AUA match vs NRMP match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurghStudent

lurker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the difference is between the AUA match and the NRMP match. Do both matches include the same applicants for a urology residency? Is there overlap in their match data? Do osteopathic graduates match via the AUA match program?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what the difference is between the AUA match and the NRMP match. Do both matches include the same applicants for a urology residency? Is there overlap in their match data? Do osteopathic graduates match via the AUA match program?

Thank you!

The AUA coordinates the match for Urology, the NRMP coordinates the match for basically every other specialty. Everyone applying to MD Urology programs goes through the AUA, though osteopathic students applying to osteopathic programs use the seperate DO match. The logistics work like this for applying to MD Urology.

(1) Apply through ERAS (the same application service that everyone uses)
(2) Go on interviews
(3) Rank and match through the AUA (instead of the NRMP like basically everyone else)
(4) After you match, some programs make you register through the NRMP as a formality to hold a spot in their surgery "prelim" intern year.

Reactions: 1 users
The AUA coordinates the match for Urology, the NRMP coordinates the match for basically every other specialty. Everyone applying to MD Urology programs goes through the AUA, though osteopathic students applying to osteopathic programs use the seperate DO match. The logistics work like this for applying to MD Urology.

(1) Apply through ERAS (the same application service that everyone uses)
(2) Go on interviews
(3) Rank and match through the AUA (instead of the NRMP like basically everyone else)
(4) After you match, some programs make you register through the NRMP as a formality to hold a spot in their surgery "prelim" intern year.

Thank you for your response.

So, do the number of students in a surgery prelim year in the NRMP data overlap with the number of students matching into urology programs (i.e. AUA data)? Forgive my ignorance, but, alternatively, does that mean that urology bound graduates need to complete a prelim year first?

Thank you for your response.

So, do the number of students in a surgery prelim year in the NRMP data overlap with the number of students matching into urology programs (i.e. AUA data)? Forgive my ignorance, but, alternatively, does that mean that urology bound graduates need to complete a prelim year first?

Yes to the first question. At some (not all) institutions Urology residents will be in the Prelim surgery data.

For the second question, it's a little complicated. All Urology programs include some time in general surgery, from as little to 4 months to as much as 1.5 years. How this is coordinated is entirely program dependent. At some places Urology interns are considered Urology residents who happen to be rotating on gensurg, and no registration with the NRMP is needed. At others (including my program), our intern year is "run" by gensurg as a prelim and we just happen to rotate on urology for several months. We are guaranteed a spot in the "prelim" year after matching into Urology and just have to register with the NRMP as a formality.

So there is no hard requirement for a prelim year for Urology (like there is for radiology, anesthesia, etc.), but some places have you considered a surgery prelim for administration purposes.