The title implies they are separate, but below the title it says, "List verifiable volunteer clinic/health experience (for example at a community health center, IHS clinic, physician’s office, hospital, or something similar)."

I looked at mine again, I included all work experience as well, and I have an interview invite so I couldn't have done it that wrong!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite for ATSU-SOMA but none of the dates work for me. Going to request a date in early November.

Same, just got an interview invite. Seems kind of late, might just withdraw my application.

Just got an interview invite for ATSU-SOMA but none of the dates work for me. Going to request a date in early November.
Veteran's day 11/11 is the only date in Nov they have. They also have 10/28.

Same, just got an interview invite. Seems kind of late, might just withdraw my application.
Seems kind of late?? Umm, it's Sept... why would you think you should withdraw?

Veteran's day 11/11 is the only date in Nov they have. They also have 10/28.

Seems kind of late?? Umm, it's Sept... why would you think you should withdraw?

Sorry I meant the interview came late compared to my other schools, and I have gotten several acceptances. So I might just give this spot to another fellow applicant.

Sorry I meant the interview came late compared to my other schools, and I have gotten several acceptances. So I might just give this spot to another fellow applicant.

If you are already accepted somewhere you'd rather go than you might as well save the airfare.

Anyone hear back from the sept. 9th interview? I had mine on the 23rd and im already anxious!!!

I was in the 9/9 group and still haven't heard. I guess we have to wait another week. :(

They split us up into 8 groups of around 6-8 people. That was your group for the day. Group 1 would interview first; 2 would go second and so forth. Some people had 1 interviewer, while others had 2. I don't think anyone in my group had 3 interviewers. Presentations would also be given at different times for different groups. There was a lot of moving around and they showed a pretty funny video at one point.

+1, exact same layout for me as well, and the video was actually pretty hilarious...was glad to see the diversity and outgoing personalities among the first years there.

I felt pretty nervous in my interview, too. It wasn't my first, but it definitely wasn't my best interview.

I actually felt okay during my interview; 2 interviewers that were comforting and conversational. Actually they were so conversational that they took the liberty to converse with each other about stuff like Nebraska football (I'm from NE and we're in the Big10 now) and Arizona weather...I found them to be quite amusing. Hopefully I didn't get the ONLY nice guys!

g'luck to those interviewing (or waiting for an II); I'm anxiously waiting for a decision which should come Oct. 21 at the latest (interviewed 9/23 and they said 4 weeks max)...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who are already past this stage, how long after submitting the secondary application should one expect an e-mail confirming that the application has been processed?

Submitted my secondary July 23rd, complete on July 27th, and invited for an interview on Aug. 10th. Hope that helps, had to go through my email for ya :)

Submitted my secondary July 23rd, complete on July 27th, and invited for an interview on Aug. 10th. Hope that helps, had to go through my email for ya :)

As far as your app being complete, does it actually say that on the login site? All of my stuff has been received, last item on 9-25, and my stuff still says received. Will this status change at all or do I just wait? Thanks for your help.

As far as your app being complete, does it actually say that on the login site? All of my stuff has been received, last item on 9-25, and my stuff still says received. Will this status change at all or do I just wait? Thanks for your help.

I didn't check anything online. I received an email on the 27th saying that they processed my secondary application and material they have on file.

Anyone have any word on when they will start giving acceptances? I interviewed 9/22. I think they said they meet on Tuesdays?

I didn't check anything online. I received an email on the 27th saying that they processed my secondary application and material they have on file.

I got the email saying they were going to process everything on file. Just a waiting game now I guess. Thanks for your help!

I asked them how long it would take for them to make a decision, and I believe they told me 2-4 weeks. I interviewed on 9/9 and haven't heard yet; this Friday will be four weeks so I would expect to wait a bit for this one.

Accepted! Just got the call from admissions. Today is a good day! :D

Accepted! Just got the call from admissions. Today is a good day! :D
Also accepted!!! It's going to be a tough decision. Any 3rd or 4th years out there willing to answer questions???

Does SOMA have any hotels they recommend or have discounts for? I just received clearance from my new job to take the day off (10/28)!

Does SOMA have any hotels they recommend or have discounts for? I just received clearance from my new job to take the day off (10/28)!

They have a list of hotels (including discounts) in a pdf attached to a link in the interview invitation e-mail.

Congrats you two!!

May I ask if you guys were in the first group (Sep 9th) or the second one on Sep 24th?

Also accepted!!! It's going to be a tough decision. Any 3rd or 4th years out there willing to answer questions???

Congrats you two!!

May I ask if you guys were in the first group (Sep 9th) or the second one on Sep 24th?
1st group - September 9th. We were told it would be 2-4 weeks.

I submitted my secondary on 9/28 and received an e-mail stating that my application had been received and that I would receive another e-mail with login information once it had been processed. It's been a week, and I have yet to receive the e-mail with my login information. Does it normally take this long, or should I call admissions to check if there is a problem? Thanks!

It took a couple of weeks before I received mine.

I submitted my secondary on 9/28 and received an e-mail stating that my application had been received and that I would receive another e-mail with login information once it had been processed. It's been a week, and I have yet to receive the e-mail with my login information. Does it normally take this long, or should I call admissions to check if there is a problem? Thanks!

I got my confirmation information within a week of submitting my secondary

Scheduled for 10/28. Arizonaaaaaa.. gonna drive (from San Diego, CA) ^_^b

congrats to those accepted!

