Atsu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MLL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this thing but just wondered if anyone new anything about the DPT program at AT Still University in Mesa, AZ. I am thinking about applying there for next year and just wanted to get some feedback on the quality of the program.

Members don't see this ad.

ATSU has a pretty rounded program as far as I can tell. I was accepted there during this round of applications. ATSU will cost about $25,000/ yr. out of state and the area is an OVEN! Right now the program is in a bit of a transition as they are offering students an opportunity to take a research- based track or evidence-based track during the last year of their education. Also, most of the time, the student does not get to choose where they do cliinicals. You can put in requests but the program does much of the choosing. Having a family, this was a little bit of a drawback for me. They offer volunteer experiences in a free clinic in Mexico and since they are part of the oldest D.O. school in the nation, they stay up with manipulative and therapeutic research which is a plus. The school is small but there is plenty to do if you can stand the heat!

All in all I like ASHS and I would recommend applying there. However, it all depends on where you are, how much you are willing to spend, and what you want from your education.

McFLojo has some good points.

I actually grew up and went to high school in Mesa, about 20 minutes from ATSU. The area around there is very nice. Many places to live at an affordable price, low crime rate, close to the freeway and shopping malls and other outlets.

When I took a tour, about a year ago, the facilities were amazing. They must spend a ton on their equipment because it really is state-of-the-art. Also, I am not sure if they have done so already, but they were talking about building a Retirement community and a YMCA pretty much on the campus. This would provide many additional "clinical" settings very close to the program that could be incorporated into curriculum.

As McFlojo mentioned, the tuition is kinda steep. However, it is a private school and I believe the tuition is the same whether you are in or out-of-state. One of my peers in undergrad just started the program this year and he seems to like it.

One drawback I see to the program, which some may not agree is a drawback, is that I feel the faculty almost praises their students too much. It seems from my time observing in multiple PT settings, when an ATSU student comes for a rotation, they literally walk around thinking they "know it all". One of their students was actually Failed and kicked out of his rotation during his last week because he was a pompous, arrogant person who thought being with his CI (who was awesome) was a waste of his time.

Maybe I just saw a select few of their students and am making an unjust assumption, who knows. Take it for what it is and do what you feel is best for your education and career as a PT.

Any other specific questions about the area, just PM me.