ATSU-SOMA v NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Zoidberg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its a "what do you prefer" type of question but some pros and cons for each? I got accepted into both ATSU-SOMA and NYIT-COM (NYCOM) and I dont really know which to pick.

For me its like this: I lived in NY for 15 yrs and SOMA would be great in the sense that I'd see some new parts of the world. Also, the fact that rotations start 2nd year is helpful for experience. But people who are in SOMA (or finished) can maybe tell me more. Also they can tell me if you can change your site and which sites are 'better' and why. SOMA is also cheaper in tuition. NYCOM for me would be cool because I'm used to the city and to Long Island. Id also be closer to my family.

So what do you guys think? Is the fact that SOMA sends you to a CHC a pro or a con? Since its so focused on primary care do you learn more or less?

As for the COMLEX and USMLE pass rates (and how they prepare you for it), I have no information...does anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I know its a "what do you prefer" type of question but some pros and cons for each? I got accepted into both ATSU-SOMA and NYIT-COM (NYCOM) and I dont really know which to pick.

For me its like this: I lived in NY for 15 yrs and SOMA would be great in the sense that I'd see some new parts of the world. Also, the fact that rotations start 2nd year is helpful for experience. But people who are in SOMA (or finished) can maybe tell me more. Also they can tell me if you can change your site and which sites are 'better' and why. SOMA is also cheaper in tuition. NYCOM for me would be cool because I'm used to the city and to Long Island. Id also be closer to my family.

So what do you guys think? Is the fact that SOMA sends you to a CHC a pro or a con? Since its so focused on primary care do you learn more or less?

As for the COMLEX and USMLE pass rates (and how they prepare you for it), I have no information...does anyone?

For SOMA, rotations don't start in second year. Instead you get about 8 hours of clinical work a week for second year which can mean a lot of things, but mostly involve primary care.

You can change your CHC if you find someone to switch with. This process can be done during any year. The idea of which site is better is tough to determine. The general philosophy is that you should go to where you want to live, each site has just about the same opportunities. For example there is a site in Brooklyn that might work out for you.

For SOMA, rotations don't start in second year. Instead you get about 8 hours of clinical work a week for second year which can mean a lot of things, but mostly involve primary care.

there is a site in Brooklyn that might work out for you.

Thanks for the info!!! I think I missed that during the interview. As for the Brooklyn site, I'd rather not. If I'd want to stay in NY then I'd just go to NYCOM :)

Members don't see this ad :)

They give you about a month off to study for step one, but that's about it. They also matched + scrambled 100% of students into residencies from the class of 2013, which is above national average. I think the actual step one pass rate is on par with, or slightly lower than the national average.

They give you about a month off to study for step one, but that's about it. They also matched + scrambled 100% of students into residencies from the class of 2013, which is above national average. I think the actual step one pass rate is on par with, or slightly lower than the national average.

You're talking about SOMA, right?

This is really subjective, but if it were me, I'd choose SOMA. Sounds fun, plus Arizona is warm, nice, and I'm a fan of a change of scenario. That being said, make sure you're OK with the change, because they are completely different environments. New York is one of a kind though... decisions...

You're talking about SOMA, right?

This is really subjective, but if it were me, I'd choose SOMA. Sounds fun, plus Arizona is warm, nice, and I'm a fan of a change of scenario. That being said, make sure you're OK with the change, because they are completely different environments. New York is one of a kind though... decisions...

yes i'm talking about SOMA

Were you really accepted to SOMA? Their interview day was full of info (that you seem not to know) and when you are accepted you get access to even more info on the CHCs specifically. I'm just a bit skeptical is all.

But, if this is real, I'd say look at SOMAs curriculum. It's very very unique. If you like it, it's a great choice. I personally think its great but that's up to each person. Then, just decide if you want to stay in NY or not. If you read up on SOMA, though, you'll know that they have a CHC in Brooklyn. And a new one in DC.

Anyway, maybe some of that helps...I think you should research them both more on your own before deciding though

Were you really accepted to SOMA? Their interview day was full of info (that you seem not to know) and when you are accepted you get access to even more info on the CHCs specifically. I'm just a bit skeptical is all.