9/23er in the house...hurrying up to wait. :laugh:

wooph...man....................it sure is quiet in here...:sleep:

I would highly recommend the LaQuinta Inn (superstition springs). The rooms were spacious, with both a fridge and microwave, big screen TV, huge bathroom, outdoor pool, a chocalate chip cookie and bottle of water waiting for you, a call from the person at the front desk 15min after you get into your room asking "Are you finding everything alright, sir?", an indoor water fountain, walking distance to a grill/bar and chipotles, free breakfast, and free shuttle service within a 5 mile radius (this includes ATSU/SOMA). All for $60, and I felt like I was being treated like a king!! (I actually didn't confirm if this was a discounted rate, but I assume it was since I told them that I was interviewing at SOMA...).

also, I found a way to get to and from the airport using public transportation and planning my trip on this site (valley metro):
http://trips.valleymetro.org/pages/full_trip

It cost me $3.50 each way (a total of $7)...however, the cost will depend on how many buses you take...also, a major downside to this was of course that it took approximately 1.5-2hrs, so you have to really plan accordingly, make sure your flight arrives before bus/rail systems are closed for the day, and that your flight departs at least one hour after expected arrival at the airport (which should be enough time because it was actually pretty easy to get through to the gates at SkyHarbor airport). Also, be prepared to call a cab in case you miss the bus...but it's definitely doable, and they had all services on time and running, so it worked out for me!

Sooo, no phone call from the first interview group means... rejection? Waitlisted? Seems weird that out of 40 people only a small handful got a phonecall.

Insights?

Sooo, no phone call from the first interview group means... rejection? Waitlisted? Seems weird that out of 40 people only a small handful got a phonecall.

Insights?
I called admissions and the lady on the phone said they are really behind on the 9/9 group. They haven't even gotten to my application yet. Said we should give it about 2 weeks to hear calls.

I have a question for all the 9/9 interviewees out there...(I was on 9/23)...

How many women were at your interview day? There were only 4 women at ours and there are only two interview days a month (at least for September) and I just thought it was odd...curious if that was a fluke.

Insights?

Not everyone is on SDN, and not everyone posts if they get accepted.

How many women were at your interview day? There were only 4 women at ours and there are only two interview days a month (at least for September) and I just thought it was odd...curious if that was a fluke.

There was definitely more than 4 girls... but definitely majority male.

There were a lot of no-shows that day, which is really abnormal. At least that's what Joyce told me. That's probably part of it.

Hi all -
Interviewed on 9/9 - made the alternate list : (
guess it could be worse..i.e. a 'no'. Just curious.....anyone know what the chance of acceptance is for us alternates?

Hi all -
guess it could be worse..i.e. a 'no'. Just curious.....anyone know what the chance of acceptance is for us alternates?
Do they rank the alternate list? I interviewed the same day as you and was accepted, but probably won't be attending. I hope you get my spot! :)

Is this school your 1st choice?

Hi all -

Hey, I feel you!! I just made the alternate list at another school. Interviewed here on the 23rd so I am hoping for better news :scared:

Can anyone give a brief rundown of how the interview went? I looked at the interview feedback, and some people say it was a group, some say individual, some say open file, some say closed file... Just wondering what to expect.

As for staying/driving, I'm actually going to be flying into Tucson because my aunt/uncle live there and I'll be renting a car there, driving up/back and dropping it off...

You are in a "group" for your interview day, but it is not for the actual interview, it is just the group you have scheduled activities with. This way not all 50 people interviewing are doing the exact same thing the whole time.

My mind is a little fuzzy on the day now, but if I remember correctly, we had a short welcome from admissions, we watched a video made by the students (and tried on white coats--they will tease you), went to the financial aid talk, then went to the interview. After the interview we had a talk on the CHCs (both the locations and the CHC movement in general), saw the simulation lab, had some break time with the other applicants, saw an OMT demonstration, had lunch with the ambassadors, and that's about it. The day was fully scheduled so we only had a short amount of time sitting around. Depending on your group, the order you visited each "station" was different, including your interview time, so that was the purpose of the group. There is no tour on interview day--it is at the social the night before, so definitely go to that if you get in early enough. That's also a time where you might get to talk with your interviewers if you're lucky.

For the interview itself, you are the only candidate, but there are two faculty. Maybe some people only had one but for my group everyone was scheduled with two. I believe they have some of your file but not your grades or scores. This is the part I can't remember. They definitely don't have your numbers but I feel like they asked me questions about some of my activities...not sure if I led them to those questions or if they had my stuff in front of them.

Congratulations.....as a matter of fact yes....this is my first choice by faaaaaar.
We'll see!

How quickly does/did SOMA give out their secondary? My app was released last week, thinkin I did not make thee cut :scared:

Hi everyone,

I just got an interview invite for ATSU-SOMA, and I'm really excited for it! My date's at the end of October. I was wondering, what kind of dress code should we follow for the social?

Hi everyone,

I just got an interview invite for ATSU-SOMA, and I'm really excited for it! My date's at the end of October. I was wondering, what kind of dress code should we follow for the social?
Nice business casual and you will be fine.

Hi everyone,

SOMA student here, just wear business causal the night before.

Really hoping to hear back this week with an acceptance so I can cancel most of my other interviews..this school definitely takes the longest to getting back to us