Attaining In-State residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riskhk

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
a lot of state schools guarantee it for out-of-state students by your second year. You should just ask them.

I've found just the opposite to be true with undergrad, but I can see how professional/graduate would be different (in which case, I need to figure out how to get my in-state next year). When I was at MSU, they wanted me to be in-state for reasons OTHER than higher education for one year and then I could be in-state in the school's eyes. That meant taking a year off of school and was not an option, but I finally got them on some obscure technicality and they gave me retro-active in-state (after 1.5 years). The best way would be either to ask the school or just make no mention of out of state from the beginning, but once you ask the school, they probably look pretty closely at your app. Good luck, I know that it saves a ton of money, but I don't see why they would be so anxious to give students in-state when they're making so much money off of them.

Jd

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that it's totally possible to gain state residency after one year - I did it here in Louisiana so I could take some classes at LSU. You just have to provide a lot of proof. If you move to Maryland, register to vote there, get a driver's license there, register your car there, make sure the lease is in your name, keep all of your utility bills (a year's worth)... it may not work in Maryland, though - people aren't exactly the brightest here in good 'ole Louisiana... :laugh:

I hope so! It will save me in 11,000 in tuition each year.

Honestly I don't understand how some schools (UOP) can charge 37,000 just on tuition. And of all places they are located in Stockton.!

yes sir
ridiculous

If a school tells you that you can gain residency after one year, read the fine print. Sometimes that means you can gain residency after living there for a year before enrolling. I tried to gain residency as an undergrad and failed, even though I had a driver's license, voter registration, car registration, bank accounts, and a job in that state and paid state income taxes. The reason for denial was that I had not lived there for a year prior to beginning classes. Thus, I could not prove that I had moved to the state for any reason other than to attend school or that I planned to stay there after graduation (I do).

Know the state's residency requirements before you plan on attending the school.

sigh... i figured i can't earn 15000 a year ...so I'm not going to Maryland. UOP will end up to be the same cost as Maryland and Ill finish in 3 years. I can just spend another 3 years at any other law school and it will still take the same time.

Yeah more than likely.

NICE

Good decision. If you want to get back here, from keiki's post it looks like it's better to stay here.