But, if this is real, I'd say look at SOMAs curriculum. It's very very unique. If you like it, it's a great choice. I personally think its great but that's up to each person. Then, just decide if you want to stay in NY or not. If you read up on SOMA, though, you'll know that they have a CHC in Brooklyn. And a new one in DC.

Anyway, maybe some of that helps...I think you should research them both more on your own before deciding though

Yes, I did...hence my dilemma. I know the interview day was full of info. But it was also very long and stressful. I wouldnt want the Brooklyn CHC because then I'd just go to NYCOM. The idea of going to SOMA was to get out of NY (change the scenery)...they actually gave me Ohio which isnt bad. And yeah I guess researching will do. I just have certain worries...like what % of students get the residency they want (you know, does a CHC in rural Ohio put you at a disadvantage when it comes to connections and recommendations?). Cause if it doesnt matter I might as well ask them to give me some exotic place like Hawaii :D I think its pretty reasonable to question the school on USMLE and COMLEX pass rates and on the % of students getting their first choice in residency.

Yes, I did...hence my dilemma. I know the interview day was full of info. But it was also very long and stressful. I wouldnt want the Brooklyn CHC because then I'd just go to NYCOM. The idea of going to SOMA was to get out of NY (change the scenery)...they actually gave me Ohio which isnt bad. And yeah I guess researching will do. I just have certain worries...like what % of students get the residency they want (you know, does a CHC in rural Ohio put you at a disadvantage when it comes to connections and recommendations?). Cause if it doesnt matter I might as well ask them to give me some exotic place like Hawaii :D I think its pretty reasonable to question the school on USMLE and COMLEX pass rates and on the % of students getting their first choice in residency.

Sigh....I am afraid this information is nearly impossible to find out for any school...as discussed to death in other threads.

That said, If i were you, i'd take SOMA over NYCOM. My intent is not to bash, but NYCOM seems to have some issues with their attrition rates.

NYCOM seems to have some issues with their attrition rates.

Deciding a school on attrition rate doesn't really do much for you. They also have a class of 300. Out of those 300, some people leave for various reason and some leave because they can't handle it. That is more on the student though. There isn't going to be one school that has some super curriculum that will make you smarter and retain the knowledge better. No matter what, it is all on YOU. A plus of NYCOM is that attendance is optional and the lectures are streamed. Watching 5 hours of lecture in 2.5 hours sounds pretty good to me. You get a ton more time to review material and study for boards.

I know nothing about the other school so I can't really say anything about it.

The more I read about SOMA the more intriguing it becomes.

…A plus of NYCOM is that attendance is optional and the lectures are streamed. Watching 5 hours of lecture in 2.5 hours sounds pretty good to me. You get a ton more time to review material and study for boards.

I know nothing about the other school so I can't really say anything about it.

SOMA attendance is optional and lectures are streamed as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
first of all:

school specific threads ------------------------------------------->

second:

I would pick SOMA. Their approach sounds very unique and despite getting in to my first choice I am actually kinda disappointed I never got an interview there to check it out.

first of all:

school specific threads ------------------------------------------->

second:

I would pick SOMA. Their approach sounds very unique and despite getting in to my first choice I am actually kinda disappointed I never got an interview there to check it out.

The clinical presentation model is one of a kind for DO schools so think long and hard about whether that's for you. I think it's a great method but know it isn't for everyone. You should be able to figure out whether this in combination with not having a traditional "campus" after first year matters to you

The clinical presentation model is one of a kind for DO schools so think long and hard about whether that's for you. I think it's a great method but know it isn't for everyone. You should be able to figure out whether this in combination with not having a traditional "campus" after first year matters to you
Clinical presentation method is the Miyagi method?

I have never heard of that term. Ever.
Maybe I'm just old...

Wax on, wax off. I thought it was a clever little joke on my end, but what I meant was...In the Karate Kid, Mr. Miyagi taught Daniel-san how to fight through seemingly mundane tasks, such as waxing a car or painting a fence.

