Audiology or Dietetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audiwannabe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a High School Junior. I know that this is an audiology forum but I didn't know where to post this so... anyway I am trying to decide between a career in audiology and dietetics. Can anyone tell me about these careers? Pros? Cons? And good Undergraduate Schools in the Midwest for these majors?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I think it's wonderful that you are exploring careers during high school. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about dietetics but I'm sure you can find lots of good information on other forums. As for audiology, there is quite a bit of information on this forum, and in past discussions you will find many threads that debate the pro's and con's of audiology. There are strong opinions on both sides, but one factor that is generally agreed upon is that career options and salary potential are much greater for those who hold a Ph.D. (research-oriented degree) in audiology versus an Au.D. (clinically-oriented degree). The Ph.D. generally takes longer (usually about 5-6 years after the bachelor's degree; requires research culminating in a dissertation) and is more academically rigorous than the Au.D. , which takes 4 years and no dissertation but requires a one-year clinical externship. Also keep in mind that most universities will pay your tuition and a modest stipend during a Ph.D. program. (if they don't, don't go there). In an Au.D. program, you will pay everything in most cases. Some schools also offer a combined Au.D/Ph.D.

You've got lot's of time to choose a career (and you may even decide on something else besides dietetics or audiology). During your undergraduate years, pick a major and choose courses that interest you and where you have natural ability. Build a list of your best skills and include those things that other people say you are good at. Try not to think in terms of passion (most people don't have a true passion) but instead what jobs will make the best use of your talents and ability...this will lead to higher job satisfaction rather than trying to identify a passion.

Good luck, study hard, and enjoy the journey!