Attending Graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering not attending my school's graduation for financial reasons (Seems a waste of money to spend a few thousands of dollars having friends and family come over and also waste money on hotel fees).

Can someone give me some reasons why I should attend? Has there been a time where professionally, not attending your graduation and thus not taking graduation photos been detrimental to your career? Any other thoughts or advice are welcome. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This will have zero impact on your career. The only thing you will miss is a final 30 minute lecture on how clinical pharmacy/provider status is the "wave of the future."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Attending graduation has zero impact on your career, but I'm still glad I went. That was the last time I saw many of my RX school friends face to face and I'm glad to have those memories.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's a good idea to consider some other factors, including the wishes if your parents. If you were like me... son of man who was once imprisoned and tortured by the Vietnamese communists and whose children were denied an education because that was "the way of the revolution"... you simply cannot skip your graduation. As much as I wanted to skip, I didn't because my father wanted to be there. It was a symbolic moment of victory over communists. Furthermore, I am the youngest child... the last one to finish school. It was mark a of completion; that my mother and father completed their task parents.

Reactions: 8 users
I think it's a good idea to consider some other factors, including the wishes if your parents. If you were like me... son of man who was once imprisoned and tortured by the Vietnamese communists and whose children were denied an education because that was "the way of the revolution"... you simply cannot skip your graduation. As much as I wanted to skip, I didn't because my father wanted to be there. It was a symbolic moment of victory over communists. Furthermore, I am the youngest child... the last one to finish school. It was mark a of completion; that my mother and father completed their task parents.

That's a good point. My family's story isn't nearly as dramatic as yours, but education is very important to us and I was the first person in my family to get a doctorate. My folks would never forgive me if I skipped the ceremony!

I went to both my hooding and university graduation, the events were pretty cool but I did not spend anywhere close to $1,000 since my family was all within driving distance. The university graduation was neat because I was the absolute last person up on the stage out of a class size around 2000 students.

I skipped my college graduation and have no regrets, but I also hated my undergrad with a passion.

I'd probably go to pharmacy for the sake of my parents wanting to attend, plus I like the school and it's more of a milestone than undergrad. It's still not that big of a deal... my grandparents wouldn't show up even if I invited them.

My school has the option to skip graduation and then they mail you your diploma. My friend who recently graduated only had to pay $50 to get it mailed to him instead of $150 to have to wear his cap and gown. What's so great about walking across the stage? Nothing. Everyone still has to pass the boards.

How does your dad feel now, seeing that the Enemy is now over here?

Keep in mind one of the candidates has everybody's control file. Why do you think so many whistleblowers are coming out now? They know once this creature is in, there will be a purge of the white hats.

Yes, you are going to the graduation ceremony more for you family than anyone else (and to say goodbye to your classmates if you are sentimental....even if you promise to keep in touch with them, chances are you won't see any of them again until your 25th class reunion.) You are spending the money on a celebration, same reason people send way to much money on wedding receptions. But you can get married in a courthouse, or skip your graduation, and nobody will care except your friends and family (and they will quickly forgive you and won't even remember in a year or two.)

i went to the university graduation b/c thats when my families could make it. they couldn't come in time to the college graduation and so i didnt go. but if u could, i don't see why u wouldn't? and where did u get the thousands of dollars from? they just need to be there n take some photos. walk around a park. more photos. and dinner.

Members don't see this ad :)
The university graduation was neat because I was the absolute last person up on the stage out of a class size around 2000 students.

In a class of 2,000, there wasn't anyone whose last name came alphabetically after Wario? What are the odds of that? :p

Reactions: 4 users
i went to the university graduation b/c thats when my families could make it. they couldn't come in time to the college graduation and so i didnt go. but if u could, i don't see why u wouldn't? and where did u get the thousands of dollars from? they just need to be there n take some photos. walk around a park. more photos. and dinner.

I would guess the thousands of dollars accrued in travel expenses and accommodations.

We had to attend graduation to get our diplomas

Do it. You can get one last look into the eyes of your colleagues before they all become enemies and rivals in the workforce.

At UIC, you didn't even get your diploma at graduation. You got an empty holder and the university mailed it out nearly 2 months later.

I would guess the thousands of dollars accrued in travel expenses and accommodations.

Exactly so. Couple flights from California (3-4), couple nights of hotel, meals out and celebration, and it all adds up!

Definitely go! I remember being pretty burnt out/fed up with the school constantly scamming me. Graduation was nice because it kinda reminds you what you put all the work in for. Plus that picture of you and 30 of your friends gowned up is priceless and something I'll always remember.

So it sounds like going to graduation would be for personal reasons, celebration, and sentiment. Looks like it has very little impact (if any) on your future career?

No impact on career, if you/your family can't afford it, don't worry about it.

My fam spent a good couple thousand to hoof it cross-country and we turned it into an extended trip to Canada.