I equated a little known reference (if you are younger than 30 :eek:) with what I thought would be a similar didactic method of learning through case study. The point being you are learning the science and art of medicine without realizing you are learning it.

Maybe I'm just old...

Wax on, wax off. I thought it was a clever little joke on my end, but what I meant was...In the Karate Kid, Mr. Miyagi taught Daniel-san how to fight through seemingly mundane tasks, such as waxing a car or painting a fence.

I equated a little known reference (if you are younger than 30 :eek:) with what I thought would be a similar didactic method of learning through case study. The point being you are learning the science and art of medicine without realizing you are learning it.

Oh, hah, sorry to kill your joke. I didn't quite make the age cut.

It isn't really case study though, it really is a unique form you probably haven't seen in any of the other curriculum since it's a stand alone style. Definitely worth exploring though. The faculty at SOMA say even though all doctor's ultimately problem solve in a similiar way regardless of where you go to school, this method is supposed to be help navigate the complexities of clinical practice early in our education and training before we have experience and ingrained knowledge to rely on.

Ok got ya.

Well, if its a vote, I put my support behind SOMA. I was super impressed by the school and atmosphere. Loved the CHC idea and think that your boards scores are up to you...you will be taught well enough just about anywhere.

I was given the Hawaii CHC, which I requested, because the Hawaii hospital has the most to offer for specializing. But, DC looked awesome, as did the Seattle and a couple others.

Even though Im going to end up at MUCOM, I think SOMA would have been a great choice too.

If any SOMA students have any CHC information please post...I'm personally most interested in Ohio and Hawaii (how are the clinics, the cost of living, the people, etc). Any info is helpful. There was a thread on this but its pretty much dead. Thanks

Ok got ya.

I was given the Hawaii CHC, which I requested, because the Hawaii hospital has the most to offer for specializing. But, DC looked awesome, as did the Seattle and a couple others.

too.

You think Hawaii is best for specializing? I ask because I was just thinking of calling SOMA and asking for Hawaii instead of Ohio. I'm a bit hesitant because I heard from the SOMA staff that Hawaii is the most expensive of the CHC sites. Its also in the middle of the pacific, so forget visiting your family very often. But then again, its Hawaii. I'd want a more laid-back site but good for specializing. You have any extra info on it?

Ok got ya.

Well, if its a vote, I put my support behind SOMA. I was super impressed by the school and atmosphere. Loved the CHC idea and think that your boards scores are up to you...you will be taught well enough just about anywhere.

Even though Im going to end up at MUCOM, I think SOMA would have been a great choice too.

what's the rationale behind this?

You think Hawaii is best for specializing? I ask because I was just thinking of calling SOMA and asking for Hawaii instead of Ohio. I'm a bit hesitant because I heard from the SOMA staff that Hawaii is the most expensive of the CHC sites. Its also in the middle of the pacific, so forget visiting your family very often. But then again, its Hawaii. I'd want a more laid-back site but good for specializing. You have any extra info on it?

Well, there is a long answer to this that Im too tired to give...but the short answer is that the CHC in Hawaii has the hospital with the most specialties in house. But, there are other great CHCs with great hospitals too. After my research I felt that it was in the top 3 of SOMAs CHCs for specializing, and I didnt want to live in NY.

what's the rationale behind this?

no rationale, just comparing the teaching hospitals at the CHCs in SOMAs network. Feel free to look them up if you are interested.

Well, there is a long answer to this that Im too tired to give...but the short answer is that the CHC in Hawaii has the hospital with the most specialties in house. But, there are other great CHCs with great hospitals too. After my research I felt that it was in the top 3 of SOMAs CHCs for specializing, and I didnt want to live in NY.

no rationale, just comparing the teaching hospitals at the CHCs in SOMAs network. Feel free to look them up if you are interested.

So this only applies to the last 2 years? or are you living in Hawaii for all 4 years? In which case I'm willing to sleep with the ADCOM to get an acceptance...

So this only applies to the last 2 years? or are you living in Hawaii for all 4 years? In which case I'm willing to sleep with the ADCOM to get an acceptance...

You're living in HI (or wherever you end up for CHC) the last 3 years.

