AuD student survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audresearch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the initial stages of data collection for research project. If you are currently an AuD student, please consider taking a couple minutes to complete this 10 question anonymous survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MLQSRVW

Thanks for your help! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I took the survey :)
Let us know how it goes!

From a research methodology perspective, I'm very concerned that you've chosen to solicit research participants by simply posting the link to the survey on SDN. This completely invalidates all of your data, since anyone (Au.D. student or not) can click the link and submit information. Such a survey should be submitted directly to Au.D. student email addresses.

Members don't see this ad :)
From a research methodology perspective, I'm very concerned that you've chosen to solicit research participants by simply posting the link to the survey on SDN. This completely invalidates all of your data, since anyone (Au.D. student or not) can click the link and submit information. Such a survey should be submitted directly to Au.D. student email addresses.

I completely understand and appreciate your concerns. However, this is simply a poll. It is not scientific and is not intended to be published in a research journal. Having experienced 3 years as a research assistant while in grad school doing data collection and analysis for publication, I fully understand this. Of course, there will be those who take this survey that maybe aren't truthful, but let's hope those are the exception and not the norm. This is really no different than going to a webpage that has poll questions for its viewers.

Has it gone out to AuD student emails also--yes. But, again this is very preliminary and I hope all the AuD students on the site will have a couple minutes to go through the questions.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MLQSRVW

Thanks!

PS: I probably should have specified in my original post, which is likely where the confusion came in, that this was a personal research project-- not school related (I am not a student).

Last edited:
We've had about 35 responses in the past few days and we are looking for more. Here's some interesting early feedback:

1) Majority of respondents (51%) want to work in a Hospital setting upon graduation
2) 39% of respondents anticipate loan debt exceeding $100K after completing their AuD
3) 42% believe we should return to CFY-style format for the externship year, conferring the AuD at year 3 of the program.

Thank you to those who have already taken the survey. If you haven't taken it yet,please do so: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MLQSRVW

Thank you for posting.

We've had about 35 responses in the past few days and we are looking for more. Here's some interesting early feedback:

1) Majority of respondents (51%) want to work in a Hospital setting upon graduation
2) 39% of respondents anticipate loan debt exceeding $100K after completing their AuD
3) 42% believe we should return to CFY-style format for the externship year, conferring the AuD at year 3 of the program.

Thank you to those who have already taken the survey. If you haven't taken it yet,please do so: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MLQSRVW

Will it help you at all if new AuD students starting in the next few weeks take your survey?

Will it help you at all if new AuD students starting in the next few weeks take your survey?

Yes, you would be considered a 1st year on the survey. Do as best you can to estimate things. If you don't know or question doesn't apply, most of the questions allow you to post comments.

Thank you!

I'm going to keep it up through the next couple of weeks, so we can accumulate more data. If any of you students out there haven't taken it, please do so!

I would love to see the AuD move to a 3 year clinical degree (schools need to drop the research project unless the student wants a PhD/AuD) with a CFY.

IT does hurt our profession in some settings not having this model. The VA system is one. Students who are in their CFY for speech make substantially more their CFY year than Audiology students make for their 4th year externship. Why? Because speech students already hold their degree when they are hired and audiology students do not.

IT also makes a difference in how pay grades are calculated in the VA system. It's quite easy to become a GS 13 as an SLP, but to become one as an AuD one must usually be specialized (balance, tinnitus, CI's, etc.) to get GS 13 pay level. It's based on how the pay system does experience and degrees. A program that has a terminal degree then a CFY gets a higher pay grade than a program where the CFY or 4th year is a component of the program.

So as you can see the current model of 4 years then your AuD does hurt our profession.