I wanted to skip it and go home but, you know, eldest kid w/ a doctorate degree? Yah right, they'd have hitchhiked across the country to see that. Plus if you're going to be around anyway, it was kinda fun seeing your friends all dressed up...after all the parent dinners and stuff we went out drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Who on earth spends "a few thousand dollars" to go to a graduation? You're doing it wrong. Go to graduation. Get a cheap hotel for the night so your folks can see you walk the stage. Let them cheer for you. Get a beer afterwards. Enjoy being a college graduate.

Reactions: 2 users
Who on earth spends "a few thousand dollars" to go to a graduation? You're doing it wrong. Go to graduation. Get a cheap hotel for the night so your folks can see you walk the stage. Let them cheer for you. Get a beer afterwards. Enjoy being a college graduate.

Plane tickets for 4 people round trip from halfway across the country, say, California to Minnesota easily costs around $1500
Hotel fees (need at least 2 rooms for working adults) for 3 days easily $600
Eating $40/person per day around $160*3 days = $480
Other expenses not foreseeable (well I can foresee some alcohol...) $100-$500?

Easily at least $2,000.

I guess this also depends, are you the oldest or youngest? Only child in your family?

If you're the only child, do it for your parents.

Plane tickets for 4 people round trip from halfway across the country, say, California to Minnesota easily costs around $1500
Hotel fees (need at least 2 rooms for working adults) for 3 days easily $600
Eating $40/person per day around $160*3 days = $480
Other expenses not foreseeable (well I can foresee some alcohol...) $100-$500?

Easily at least $2,000.

Why are you buying everyone else's plane tickets and hotel rooms? They're grownups; if they really want to attend they can pay for it themselves. (And if they're children, they'll be bored to death and should stay home.) My spouse's family wanted to come to my graduation and I said, "Great, see you there!" and that was it. They didn't ask us to pay their travel expenses, but if they did we'd have told them, "Sorry, can't afford it."

Why are you buying everyone else's plane tickets and hotel rooms? They're grownups; if they really want to attend they can pay for it themselves. (And if they're children, they'll be bored to death and should stay home.) My spouse's family wanted to come to my graduation and I said, "Great, see you there!" and that was it. They didn't ask us to pay their travel expenses, but if they did we'd have told them, "Sorry, can't afford it."

You make some good points but for close family my money is their money (and vice versa).

You make some good points but for close family my money is their money (and vice versa).

If I were you, I'd shut that down right now or else they'll be doing this for the rest of your life. Maybe it's just because I have a few deadbeats in my family, but I'm not at all OK with the idea of bailing everyone else out of their financial mistakes. I love my family and I'd help them if it was an emergency, but for other stuff? Sorry, but I won't give them money for the same reason the bank won't: they don't use it wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you happen to be in a specific university in the Midwest that has a burrowing rodent as a mascot (cough, cough), you'd wouldn't be alone, and honestly, it's hard to get the faculty to go to commencement from the couple of times I had to go as a grad student (the school has a reputation for getting really lousy speakers). You wouldn't be missing a thing. In the old days, the bigger parties were held with Hong Kong Noodle rented out completely by the Asian PharmD and grad students (the food and the company are charming) and the frats at Gastof's and not the graduation itself.

My immediate family went to my graduation (I really didn't want to go myself), but they didn't have to travel (on faculty as well in one case). However, there's a tradition in my family to never celebrate graduation until licensure as the celebration is considered premature otherwise.

I probably haven't looked at my diploma since I received it, and am not even wurse where it is.

I probably haven't looked at my diploma since I received it, and am not even wurse where it is.

Yeah, I framed my California license, residency certificate, and BCPS certificate....and my undergraduate degree (top 50 school, really nice diploma, ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER's signature on it, hell yeah). For some reason, never got around to framing my PharmD diploma. Go figure.

Wait. Wurse? How did that come from "sure"? I'm not SURE where it is.

My 3 state licenses are definitely framed, and have been packed in a storage tote since I retired in 2012, and I DO know where that one is. They're still valid, however. :)

I am considering not attending my school's graduation for financial reasons (Seems a waste of money to spend a few thousands of dollars having friends and family come over and also waste money on hotel fees).

Can someone give me some reasons why I should attend? Has there been a time where professionally, not attending your graduation and thus not taking graduation photos been detrimental to your career? Any other thoughts or advice are welcome. Thank you!

Graduation is not about you but about those who put up with your nonsense through pharmacy school; those who wanted to see you and you didn't have time; those who told you you could do it. Don't be a selfish *sshole and go to your graduation.

Graduation is not about you but about those who put up with your nonsense through pharmacy school; those who wanted to see you and you didn't have time; those who told you you could do it. Don't be a selfish *sshole and go to your graduation.

With that kind of attitude I'd be convinced for sure right?