1st year is in Mesa

2nd year is at CHC, but you finish up remaining didactics not covered in 1st year; and you spend 8 hrs/week in clinical setting, basically practicing your Physical Exam and History taking skills (which you were taught 1st year). You are not starting rotations, which is a common myth I see here on SDN.

3rd year is at CHC (or sites nearby) for rotations

4th year is at CHC (and/or audition sites) for rotations.

Go to the cheaper school, and to the school you will be happier at. Picture where you see yourself studying better and being happy at.

NYCOM's attrition rate IS a problem. They are jerks. Someone's parent died this year and instead of working with the student, the school told the student they had to make up all of the missed exams in a span of a week, or face dismissal. The student asked, may I just re-take what I need at the end of the year? Summer? (As many NORMAL schools would do--they work with the student and aim to keep the student, especially during such an extenuating circumstance. Most schools don't just kick a student to the curb....well, NYCOM does just that, and forced the student to retake everything they missed in a few days..I mean, for crying out loud their parent died, but nope, NYCOM does not care). The student was dismissed because it was impossible to make up 2-3 weeks worth of material.

Really, it's all up to your grades and your boards in terms of your success, it's on you...but def. go to the school where you will be happy and there is a support system. NYCOM's administration is terrible and they won't give a crap about you. If SOMA is where you will be happier at they actually care about their students, go there.

As you can read below (SLC is a current SOMA student, btw) SOMA has a unique curriculum.

First year is about 11 months, and covers most of the basic sciences. Then, you have years 2-4 at your CHC. Pretty cool idea.

You're living in HI (or wherever you end up for CHC) the last 3 years.

1st year is in Mesa

2nd year is at CHC, but you finish up remaining didactics not covered in 1st year; and you spend 8 hrs/week in clinical setting, basically practicing your Physical Exam and History taking skills (which you were taught 1st year). You are not starting rotations, which is a common myth I see here on SDN.

3rd year is at CHC (or sites nearby) for rotations

4th year is at CHC (and/or audition sites) for rotations.

As you can read below (SLC is a current SOMA student, btw) SOMA has a unique curriculum.

First year is about 11 months, and covers most of the basic sciences. Then, you have years 2-4 at your CHC. Pretty cool idea.

not true. SOMA presents material in a system based manner, so basic science is dispersed throughout first and second year.

not true. SOMA presents material in a system based manner, so basic science is dispersed throughout first and second year.

True, but most of the foundational concepts are learned in 1st year, 2nd year is light on new material; it's mostly just application of the same principles to different systems.

First year at SOMA is super intense.

so you think second year is better? How many hours of podcast per week?

Depends on the course. Heme was a killer, sometimes 30+ lectures, but still only 20-30 hours of total lecture time (or 10-15 since I double speed everything). What make it so tough IMO was that it was 6 weeks long, studying for that final was brutal.

We're in mind (psych) right now, and I'd say we're averaging probably between 5-8 hours of lecture per week. All of it super simple, and very well done too.

The only hard part about 2nd year (again IMO) is making sure you stay ahead of the material. There are no lectures to attend, you have to watch them on your own. It's super easy to go take a hike somewhere, or spend the day at the beach etc telling yourself that you'll get caught up later in the week. But small group cases are still there every week, and the material builds up quickly if you slack off.

If you can stay productive, 2nd year is not as difficult as 1st year, or at least it shouldn't be.

SOMA is officially my top choice now. Hawaii for 3 years? I'M IN LOVE!

Hmmm. Nice weather year round/beautiful natural landscapes, clean, and low cost of living. Or dirty expensive New York??

I would choose SOMA. I left their interview day totally understanding what the school was all about. Definitely the most informative and enjoyable interview I attended. While, I loved the interview day, and I feel I left there knowing more about the school than any other school, that actually helped me decide go elsewhere in the end. I loved the school but it just wasn't for me.

In my opinion SOMA is a better option than NYCOM, I picked SOMA over 4 other schools...so I had to do A LOT of research...

