Attending the ASA conference as a 4th year student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumnwoods

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a new 4th year student applying for gas next year and was recently informed about the ASA conference in New Orleans this year. I'd like to attend and was told there was the possibility of a "meet and greet" of some of the program directors. Anyone think they got a interview at a program due to the conference? I believe I'm a competitive applicant, but unfortunately carry the Carrib stigma (limiting my interview chances). Any advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No prob. I did hand out a couple of resumes. So basically it's a very big room with tables set up by the different programs. You walk around and stop at the ones that interest you. There were a ton of programs so I recommend being strategic and not wasting time on programs you already have an interview at or are not interested in. And remember to dress professionally.

No prob. I did hand out a couple of resumes. So basically it's a very big room with tables set up by the different programs. You walk around and stop at the ones that interest you. There were a ton of programs so I recommend being strategic and not wasting time on programs you already have an interview at or are not interested in. And remember to dress professionally.

Perfect. Thanks for the info! I assume you mean a suit?

i too attended would highly recommend attending for any 4th year interested in anesthesia. I think the most important part is sending a customized follow-up email asap, something short maybe about the conversation you guys had so they can put a face to the email. There are a ton of kids who attend and im sure a ton who send follow up emails. I got at least 4-6 interviews out of this and would highly recommend anyone considering it despite the cost of attending.

What do you usually say to them? Basically that you applied to this program and give him your resume?