Attending salary structure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDudeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone comment on their experiences with different salary structures and what they prefer?

1-Flat salary with no bonus.
2-Base salary + incentive bonus
3-Hourly rate

Because I'm looking into full time positions, it seems like 1 and 2 are more common. #1 tends to start with a higher salary. #2 will have a lower base (sometimes significantly lower), but the potential to earn as much or even more than what's offered in #1.

It looks like #1 would be the safest especially if the workload and expectations are predictable. Although #2 can be tempting with the potential salary..

Speaking of bonuses, every program seems to have their own setup. Some will look at meeting quality metrics, good timely documentation, RVUs. Others will consider the revenue that you are pulling in and allow you to get back x% of the revenue. This is all too new to me. Hoping someone can shed some light on their experiences.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone comment on their experiences with different salary structures and what they prefer?

1-Flat salary with no bonus.
2-Base salary + incentive bonus
3-Hourly rate

Because I'm looking into full time positions, it seems like 1 and 2 are more common. #1 tends to start with a higher salary. #2 will have a lower base (sometimes significantly lower), but the potential to earn as much or even more than what's offered in #1.

It looks like #1 would be the safest especially if the workload and expectations are predictable. Although #2 can be tempting with the potential salary..

Speaking of bonuses, every program seems to have their own setup. Some will look at meeting quality metrics, good timely documentation, RVUs. Others will consider the revenue that you are pulling in and allow you to get back x% of the revenue. This is all too new to me. Hoping someone can shed some light on their experiences.

Thanks!

Some thoughs:
Ask what the average pay for the base salary + incentives is for someone just out of training.

Revenue is only as good as your payor mix. Different physicians in the same practice but at different locations can have vastly different incomes if much of their salary is based on revenue and their payor mix is different.

What is the turnover for each job?

How tough is the non-compete?