Attention Slow Talkers - Interview Research Paper that got me in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shtumpa

Juggler
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
n=1, but interested to hear if anyone can relate to this:

So first time around I got 4 interviews but no acceptances. I had worked hard on preparing for the interview and got multiple people to give me mock interviews and give me advice [some who did not know me]. I was consistently praised for speaking methodically and not having speaking fillers ["uh" "you know" etc...].

No acceptances.

Second time around I came across the following research article [forbes] that studied interviews and came to an interesting conclusion - the only things that mattered were:

1) Speech Rate
2) Assertiveness

So this year I forgot all about everything except I made sure to speak pretty quickly and forcefully. Found myself "Umming" all over the place and blanking out on words which I felt really awkward about...but suddenly interviews are translating into acceptances! Nice.

Of course it is possible that there is no real correlation and it was just by chance. I did not really enhance my resume in a meaningful way over the year [worked 50-60 hours a week in non-related field]

I don't think the research is very conclusive [limited age group, location, interviewer careers/positions, etc...] but it worked for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Worked for me in my interviews. I noticed that I spoke quite quickly in my interviews and got in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assertiveness shows confidence so that makes sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Assertiveness shows confidence so that makes sense.

Funny thing is I FELT much less confident...I think this is Tony Robbin's secret. I once heard him say absolutely nothing for 20 minutes in machine gun rapid fire and people were having orgasms...

Reactions: 1 user