Auburn vs. Mississippi vs. Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmedclassof19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been accepted to all three, and am having a tough time deciding because they have strengths in different areas. I'm interested in zoo, wildlife, and zoonotic disease, but I also want to go somewhere that has a good student life so I don't "burn out." I also want somewhere with faculty involvement and good opportunities for internships, externships, and residencies. Any advice on any of these?

Members don't see this ad.

Is one of them your IS school? If so, while cost isn't 100% everything, it definitely should be factored into the equation, especially since all of these schools will give you a good education with good opportunities if you look for them.

While I can't speak for Illinois, Auburn, or Mississippi, I did want to raise a minor point that you mentioned about "burning-out." Regardless of where you go, regardless of how much you love the school, the curriculum, the support system, your classmates, or your awesome opportunities that you get there, you might have a risk of burning out somewhere along the way. Who's to say if you may experience a little less burnout at this school or more at this school, but that risk factor is still there. Unfortunately that's just the nature of the beast that is vet school.

Last edited: