Audiology program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audiology2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how selective Nova Southeastern University is for their audiology program?

Can anyone in their audiology program provide more information about the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how selective Nova Southeastern University is for their audiology program?

Can anyone in their audiology program provide more information about the program?

It really depends on the applicant pool. Some years less apply and others more apply.. it depends. What are your stats?

Nova's not particularly selective, but the later and later you wait to apply, the lower your chances of being accepted are, since the spots are filling up. If you're interested in the program and haven't applied yet, get on it ASAP.

I interviewed back in December, and I liked their program more than I thought I would. I mentioned in another post that Nova is strong in vestibular, and the inventor of Neuromonics is on the faculty. They have 100% pass rate on the PRAXIS and 100% of their students find employment after graduation, although they don't necessarily get the job (or externship) they hope for.

The faculty and students do some mission trips, which I think is pretty cool, and everyone I met down there seemed very nice, and the campus is beautiful. Plus, Ft. Lauderdale is just an awesome place.

However, I would say one weakness of the program is cochlear implants, which is one of the main reasons Nova isn't exactly my first choice...but it's fine for someone who isn't really into CI stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything from Nova's audiology program? If you have, how long did it take until you knew of the admissions decision?

I interviewed on Dec. 11 and heard back within a week. However, they wanted me to put a $500 deposit down like a week ago, and I didn't do it, since I don't really want to go there and expect to get into other schools.

Did they contact you by phone, e-mail, or postal mail?

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Thanks!

Well, I think they normally just send you a packet, but in this case they called me because it was going to take a while for them to send the packet, given that they were about to go on Christmas break. The packet probably arrived around Jan 13 or so? I'm not sure because it went to my "permanent address" rather than where I actually live :D

I interviewed on Dec. 11 and heard back within a week. However, they wanted me to put a $500 deposit down like a week ago, and I didn't do it, since I don't really want to go there and expect to get into other schools.

My faculty are telling me that programs are required to give us until April 15th to make decisions, per some agreement all the programs have made. Does anyone know about this???

Hmm, I'm not sure, but I don't think that's true, because UT-Dallas has an early admission program, and they want you to reply by the end of November for that, and UT-Dallas is definitely a legit program, ranked 4th (I think) and just generally awesome. However, I *do* think that when someone asks you to give them an early response, you should ask yourself why exactly they are trying to lock you in so soon.

Audie2014,

My close friend and audiologist graduated from UT-Dallas with her AuD a couple years back and she's BUGGING to apply there. I have never been to Dallas or even Texas!! So, I don't know. I definitely need to check out their program. What did you learn about their AuD program besides it being ranked #4?

Well, just so you know, I think the deadline has passed. But I actually went and visited. Their clinic is AMAZING. It is huge and completely state-of-the-art. The great thing about Dallas is that it has a huge medical community, so people come from all over Texas to be treated there, meaning you get to see lots of cool/weird stuff. UT-Dallas gives every student admitted a $1000 scholarship, and somehow that makes you eligible for in-state tuition (not sure how, but that's what they say). The only thing I didn't like was that the Callier Center is located outside of the main part of Dallas (but close by) in kind of an ugly, depressing area. There are plenty of places to eat and stuff, but I just knew I couldn't picture myself there (unless I don't get into my top choices). I would recommend visiting because it really is the type of place you might not feel at home, despite the fact the program is wonderful.

My faculty are telling me that programs are required to give us until April 15th to make decisions, per some agreement all the programs have made. Does anyone know about this???
Any school that is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools is supposed to give you until April 15th, but they don't all comply with the regulations. I had a school last semester that wanted to give me 2 weeks to decide from the date I got the admissions letter. I emailed them and they gave me an extension to decide. Here is the link about it:
http://www.cgsnet.org/?tabid=201

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thanks so much for the link. I'm asking Nova for an extension. I really want to discuss this with Dallas, but it just seems like I've waited too long...

Thanks Audie2014! I am not applying for Fall 2010 because I'm only a junior at undergraduate level. Thank you so much for the info. I will definitely plan a road trip there sometime in May. :)

Hey guys, apparently, the reason Nova doesn't give until April 15 is that the agreement by the Council of Graduate Schools applies to scholarship offers, and Nova doesn't offer scholarships. If you do double-check the wording on the link, you'll find this: "The Resolution is concerned with the conditions surrounding the acceptance of offers of certain kinds of graduate student financial assistance, namely, scholarships, fellowships, traineeships, and assistantships."

Q: If Nova offers you an interview, does that likely mean you have a good shot at an acceptance (for any of you that have gotten in)?

Hey guys, apparently, the reason Nova doesn't give until April 15 is that the agreement by the Council of Graduate Schools applies to scholarship offers, and Nova doesn't offer scholarships. If you do double-check the wording on the link, you'll find this: "The Resolution is concerned with the conditions surrounding the acceptance of offers of certain kinds of graduate student financial assistance, namely, scholarships, fellowships, traineeships, and assistantships."

Hi all. I was able to find out more specifics about this. It's actually a requirement of the Council on Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders, which isn't the same as what's been posted here and applies to both admission and financial aid. The resolution states:

RESOLVED, That the Council recommend that graduate programs allow applicants until April 15 to make final decisions regarding acceptance of offers of admission and financial aid for the following summer or fall semester.

Here's the link:

http://www.capcsd.org/reports/sr98Jun.htm#TheReport

Q: If Nova offers you an interview, does that likely mean you have a good shot at an acceptance (for any of you that have gotten in)?

Well when I interviewed at Nova for their AuD program only 1/2 of the people interviewing that day were accepted. If you call them they will let you know if you were admitted. I interviewed on a Friday and heard from them on the following Tuesday. I am a current student at NOVA and thus far I love the program. Our Praxis passing rate is 100% thus far, we just received our scores for our third year class...and they scored above the national average!! :) If you have any further questions let me know, I would love to provide for info.

thanks audcrz for your information. you right Nova is very nice program i also plan to got admission in Nova. any suggestion which you like to provide me.
thanks

It took me just about 2 weeks to hear back from my interview date which was at the end of March. There were about 15 of us inteviewing that day, but I am not sure how many were accepted.

It took me just about 2 weeks to hear back from my interview date which was at the end of March. There were about 15 of us inteviewing that day, but I am not sure how many were accepted.

I had to wait about the same amount of time. :scared:

Hated the wait, but it was over before I knew it. I did pretty good in my interview as well, so I ain't complaining!

Well, just so you know, I think the deadline has passed. But I actually went and visited. Their clinic is AMAZING. It is huge and completely state-of-the-art. The great thing about Dallas is that it has a huge medical community, so people come from all over Texas to be treated there, meaning you get to see lots of cool/weird stuff. UT-Dallas gives every student admitted a $1000 scholarship, and somehow that makes you eligible for in-state tuition (not sure how, but that's what they say). The only thing I didn't like was that the Callier Center is located outside of the main part of Dallas (but close by) in kind of an ugly, depressing area. There are plenty of places to eat and stuff, but I just knew I couldn't picture myself there (unless I don't get into my top choices). I would recommend visiting because it really is the type of place you might not feel at home, despite the fact the program is wonderful.

Glad you came to visit UT Dallas! I am actually graduating this May with my M.S. in cognitive neuroscience. Many of my classes have been at the Callier Center in Richardson, not Dallas. UT Dallas has two Callier Centers. The one located on the main campus is fantastic and state of the art.