Attending medical school in New Zealand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmk64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a US citizen who has a few medical school acceptances for next fall...however, I am really really interested in moving to New Zealand ASAP. Yeah it's weird timing but hey.

Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow start the medical school and residency process next year if I were to move to New Zealand this year? Do they accept foreign students? Maybe that fact that I was accepted in the US could help me out a bit? I have a BS and MS degree

I know it's probably easier to just become a physician here and then move, but if there's even a remote chance of doing what I proposed I am willing to try!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I did exactly what you are proposing to do 6 years ago after I had been accepted into school in the US too. I went to the University of Auckland so it is definitely possible. The only thing I have to say is that the price of med school over here these days is really crazy now. When I first came here it was only 36,000 NZ and the exchange rate was like 55 cents to the dollar. I think it is now around 60,000 with an exchange rate of around 76 cents. You might have just missed the deadline for applying in order to start in February 2011 but it wouldn't hurt to just get on their website and see if you can still apply www.auckland.ac.nz. It will be more of a pain if you do come over here and plan on going back home, but it's definitely possible. One of my buddies went back earlier in the year to do a residency in Denver after we graduated in November. I myself have just been too lazy to actually take all the USMLE steps, plus life as a doctor over here isn't too bad either. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions about any of this. Oh and by the way school will be 5 years long (6 year degree but you will surely get to skip the 1st year with your prior degrees).
Cheers,
Jen

Greens,

I'm a U.S. citizen and I am wanting to study medicine in New Zealand at the University of Auckland. I was wondering what the admissions process is like? Their website didn't seem to be too clear on it or perhaps I just didn't find the right place. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
Basically when I applied back in 2004, I sent them my highschool transcript, SAT/ACT scores, College Transcripts, MCAT scores, resume and can't remember if I wrote a paper or not. I then received info that I had been accepted for an interview a few months later and the interview was a phone based interview (I guess since NZ is so far away they don't expect us to have to fly over there just for an interview). When I applied the application process was free. I also wasn't 100% sure what to send so I just basically sent everything. I believe there might have been two different applications as well. One specifically for medical school and one general Auckland Uni application. But it really was a longtime ago that I did this and I really don't remember all the details.
Cheers,
Jen

Are MD degrees in Australia/New Zealand transferrable/comparable to Canadian degrees? ie: Are they recognized the same way?

No, not in any way, only LCME-accredited MD degrees are recognized in Canada. You are still an IMG if you graduated from Australia/NZ.