Hawaii is expensive yo

From what I've been reading on forums online, everyone says the cost of living is ridiculous...but I live in Queens, New York now...compared to this, I wonder if its cheaper or more expensive. I mean, I'll be by myself. Probably split a house with the other students. I think if you manage yourself you can make it livable

Hmmm. Nice weather year round/beautiful natural landscapes, clean, and low cost of living. Or dirty expensive New York??

I def want to leave NY. But from what I've been reading Hawaii isnt all amazing sunshine. Apparently its expensive (still cheaper than NY I think but idk). It has huuuuuuge centipedes, cockroaches and spiders (yikesss!) and apparently the locals dont like white people that much. Plus Waianae is not really a nice wealthy part of Hawaii, its actually in a poorer part. But who knows? Forums usually exaggerate (just like SDN) :laugh:

I def want to leave NY. But from what I've been reading Hawaii isnt all amazing sunshine. Apparently its expensive (still cheaper than NY I think but idk). It has huuuuuuge centipedes, cockroaches and spiders (yikesss!) and apparently the locals dont like white people that much. Plus Waianae is not really a nice wealthy part of Hawaii, its actually in a poorer part. But who knows? Forums usually exaggerate (just like SDN) :laugh:

Arizona is not much better, like my classmates say, every living thing here in the desert is trying to kill you.

Can't comment on the wildlife, but I think HI is cheaper than Manhattan, more like a hybrid of L.A. or S.F. for real-estate, and Alaska for comodities. I.E. it might not more expensive than NYC, but it's probably close.

Waianae is poorer, but my classmates seem to have found nice places to live out there, plus it's a small island, it's not like you couldn't live closer to Honolulu if you really wanted to.

Last edited:
Arizona is not much better, like my classmates say, every living thing here in the desert is trying to kill you.

Everything is trying to kill you, living or not. One of the scarier experiences I've had was seeing the huge summer 2011 Haboob bearing down on me while I was running for my car.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/06/phoenix-dust-storm-photos-video_n_891157.html

But yeah, you learn quick that everything alive has venom, teeth, claws, stingers, or spines. Or some ungodly combination of all 5.

Everything is trying to kill you, living or not. One of the scarier experiences I've had was seeing the huge summer 2011 Haboob bearing down on me while I was running for my car.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/06/phoenix-dust-storm-photos-video_n_891157.html

But yeah, you learn quick that everything alive has venom, teeth, claws, stingers, or spines. Or some ungodly combination of all 5.

:laugh: Wowzer! at the haboob. But for the critters, how do you deal with em? I mean people just live with it, I guess you get used to it right? They probably dont attack you unless you mess with them...or do you go all out with the Raid? :D

Can't comment on the wildlife, but I think HI is cheaper than Manhattan, more like a hybrid of L.A. or S.F. for real-estate, and Alaska for comodities. I.E., if it's not more expensive than NYC, it's probably close.

Waianae is poorer, but my classmates seem to have found nice places to live out there, plus it's a small island, it's not like you couldn't live closer to Honolulu if you really wanted to.

I was thinking it'd be around there. I ask because I probably wont work during med school (I'd rather study my brains out and get good grades) so I'll rely on my family for financial assistance. Just dont want to be too much of a parasite. But thanks for the info! By the way, can you tell me more about your classmate's experience? Thanks!

:laugh: Wowzer! at the haboob. But for the critters, how do you deal with em? I mean people just live with it, I guess you get used to it right? They probably dont attack you unless you mess with them...or do you go all out with the Raid? :D

You don't sit on the grass for long (found out the hard way on the 4th of July fireworks show with my kids), or the ants will sting you.

You get a blacklight to check for Scorpions, I advise pairing that with a tack hammer. Every night I went out and checked around the outside of the house, and smashed any I found. Once I started doing that, I stopped seeing them inside. :eek:

You spray (or have your landlord spray) for crickets and cockroaches, which are everywhere at night, to help cut them down at your house (they're little more than scorpion food, which means more scorpions).

Other than that, the critters pretty much leave you alone unless you bother them.

I should say that I thought Gilbert was AWESOME! And I will probably move back there when all is said and done. Can't beat the combo of weather, quiet/safe city, proximity to major metro area.

Last edited: