Attire / Suit for Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myro

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking online to buy a tailored suit and have come by a couple of sites. Has anyone ordered a suit online? If so, any advice on the following places?

Indochino (I've heard good and bad)
Thick as Thieves (Have heard some good reviews)
Knot Standard (Just found out about them, no idea)

Would this option be ok or would it be better to buy in store? I am looking at $500 max for a suit. (tailoring included)

Thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

I've been looking online to buy a tailored suit and have come by a couple of sites. Has anyone ordered a suit online? If so, any advice on the following places?

Would this option be ok or would it be better to buy in store? I am looking at $500 max for a suit. (tailoring included)

Thanks for any help

I don't have any answers to your specific questions (though I was REALLY close to buying an Indochino suit....) but there is a ton of information in some of the old interview clothing threads:

2011: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842733
2010: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=731757
2008: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552578

wow, thanks for those links. I've got a lot of searching to do!

May I ask why you didn't go through with the Indochino suit and what you decided on instead? Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you live in the middle of nowhere? You can get a good suit for $500 or less in a store you go to. Then you don't have to risk having any problems online. But I suppose if you do it right you would be ok.

I assume you already know your suit sizes? If not, buying one online is a pretty bad idea IMO.

If this is your first suit, I would recommend going to a store..

If this is your first suit, I would recommend going to a store..

...yeah. If you haven't bought a suit in a while (i.e., the last year or two), you should DEFINITELY be going to a store and getting properly fitted. If you're dead-set on buying online, at least go to a department store and asked to get measured so you maximize your chance at buying the correct size. Even then, though, you're probably going to have to get it tailored to fit completely right (especially the pants).

I recommend the Macy's house suit line (it was called Alfani Red when I purchased; not sure if they're still calling it that). Decent slim fit suits that you can get for ~$250 on sale. Put another ~$150 into tailoring and you're golden.

I recommend the Macy's house suit line (it was called Alfani Red when I purchased; not sure if they're still calling it that). Decent slim fit suits that you can get for ~$250 on sale. Put another ~$150 into tailoring and you're golden.

This. Macy's has a sale every other week and if you have a slim physique, these suits are a good option. No need to spend a ton of money.

I got a suit at Banana Republic that I used for interviews that I really liked. It was in the $500 range. They have three different suit cuts; one that is more traditional and relaxed, one that is very slim and Euro-looking, and one that is right in between (what I got). So you'll find something that is right for you.

OP, here's my personal thoughts on suits for interviews. First, realize that if you are accepted you will wear this same suit and its brothers for many years to come, irregardless of specialty. Second, never ever buy a suit online unless you recently (as in the last 6 months) bought a suit and you remember every one of your intimate sizing details (many men know their jacket size and their pants size but might not know their sleeve length, how much to bring it in or take it out in the back, inner hem length, etc until you have a tailor work with you and many find this helpful to accomplish every suit purchase). Third, shop around some unless you have a personal preference for a particular store, i.e. mine is Men's Wearhouse because of their constant professionalism, knowledge about suits for particular occasions, wide range of selection for all occasions, and the friendliness of their salespeople. I have shopped other stores as well, but in my opinion the Men's Wearhouse is the absolute best. (an added benefit is that they have a free club for accruing points from purchases that will give you coupons, etc toward future purchases and for me this will come in very handy over the years)

Case in point, I recently acquired a suit at Men's Wearhouse as a result of getting married and using the Men's Wearhouse for my groom party which gave me a coupon for up to $450 for a suit. They were professional in the knowledge of knowing which suits are best for professional interviews down to the minutest point. Overall, you want a black or navy suit for this occasion with a tie that doesn't contain a lot of designs that are going to detract from what you are saying during your interview (I settled on a red tie with stripes here). I own two other suits in addition to this suit (one black and one tan) that I will be using for interviews, which I bought at Kohl's. In my personal opinion, my most recent suit not only fits me the best due to recent tailoring and fitting but it looks outstanding. I was honestly able to spend around $200 including a new tie, tie chain and the tailoring. Also, they do a top notch job in presenting multiple looks with the one suit, which I think is important especially in the long run (after interviews). In addition to all of this, I have used all of my suits recently in the last six months due to interviews for letters as well as my wife undergoing the USCIS process for permanent residency. Of the three suits, the suit that I most recently acquired offers me the absolute best fit because it was tailored to me by a professional tailor (hard to get when you are buying online). When you're buying your first suit, it is ok to ask for help from knowledgeable people and to try on multiple brands, multiple styles, etc all before deciding which suit is the best. Even if you live in the middle of nowhere, buying a suit is an imperative trip to the closest shopping mecca to shop for a fantastic suit for you. Someone has already mentioned a slim fit suit, but this might not fit YOU the best but of course you won't know until you try it on. Some look fantastic in a design like this, others look absolutely horrid when they wear this style of a suit. I hope my anecdotal story helps and good luck with acquiring your first suit.

I looked in about three different stores that specialized in men's formal wear. I couldn't find any slim fit suits in my size. I am definitely not below average height for a male but it seemed everything was either for a 7 footer or for those with at least a 38 waist.
Secondly, everything was too expensive. I went to Macy's and found something within minutes that was exactly what I was looking for. Tailoring was also very reasonable there (I think somewhere around $50). Best way to go.

I looked in about three different stores that specialized in men's formal wear. I couldn't find any slim fit suits in my size. I am definitely not below average height for a male but it seemed everything was either for a 7 footer or for those with at least a 38 waist.
Secondly, everything was too expensive. I went to Macy's and found something within minutes that was exactly what I was looking for. Tailoring was also very reasonable there (I think somewhere around $50). Best way to go.

That's exactly how men's wearhouse was for me. I eventually just went to a department and said I wanted a more modern cut. I ended up with a hugo boss pinstriped suit that actually fit (and made my caboose look amazing, not that it wasn't amazing to begin with.)

The key is this: Don't be afraid to say no if you think you look like a clown. You have to wear this thing with confidence to your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can actually find a made to measure suit for $500 (although probably doesn't include sales tax).

Mysuitny.com.

You'll need to get measured though, and I'm not sure if they have any stores outside NYC yet.

That's exactly how men's wearhouse was for me. I eventually just went to a department and said I wanted a more modern cut. I ended up with a hugo boss pinstriped suit that actually fit (and made my caboose look amazing, not that it wasn't amazing to begin with.)

The key is this: Don't be afraid to say no if you think you look like a clown. You have to wear this thing with confidence to your interviews.

Yes, don't go for Charlie Chaplin's Little Tramp look. Hmmm, stupid American obesity making it difficult to find well-fitting slim fit suits.

CharlieChaplin.jpg

Yes, don't go for Charlie Chaplin's Little Tramp look. Hmmm, stupid American obesity making it difficult to find well-fitting slim fit suits.

CharlieChaplin.jpg

If you can get to NYC, seriously try mysuitny. They only need to measure you in store, they then let you design the suit online and mail it to you.

CharlieChaplin.jpg

I don't know, man. I'm kind of liking this look more and more the more I stare. Thinking of wearing this suit to my Princeton College of Medicine interview.

Hey man,

I recently ordered a suit from thick as thieves (like 5 days ago), I'll let you know how the fit is when I receive it. I can tell you that the guy, Jason, was great to work with. He got back to my e-mails within a day, recommended fabric based on my color preferences, and answered all my questions about the buying process. I went this route primarily because I couldn't find anything in stores (after like 4 shopping attempts) that fit me right (40 chest, 31 waist) and didn't want to go with separates. Not a plug, just sayin' the buying process was painless and you have at least one other person on SDN who went this route.

This is what I ended up buying. I got the suit, shoes, 2 ties, and a dress shirt for 300$ total on sale. The suit fit so well that tailoring only cost me 10$!

I agree with gray. It is definitely the way to go for med school interviews.

This may be anecdotal, but i interviewed with a nice black $500 suit for two cycles and didn't get in either time. The third time around, I got my measurements taken at a tailor, bought a really nice gray wool Michael Kors suit on Overstock for $200 (normally 3x that much), then went back to the tailor to get it tailored. Accepted.

Thanks for any help
I have heard good feedback about Thick as Thieves. I've ordered a suit online before, but never a m2m suit.

I have heard good feedback about Thick as Thieves. I've ordered a suit online before, but never a m2m suit.

I've ordered a made to measure suit online - shoulders didn't work in normal suits.

The stitching was a bit weak at mysuitny, but overall was happy (they fixed anything that went wrong for free, and the suit stood up to a fair amount of punishment).

Just for the record, what are the thoughts on Jos. A. Bank suits?

I agree with gray. It is definitely the way to go for med school interviews.

This may be anecdotal, but i interviewed with a nice black $500 suit for two cycles and didn't get in either time. The third time around, I got my measurements taken at a tailor, bought a really nice gray wool Michael Kors suit on Overstock for $200 (normally 3x that much), then went back to the tailor to get it tailored. Accepted.
This could also be purely anecdotal and reflected changes in other parts of you as the applicant or interviews. I personally have always experienced better luck in interviews with wearing black or a black/grey pinstripe. There is truth to certain people look better in certain colors as well.

Where the girls at?? ;)

I found good ready made suits at Express and H&M. My H&M set was about $200 and I am still very happy with it. However, had hard time getting pants that did not hug the buttocks too inappropriately. I recommend going pant size up and then getting the waist hemmed.

Materials from Express were nicer than H&M. Silkier lining.

Gray made me look too drab, less serious/professional. As a fair skinned, blondy I chose black for the contrast . . . because I felt more awesome in black than gray. More like an assassin than an insurance sales person. I'm not hating on gray, but, I say choose what makes you feel more awesome. . . unless it is animal print.:laugh: . . .

Any other ladies resources out there? Other than the extremely expensive designer section at Nordstroms?

Where the girls at?? ;)

I found good ready made suits at Express and H&M. My H&M set was about $200 and I am still very happy with it. However, had hard time getting pants that did not hug the buttocks too inappropriately. I recommend going pant size up and then getting the waist hemmed.

Materials from Express were nicer than H&M. Silkier lining.

Gray made me look too drab, less serious/professional. As a fair skinned, blondy I chose black for the contrast . . . because I felt more awesome in black than gray. More like an assassin than an insurance sales person. I'm not hating on gray, but, I say choose what makes you feel more awesome. . . unless it is animal print.:laugh: . . .

Any other ladies resources out there? Other than the extremely expensive designer section at Nordstroms?
Definitely this... Wear what you feel the most comfortable with in color while avoiding any radicals in color (i.e. a white suit is definitely not recommended for interviews). Many will find that black/navy blue looks better for them because of their skin tone and hair color. Black/navy blue are very common in the medical field because of the professional, clean cut look that it gives them. (yes for some of us it makes us look like assassins at first, but that's the look assassins are going for as well :laugh:)

Black/navy blue are very common in the medical field because of the professional, clean cut look that it gives them. (yes for some of us it makes us look like assassins at first, but that's the look assassins are going for as well :laugh:)

Black is only common in the medical field inasmuch as doctors have terrible, terrible fashion sense.

Definitely this... Wear what you feel the most comfortable with in color while avoiding any radicals in color (i.e. a white suit is definitely not recommended for interviews). Many will find that black/navy blue looks better for them because of their skin tone and hair color. Black/navy blue are very common in the medical field because of the professional, clean cut look that it gives them. (yes for some of us it makes us look like assassins at first, but that's the look assassins are going for as well :laugh:)

This is horrible advice. Do not wear black to your medical school interview. It's an amateur mistake. Go with either a grey/charcoal or navy suit.

Go with a navy Zara.com suit and light brown leather cap toe shows. 3inch tie yellow in color.

I actually saw one or two guys at my last interview not IN suits! They were in button-downs, and at least one guy didn't even shave (wasn't "snazzy" stubble, just "forgot my razor" stubble).

I actually saw one or two guys at my last interview not IN suits! They were in button-downs, and at least one guy didn't even shave (wasn't "snazzy" stubble, just "forgot my razor" stubble).

Every interview I hoped so much that I was going to see someone with no suit... it never happened. The best I saw was one guy with a very crooked and loose tie, messy and unkept hair, and a few day old stubble. He looked like he had just woken up after passing out from being the drunk at the annual office party.

I was told to go with navy or charcoal and I tend to agree. I did see many people wearing black on the interview trail so it isn't the end of the world.

Holy hatred-of-the-black-suit, Batman!!

Glad I was lucky enough to make it in with my black rags.

Can someone please establish a poll to test the correlation between suit color and acceptances?
:confused:

Holy hatred-of-the-black-suit, Batman!!

Glad I was lucky enough to make it in with my black rags.

Can someone please establish a poll to test the correlation between suit color and acceptances?
:confused:

No one is saying a black suit is going to get you rejected. It's simply not the ideal suit color for a medical school interview. I'd wear black to a more formal event like a wedding.

No one is saying a black suit is going to get you rejected. It's simply not the ideal suit color for a medical school interview. I'd wear black to a more formal event like a wedding.

Maybe med school interviews are less formal, but for residency interviews I did not see a single blue suit.

Black or gray only.

No one is saying a black suit will keep you out of med school (I hope, at least). What is being said, however, is that black suits are a huge fashion faux pas basically unless you're going to a funeral. There is virtually no other occasion where black is the correct suit color choice.

Your first suit purchase should be charcoal, and your second should be navy. The reason you (johnnydrama and others) don't see Navy suits at interviews is because premed students know absolutely nothing about how to dress properly (don't feel bad, a lot of grown ups doing either). There is nothing informal about a navy suit at all.

Fortunately, black suits were in the minority for residency interviews (mostly charcoals and navy), so at least a lot of students learned the errors of their ways between undergrad and 4th year of med school. But you could still spot the black suits, and it's like screaming "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!"

Seriously, do yourself a favor and if you don't own a suit yet, do NOT buy a black one. If you already own a black suit, tuck it away somewhere in the back of your closet for your next funeral, but you'd better hope you have another colored suit for any other occasion that requires you wear one.

No one is saying a black suit will keep you out of med school (I hope, at least). What is being said, however, is that black suits are a huge fashion faux pas basically unless you're going to a funeral. There is virtually no other occasion where black is the correct suit color choice.

Your first suit purchase should be charcoal, and your second should be navy. The reason you (johnnydrama and others) don't see Navy suits at interviews is because premed students know absolutely nothing about how to dress properly (don't feel bad, a lot of grown ups doing either). There is nothing informal about a navy suit at all.

Fortunately, black suits were in the minority for residency interviews (mostly charcoals and navy), so at least a lot of students learned the errors of their ways between undergrad and 4th year of med school. But you could still spot the black suits, and it's like screaming "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!"

Seriously, do yourself a favor and if you don't own a suit yet, do NOT buy a black one. If you already own a black suit, tuck it away somewhere in the back of your closet for your next funeral, but you'd better hope you have another colored suit for any other occasion that requires you wear one.

I've been worried about failing my Fashion and Medicine course in the fall. What should I do over the summer to prepare?

This whole argument over suit color (not just what you said, but what everyone has been saying) is ridiculous. Seriously. One awesome singing and puppy kicking chick from last year wore a pink suit, and Mayo absolutely adores her.

WEAR A SUIT.

Maybe med school interviews are less formal, but for residency interviews I did not see a single blue suit.

Black or gray only.
Very surprised to hear this. I wore navy to 27 residency interviews and I was never the only one wearing navy. Charcoal was definitely the favorite, followed by navy, followed by black.

Other words of advice: Don't go over the top with a euro style slim fit suit.

You want a conservative suit that fits properly.