Attend same DPT school where you get undergrad degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAphanatic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if DPT programs look favorably or possibly even offer "bonus points" to an application if they attended their school as an undergrad? I think I read somewhere on the Sacramento State website that they do, but now I can't find it. Do any other schools do this? Is there a list somewhere? Specifically California schools since I am a California resident and this is where I will more than likely attend school. I'm only a freshmen at a community college, just wondering if I should be weighing some schools more heavily than others when I make the decision to transfer in another year or so...

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Concentrate on getting good grades so such trivial things don't matter. If it is part of some schools' equation for acceptance, it will be very minor.

Dpt is a professional degree if I'm not mistaken. Graduate schools want their student to have an outside perspective and bring fresh insight into their lab settings. This is what I have noticed and experienced myself. I'm pretty sure dpt programs just want you to be able to get through the program, are a good fit and pay up. You typically attend a PhD program for zero dollars in tuition and 20k min stipedend in exchange for your time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hurr durr. Thus my caveat.

You would think. I imagine it varies widely from program to program. The closest approximation I can think of is that of "in-state vs out-of-state" acceptance ratio. Naturally, it's quite possible to get a degree, leave, gain citizenship elsewhere, and return for grad school. I imagine this also varies widely with public vs private. Public schools have more rigid admissions parameters that are influenced by demographic quotas in most states.
bubbadoo what u doing teddy bear

I don't understand the replies to this thread at all, but to answer the OP's question, no I don't think it will make a great deal of difference. Perhaps if you were able to get a great LOR from someone at the university that was well known to the PT faculty there that might help a tad, but don't bank on it being a big deal where you went to undergrad.