Attack BS and PS like Verbal? Strategy help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorLacrosse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am currently signed up for the July 2nd MCAT, and will be taking practice tests up to that point to prepare. My verbal has honestly been my strongest by a long shot even though I haven't really worked at it, and I am grateful for that, but my sciences are lacking way more than I ever would have expected them to.

My question is, should I attack the PS and BS sections like the Verbal section? To elaborate, should I carefully read all of the passages before answering the questions? I ask because I feel as though I run out of time on PS, but BS I often can find the answers right in the passage, so it could help a lot. What is the general consensus?

I also worry that my content knowledge could be the thing to blame, in which case I may end up having to void this exam and reschedule, which would suck. Any strategy or general tips would be great. Thanks to all, and good luck to those testing soon!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that for PS it's more about content and yes there are a few answers(conceptual maybe) in the passage. But really you need to know what formula to use and how to use it in the right context. So take a test and see where you are lacking and review that content till you know it like the back of your hand.

For BS you are right it is more about interpretation and knowing how to extract information from charts/graphs/experiments which comes again with practice. Maybe try TBR for that or TPRH workbook. Ochem is just basic knowledge of acidity/conjugation/stereochemistry, etc. (I would go from the AAMC topic list just to be sure)

To really gauge where you are take a test and see where you need improvement. I think if your content is solid you have enough time to prepare for July second. If you aren't applying this cycle there is even more time (Aug. Sept so don't really stress) :)

Reactions: 1 user
I think that for PS it's more about content and yes there are a few answers(conceptual maybe) in the passage. But really you need to know what formula to use and how to use it in the right context. So take a test and see where you are lacking and review that content till you know it like the back of your hand.

For BS you are right it is more about interpretation and knowing how to extract information from charts/graphs/experiments which comes again with practice. Maybe try TBR for that or TPRH workbook. Ochem is just basic knowledge of acidity/conjugation/stereochemistry, etc. (I would go from the AAMC topic list just to be sure)

To really gauge where you are take a test and see where you need improvement. I think if your content is solid you have enough time to prepare for July second. If you aren't applying this cycle there is even more time (Aug. Sept so don't really stress) :)

thanks for the helpful reply!

to clarify, you think I should skip right to the questions for PS and only refer to the passage if necessary, but treat BS like VR?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the helpful reply!

to clarify, you think I should skip right to the questions for PS and only refer to the passage if necessary, but treat BS like VR?

yes! I very rarely read the PS passages unless there's an experiment or a graph involved.

great question; im starting to think verbal strategies are more applicable to PS/BS than one might think

I am interested as well. As I actually do well in verbal and not as well in BS/PS. If I could somehow translate some of that skill, it would aid me greatly.

Would you elaborate? Which verbal strategy are you referring to? Seems interesting to me. Thanks

I am interested as well. As I actually do well in verbal and not as well in BS/PS. If I could somehow translate some of that skill, it would aid me greatly.

I don't exactly understand what the two of you are asking. I use my verbal methodology (in my signature), because I think that Science passage Qs and Verbal Qs are eerily similar :)

{that is - they demand quite a bit of deductive reasoning}

I don't really have a strategy for verbal, I just do what feels natural. I just read it, look at the question. I always knock two off right away, usually say something in my head like (he/she never said that in the passage, false).

And then I'm left with two options. I then try to think of how one is semantically wrong or too extreme. If both options survive this, I return to the passage and try to use the important things I highlighted to justify one over the other.

I try to just use what I read, and no opinion from myself whatsoever.

And it works well for me. But in the PS/BS sections, I rarely can eliminate multiple options, because the info I need may already be in my brain, and may not relate directly to the passage. I'm not just using the passage, but my memories of what I learned.

Which is where it gets tricky, because my memory isn't perfect.

Last edited:
It depends on the section. I find PS to be the most content based (and most able to brute strength it), so I would almost say with pure content alone, you might be able to score 10-12. I'm starting to believe that 12+ however, requires strategies based off of the VR section. For BS, I find that it's VERY similar to VR in its logic/strategies, but requires familiarity with scientific literature and thinking on top of that. With pure content, you might be able to brute strength it to a 10-11 if you don't have much background/experience with scientific literature. Take it to 12 if you do.

I do find that my VR errors are almost exactly identical to my BS and some PS errors! In other words, the traps I fall for in VR (like, one word being a disqualifier,etc) is what I fall for in the PS/BS sections as well. I ended up getting a tutor to help me with these "strategies", and she sort of agreed that brute content knowledge will probably allow people to get in the low 30's, whereas it's refining the test-taking skills/reasoning/deduction that gets you to the mid 30's. Although, if you're scoring 12+ on VR consistently, it's probably not a test-taking/reasoning issue, since 12+ in VR probably means you've got those skills down pat.

First thing I would try to do is figure out if it's a content thing or a strategy thing.